SASS Wire Forum

So ya broke a screw in your gun

Paladin  Gun For Hire

Yes, but they keep them on the floor and I have to set on the floor to look through them. Then they are in cardboard boxes that are hard to get out of the tray box and hard to open without destroying the little cardboard box. Once inside the box, the screws are in a sealed plastic bag so you have to break into it to get a screw out to try. Then they only have small standard SAE tread sizes. Basically, scope base screws. Nothing big enough or long enough for say tang screw or any screw that goes through an action.

The screw I needed for the lock plate on my Colt 1878 was a litte bit bigger than 10-24. I used the 10-24 but I'm afraid to tighten it down. I had to shorten it and turn the head down a few thousands.

Still, all said and done, it's better than no chance of finding anything.

"Yes, but they keep them on the floor and I have to set on the floor to look through them. Then they are in cardboard boxes that are hard to get out of the tray box and hard to open without destroying the little cardboard box. Once inside the box, the screws are in a sealed plastic bag so you have to break in......"

Awwwww......quitchabitchin!!!

:-)

That is pretty cool. They just revamped the "screw department" at the local Ace Hardware, so I'm going to take a look for a gun screw selection.

Thanks for the tip!

Cat Brules

Another gun screw that's impossible to find are wood screws. Of all the wood screws they have, none match the size and head shape of the wood screws used in old guns.

Still bitchin'... :D

Yep, but true, true!!

Good substitute buttplate screws are impossible to find (along with others).

Another gun screw that's impossible to find are wood screws. Of all the wood screws they have, none match the size and head shape of the wood screws used in old guns.

https://search.yahoo.com/yhs/search?p=Winchester+butt+plate+screws&ei=UTF-8&hspart=mozilla&hsimp=yhs-002

Marlin Ballards & Wurffleins used Winchester screws ... I've used them in my project rifles

JM Marlin 44 WCF Ballard ...

DSC01078_zpszbyq1hk4.jpg

Archived