SASS Wire Forum

EOT overall a great match - Just one pet peeve

Very well run match, stages, entertainment etc. BUT....

1. When side matches allow someone to shoot 10, 20, 30 or more times for their fastest score to win, the winner will be someone willing to stick around that side match with their bag of ammo to keep shooting to beat the last one who just beat them. I watched someone shoot more than 10 times before they got off all their shots and let alone hit all the targets. They shot very fast finally when they got it together. Good thing they weren't facing someone shooting back. I don't fault the shooter - those were the rules. I know the score keepers only want to keep the fastest time for the sake of simplicity, so shoot as many times as you want but announce when this time will be your scored time. Seems simple to me. If you don't want to punch a card to keep track then rely on the honesty of the shooters not to come back to shoot again. Nobody worth their salt will cheat in our game.

2. Why not announce the times for each event. I would have liked to know how close I was and maybe others would too. This should be posted also as well as announced at the awards.

We will be definitely be back next year.

P.S. So I am not misunderstood. Allow the shooters to shoot as many times as they want just not for time. That way buddies can still compete against each other for bragging rights. It could even be announced to show just how fast any side match can be shot.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like the 'Shoot as much as you want and let THE FASTEST run of the day' determine the winner.

What good is winning the event if your competition was faster than you yet managed to get a bad run on one particular occasion.

Part of the fun is battling it out with everyone while they are also battling it out with you. And the fastest run of the day should be recognized as such.

Anyhow, thats just my opinion.

I've participated in various setups and they are all fun side events.

..........Widder

I would disagree, if time allows, let them run it for time as many times as they want. Then it will truly be the fastest time not the one where one person got lucky. I have enjoyed the back and forth with Last Chance Morales or Fast Fingers Green on Pocket Pistol. Fastest Derringer battles between Waterloo and Colorado Jackson are also epic. One and done are just boring IMHO.

Won it, bought it.

Hi Blazen!

I hope to see you and Sonora again at the Regional.

Although I rarely do any speed side matches, I do have one thought about them. I hope that those who want to shoot again and again will not go ahead of someone who has not shot the particular event at all. It would be kind of them to ask someone who just got there, if they'd shot yet and let them go before shooting again.

The same goes for trap. At one match where they had two days of trap, it was so busy the first day that I decided to try the next day. Some of the same people who shot on day one where there on day two and I would have had to wait for them to finish. I stood around a while and left. I know, I should have been there earlier, only I couldn't as the Plainsman, which I almost always shoot, didn't get over in time for me to get there any earlier.

That is my only complaint about multiple do-overs in an attempt to win, as usually the money they pay do so goes to charity.

Regards,

Allie

PS I do agree that the fastest one to three times should be announced. Some matches do that even though there is only an award for first.

My preference would be to allow a shooter to shoot until he is satisfied with his time, Then says that's it. That way, if he has a hiccup on his first try he is not stuck with a bad time. Especially when shooting old pocket pistols. they don't always work! Let them shoot until they have a good, clean run, but not come back if somebody beats that time by .01

What I really don't like is a shooter shooting multiple times in a row while thee is a line behind them. I think maybe 2 or 3 tries, then to the back of the line you go!

Every match I have been to that makes you announce your scored run, are boring, no one hangs around the side matches, its one and done, the fast ones still win, I wanna know I beat everyone there if I win, especially at the World level, I just don't want to be the guy that happened to run well for that one scored run. That's why they call it the "FASTEST" not the "LUCKIEST".

Guns of August has a nice way of recognizing speed events.

Your FIRST time thru the event is recognized as that particular 'Side Match Speed ? Winner"

FASTEST run of the day is recognized as "SPEED ? FASTEST TIME".

Last year at HELL FIRE, Red Knee and myself set up the rules for the SPEED 97 event.

The shooter was allowed 2 shots (there were 6 KD's) before having to get back in line.

In other words, if you fired the 1st shot and fumbled the 2nd round, you could get another attempt before having to get back in line.

This kept the line moving well.

