SASS Wire Forum

How does one acquire a MENTOR?

I have already felt a kinship with those who have responded to my posted topics, kind of like a family of "paper" mentors.

As great as that is in the cyber world, I would like to be able to have a mentor at our local club; however, unsure how to approach this.

I understand that as you begin to shoot in monthly matches, especially as a newbie, fellow members will assist you, answer your questions and make sure you follow the rules. What I want to know is if there is a mentor program at each club, and if not, what is the best way to match with someone.

Not sure if this is making sense as it really is a personal matter which can develop between two strangers.

If anyone out there either had a mentor or currently has one, how did you make it happen?

No such program at our club... but one can always ask. If you don't, how're they to say yes?

I maybe just lucky.At Orange,Tx. and at Lake Charles,La. if anyone is wanting help with anything it will be offered.If you want to shoot gunfighter and don't know where to start,there lots of gunfighter that will help you.It does not matter how you shoot someone will help you or what you shoot someone will help you.Possum Skinner has been my mentor,Crosscut Hardy and Texas Gator have been my mentors.Anything they can do to help they will do.Possum has put on a school for us ,just to help.If you can't learn from a world champion and many time LA. champion gunfighter,a 6 time La. state S. Gunfighter and a texas state S Gunfighter champion then there may not be any help for you.There are Duelist,D Duelist,two hand shooters and outlaw shooters that will help you any way they can.I think I am lucky just to have pards like I do.

Howdy. Usually all I have to do, is start doing something myself and there are people all over telling I am doing it wrong. And telling me how I should have done it!! Seriously, the "family" takes care of you and of all the people who come forward, there is someone who you will develop a bond with. Common interests or/ backround will sometimes be the deciding factor. Using all old phrase==" Just do it" and he will come. Good luck GW

Most all clubs have a shooters meeting of all shooters before the match starts. During this meeting raise your hand and shot out new cowboy shooter. I need a mentor, and you will likely get several folks to volunteer on your assigned posse.

We've all had mentors and even been mentors. At our club there are senior members with experience and have extra equipment to help someone new get started.

Even though Mary and I are relitevly new to the game, we are RO1 and RO2 trained and can certainly answer a lot of questions. As for guidance on improving their scores, they need to watch and ask questions of the faster shooters.

"...how did you make it happen?"

Most folks enjoy a sincere compliment. If you see a shooter, male or female, whose technique you admire, just tell them so and ask for some coaching. This would apply to running the timer and other posse jobs as well as shooting technique. It's hard to imagine anyone turning an admirer away. Instead of trying to find only one mentor, you can learn from everyone this way.

Not every club has someone with the skill to assist a top shooter candidate. In a our case attend you local matches and find a friend. Then you'll have someone to shoot with and you can help each other.

How i picked up my mentors? Sucked so bad they took pity on me

I have already felt a kinship with those who have responded to my posted topics, kind of like a family of "paper" mentors.

As great as that is in the cyber world, I would like to be able to have a mentor at our local club; however, unsure how to approach this.

I understand that as you begin to shoot in monthly matches, especially as a newbie, fellow members will assist you, answer your questions and make sure you follow the rules. What I want to know is if there is a mentor program at each club, and if not, what is the best way to match with someone.

Not sure if this is making sense as it really is a personal matter which can develop between two strangers.

If anyone out there either had a mentor or currently has one, how did you make it happen?

Where are you located pard? Find your local club and contact someone with the club. Ask them to help you out. Best people in the world.

Howdy Father Kit,

I am familiar with your listed club (Lake County Pistoleros) and shoot there sometimes. Some of the best shooters in the country are regulars there. If you start going to their matches you will be offered a lot of help and advice. It's is a great club with great people.

CB

Some of the best shooters, fastest shooters, and friendliest folks hang their hat down in Florida.

Go to some matches and you will quickly find out that you are among some WORLD CLASS shooters.

And those World Class shooters will be more than happy to help you out.

..........Widder

Not every club has someone with the skill to assist a top shooter candidate. In a our case attend you local matches and find a friend. Then you'll have someone to shoot with and you can help each other.

Quite true, in fact many people who are very good at something are not very good at coaching and explaining what they do to others. They often do not even know what makes them so good, they just do it. It's "them that can't do, teach". As Blackey suggests, find someone nearby who is also serious about improving their skills and work together.

Move to McLeansville, NC. ;)

How do you find a “Mentor”? Most likely, they will find you. They may be out there already watching you, waiting, sizing you up. You just don’t know it yet. Oh sure, they’ll give you some pointers like everybody else. If they are running the clock when you come to the line, they might even mention softly to you when you are staging your shotgun way over at table ‘B’, that “that sure is a long way to go before you even touch that shotgun when you have been given the option to pick it up after the rifle right here at table ‘A’” just to see what you do with that tidbit of information. They want to see how you react. Are you teachable? Do you listen? Are you a safe gun handler? Can you correct bad habits? How dedicated to the sport are you? Do you put forth an effort on the posse? Are you worth the investment of their time? These are some of the things that your prospective “Mentor” is watching for. If you pass muster with them, you may find them next to your gun cart after a stage a little more often giving you more little tidbits of knowledge, reinforcing what you did right and pointing out what may need improving. Pretty soon, they may even ask you to step over to bay 3 after the match and work on a couple of things to get your times down. And then that’s when it begins. Welcome to the fold.

Boothill

The unfortunate reality is there is nobody who shoots at the Lake County Pistoleros that knows how to shoot . . . if you don't count some of the top shooters in the country who shoot there. :)

And on a serious note, I'd contact the match director, Arcadia Outlaw or the Territorial Governor, Santa Fe River Stan and discuss with them what you are looking for in a mentor. I've been involved in a mentoring program and can tell you that not everyone is looking for the same thing. Some are looking to be the best/fastest shooter they can be. Others are looking to be a soot lord. There are many approaches to having fun.

Just from looking at the scores from this month's match, I'd venture there's someone there that would be happy to help you be whatever you want to be. I didn't see your alias on the list. Have you started attending matches?

Here's the committee members' contact information.

June Scores. There's somebody on this list (probably multiple) who will be happy to help.

Just look for a purple arm band

Certainly a good place to start!

We Dooleys will help.

FATHER KCGG,

WELL, have you obtained your mentor(s)?

There are so many World Class shooters in Florida that it would be a shame for you to not introduce yeself and start 'observing' and 'asking' questions.

Let us know how you are progressing.

..........Widder

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for all of the help today at Eustis. You got to see some of the absolute best shooters in the country today. Sometimes observation is the best mentor one could have. You going out and helping with posse duties (not even shooting) goes a long way in my book.

Thanks again

Sun

Thank you for all of the help today at Eustis. You got to see some of the absolute best shooters in the country today. Sometimes observation is the best mentor one could have. You going out and helping with posse duties (not even shooting) goes a long way in my book.

Thanks again

Sun

Yep , he also came out for set up,

AO

I felt your pain. Took a while before I started getting really good help. It's hard to follow tips when you are still feeling buzzer freak out. But keep trying. ASK! I try and help shooters all I can but ask if they would like a tip before I give it and follow up at subsequent matches. Even seasoned shooters get sloppy and need reminders. Myself included. My mentor is Cowhand and we became friends first. Video yourself and study those. Practice techniques slowly and get the moves right. It's very difficult to break bad habits. Speed comes later.

Archived