SASS Wire Forum

Interesting EOT observation.

Intersting that the top ten overall shooters at EOT were all SxS shooters. I don't that has happened before, should be noted there were no split shotgun stages and all were 4+ round counts.

I think it's because they are reliable, no matter what speed you run them. I saw numerous '97 shooters with jams, failed ejections, etc.

Of course, none of that matters if you can't get the shells into the pipes, which is my problem. I think my new plan is to grab two, toss them on the ground, then grab two more. If I practice that, I will be faster than I was at EOT!

I agree that its probably because of the reliability 'reputation'.

But I know this, because I have seen YOU and some others run the 97, that your speed with one style over the other is basically the same.

And I've heard that Mo Lefty is also super fast with a 97, but he prefers the SxS.

Congrats on your top 10 Overall Deuce. Keep em smoking.

..........Widder

A few years back I would have readily agreed with the argument that to shoot a 97 you had to own three, one to shoot, one for backup and one getting fixed. With the cowboy action 97s being produced per Caps design in China I don't think that is the case any more. I have run mine hard for more than a year with no ill effects.

I love both my Cap 97 and my Stoeger SxS. Have to use the Stoeger when shooting ladies frontier cartridge. But is sure is fun at a local club to be able to stoke up the 97 when shooting snakes out of the sand pit. I don't think it was one of the very first Cap imported, but I've shot it for years now with only a minor problem that Nate Kiowa Jones fixed in less than 15 minutes about 8 or so years ago. I LOVE my shotguns.

I don't buy into the mechanical problems being the reason there weren't any in the top 10. I'd say #1 it's WHO is shooting which gun and #2 the overall number of doubles versus the number of '97's.

I've ran take downs and solid frames for 17 years. ONly had one break and I pulled it apart after beating it on a table! My most recent main match solid frame has been in use for over 8 years and been cleaned a half a dozen times and amazes me how it keeps running.

One the SxS is mastered, it is very hard for a 97 shooter to keep up.

It wasn't always this way, but folks have obviously figured it out.

Actually, IME, it has always been so.

Over the long haul, SXS's having fewer part tend to be more reliable than the 97's new or old. Besides the reliability of the SXS I think a contributing factors is how the guns are staged now days. Most all clubs now have horizontal muzzle pointed down range staging. Years ago many clubs had vertical racks. Vertical staging always gave the advantage to the 97 because it could be loaded as it was coming for vertical to pointed down range. The SXS had to be taken from a muzzle up to an almost muzzle down then back up once loaded.

I think Stage Design and Target Placement has more to do with the Double being popular.....I watched videos of all 12 stages at EOT and it appears to me (i could be wrong...remember I just watching a video) that on EVERY stage the shotgun targets where in pairs and just a couple of feet a part.

Only a fool would argue with choosing a double based on that design.

Stan

Would be Interesting to Know what the Breakdown was SKB vs. Stoger vs. ??? in the Top Ten. and Who Slicked Them? If I remember correctly at least 3 of them are SKB's

Maybe they shoot a BSSs not a SKB or Stoger

I wonder how many of those doubles were single trigger vs double, and if single, inertia vs mechanical?

myowndangself,, I prefer a double trigger SxS. I have a 97 and an 87. just prefer the SxS. I will admit the 87 is good for "style points" and if all goes well I can load 2 as fast as I can the SxS, but it takes longer to shoot 2, and, if you have a problem, takes a lot longer to fix it. I do drag it out once a year or so just for the fun of it.

I think Stage Design and Target Placement has more to do with the Double being popular.....I watched videos of all 12 stages at EOT and it appears to me (i could be wrong...remember I just watching a video) that on EVERY stage the shotgun targets where in pairs and just a couple of feet a part.

Stan

Good point, Stan. Stages are now generally set up specifically for SxS.

Do not know about EOT, but one data point, the last 2 WRs, I shot, over half our posse was shooting SKBs. Rest varied all over the place, Stoegers, 87s, 97s, hammered doubles, etc. At the unloading table I made an effort to count.

Stan

Agree,

I haven't watched the video but I would guess that the SG's were staged horizontally on a flat table/prop and even number of targets. Majority of SG targets could be shot from far right side of bay. Just guessing.

Stan

EOT...Yes, all in pairs, I believe 3 stages on right, 1 on left, 1 stage of four in center, 5 stages split, 2 stages option left or right sets of four.....three stages with six knockdowns. Numerous stages had options of which gun (pistols/shotgun where/when.

On posse 36 I worked the unloading table as I usually do. I would say I was the only 87 shooter the rest of the classic shooters used a hammered double. The rest of the posse I would say was 2 sxss per 97 and we had several shooters using the same guns.

Archived