..........Widder

At the shootout at Pawnee Station we've always done it first 3 times are recorded for score, anything after that is just for fun. Fastest of your 3 runs counts and is reported in the side match scores. Fun to go see how you stack up against folks that can really shoot. And hopefully see some improvement year to year. More record keeping to be sure than just tracking the best run, but for a small to medium annual it's doable and worth the effort IMO.

The idea is to see who can do it the fastest... NOT who can do it the fasted on one try. This is not a Long Range match where you get sighting shots, and then announce when you are ready for a score. I encourage everyone to shoot them as many times as they want, and to spend as much money as possible.... borrow money, use your ATM card to get more, etc.... this money helps to support the club or in some cases a charity. I also agree that the first time shooter should get to move to the front of the line.

Snakebite

If you get it in three runs...you're an on demand performer and that's truly awesome. Essentially all the practice is put in prior to the event. Endless runs are alright if there is money being laid down every run and it's making somebody money. If this is not the case, then we are essentially dragging out the end of the event and taxing the volunteers for what end? Unless the lead is actively changing hands or being credibly threatened...beating a dead horse?

All my opinion.

It can all be solved with, announce your run for scored time. Your choice to shoot it 1 or 100 times before you announce.

and

Let everyone shoot as many times as they want to see who the "fastest" is. Announce both.

Otherwise with some previous logic the "Man on Man" should be shot until neither one has a hiccup to see who the fastest truly is.

BV

Nope, not for me. Fastest means just that.......fastest. If your run does not stand thats too bad. You have to have the talent to get there, and I don't care how long it takes you. This is fun and entertainment guys.

Nope, not for me. Fastest means just that.......fastest. If your run does not stand thats too bad. You have to have the talent to get there, and I don't care how long it takes you. This is fun and entertainment guys.

+1000

And don't forget the entertainment value of watching guys like Deuce, Widder, etc. over and over. It's a blast.

I worked speed rifle for 2 hours at EOT and it was nonstop shooters, with a lot coming through multiple times. I was lucky enough to be there when Deuce came back and lowered his time from 2.04 to 1.99.

Dutch

+1000

And don't forget the entertainment value of watching guys like Deuce, Widder, etc. over and over. It's a blast.

I worked speed rifle for 2 hours at EOT and it was nonstop shooters, with a lot coming through multiple times. I was lucky enough to be there when Deuce came back and lowered his time from 2.04 to 1.99.

Dutch

Yeah... I think that we ought to charge folks to watch Deuce shoot... I have, and it's worth a buck to me.... I'm still trying to figure out how he does it so fast.

It can all be solved with, announce your run for scored time. Your choice to shoot it 1 or 100 times before you announce.

and

Let everyone shoot as many times as they want to see who the "fastest" is. Announce both.

Otherwise with some previous logic the "Man on Man" should be shot until neither one has a hiccup to see who the fastest truly is.

BV

What part of the above is hard to understand? I love watching the fastest of the fast also and believe that their efforts and ability should be recognized. It's great to see just how fast a gun can be run and realize what work, time and effort those who can, have put in, it's seemingly almost inhuman.

I have no personal dog in this fight as I could never compete in the national speed events with the expectation of winning. I just think it would be more inclusive to those that are consistent and on the edge of the fastest. And as I hope to improve I would like to know where I am relative to those folks. In other words I would selfishly iike to see their times posted.

I can see both sides of the river and both have valid comments. I myself like the best out of 3 or 5 runs, for my thought is it gives the best of both worlds, you get multiple chances and you have to show some consistency with your speed!

Give it all ya got the first few, then try for a couple clean ones or vise versa..

The reason I say this is because I've more than once seen shooters go back and forth several times and have one say screw this I'm not doing this all day !!!

I guess you could say they did'nt want it bad enough, but sometimes you hear stuff like man I've run thru a lot of ammo already I'm done! WHO REALLY WAS FASTEST THEN???

I've also heard and did this one my self when going back and forth over and over I'm not standing in that /;(/'-:;) line again in this f/:(':;)'in heat!!! Guess I just did'nt want it bad enough?? BUT WAS I SLOWER OR JUST LAZY AND GETTING LOW ON SUGAR ?? LOL.

As I said I can see both sides, I myself generally go with the flow, but I do like the warm up as much as you like and call your timed runs of 3 to 5 times and your done best of both worlds to me !! YMMV...

Spades H. What I really don't like is speed events that don't split pistol style or shotgun type!!!!

+ 1million

Yeah... I think that we ought to charge folks to watch Deuce shoot... I have, and it's worth a buck to me.... I'm still trying to figure out how he does it so fast.

This is one of those rare instances where youth & skill does beats old age & treachery!

So let me get this straight. Shooter A walks up and on his first run shoots a very fast, clean score on a side match. Shooter B shoots the same event 20 times finally putting up a better score. Yet the perception here is that Shooter A got lucky on his attempt.

I like it better when they have the first time through for score and separately have the pot where you can shoot as many times as you want. Smokin Gator

So let me get this straight. Shooter A walks up and on his first run shoots a very fast, clean score on a side match. Shooter B shoots the same event 20 times finally putting up a better score. Yet the perception here is that Shooter A got lucky on his attempt.

I like it better when they have the first time through for score and separately have the pot where you can shoot as many times as you want. Smokin Gator

I think that what most are saying is that if your fastest run also happens to be your first run it will usually be by luck. From my own personal experience, my fastest time is almost never my first run.

Before they get totally shouted down... I believe that there is an opinion being expressed that there is a percieved difference between a guy doing well on the first try or few tries as opposed to spending twenty runs warming up to the the best performance. One way is highly practical and has real world value(i.e. hunting or combat). The other way is not a practical shooting demonstration, but rather a datum of human capability, is still an appreciable feat and has value(i.e. world fast draw). I'm for recognition of both: Fastest on demand and Fastest possible.

I believe the statement of the one time performance being a fluke is highly derogatory. That guy made it home safely or put meat on the table. Don't blow it off.

I believe that the guy that runs twenty times is possibly patterning the timer delay and likely eliminating a majority of his reaction time by jumping the timer. Very difficult to say this about a guy that runs three times.

Not picking on anyone or seeking to diminish the accomplishments of anybody. I'm genuinely impressed with both.

What part of the above is hard to understand? I love watching the fastest of the fast also and believe that their efforts and ability should be recognized. It's great to see just how fast a gun can be run and realize what work, time and effort those who can, have put in, it's seemingly almost inhuman.

I have no personal dog in this fight as I could never compete in the national speed events with the expectation of winning. I just think it would be more inclusive to those that are consistent and on the edge of the fastest. And as I hope to improve I would like to know where I am relative to those folks. In other words I would selfishly iike to see their times posted.

Why don't you just step up and run side matches at EOT 17 Then you may be able to run them the way you want to!!

Just Sayin! :):D:)

LSL

Betcha a dollar he will still be fast when he is old.

But... as fast? Certainly faster'n most... ;)

Lets not fool ourselves, the entire purpose of this thread is meant to diminish what others have done.

Yup, as if having enough ammo and being willing to burn it is all it takes....

As one of the guys who was in the running for a few of the speed matches but did not end up winning any, I am glad that it was et up the way it was and I thoroughly enjoyed being beat by shooters faster/ better than me. It was a lot of fun going back and forth with these great shooters. I hope it stays the way it is in the future.

Consider this:

The 1st run for some of your top shooters is faster than most other shooters, regardless of how many warm up runs the other shooters try.

But when some of your Top Guns get on a roll during some of the side match speed events, it not only can be very entertaining (as some have stated), but also educational.

And before you dismiss the educational aspect of it, just look at all the iPhones being whipped out of the gun carts when some of the top guns go to the line.

Like most, I love to see Deuce run them pistols, rifle and SG. Love watching Lassiter run his 87, Bad River Marty run GF, and RED KNEE, Prestidigitator, Santa Fe River Stan, Two Gun Tuco, etc...burn em down with the 97.

When it comes to Side Match Speed Events, ya gotta give those fastest runs their proper recognition, whether it be the 1st run or 21st run.

Just my opinion.

..........Widder

Archived