SASS Wire Forum

Chiappa 1892

Hopalong Mac McLin

Is anyone familiar with the quality of the Chiappa 1892 Carbine in .357? How adaptable is it for tuning for CAS? Are parts as readily available for this rifle as they are for the 1866, 1873, and 1894? Can you shoot .38s in it without jams?

I don't really need another rifle, but am interested in having an 1892, because this is the rifle John Wayne used in most of this movies. The Winchester is only in .44 mag as far as I can tell.

Mac

I don't know about the Chiappa's but I have 3 Rossi's. I have two in .44 and one in .357. Two of them are 24" octagonal barrels and the 2nd .44 is a 20" round barrel with the Puma medallion. The .44's I use for Wild Bunch. I also have two Marlin 1894c's but my wife and daughter have claimed them.

I used Nate Kiowa Jones' video and spring sets from the Smith Shop to slick mine up. That made an amazing difference in each of them.

All of my 92's like longer rounds. They all want a cartridge that is 1.56" at least. As long as I feed them what they want, they work well.

Everyone says that you cannot be in the top tier shooting a 92, but right now equipment is not my limiting factor.

I have been impressed with the machining of internal parts of the two I have worked on ...

They can be made into as fine a running 92 as design allows , though they are lacking as to proper timing making them COL sensitive ...

I set one up so that it would run the following cartridges with-out a bobble when mixed in loading order ,,, WC 1.285 ,SWC 1.52 , TC 1.43 & LRN 1.42 ...

I did install a lighter spring kit as well as the timing work , sweet running gun , now used as his main match gun of choice ...

Jabez Cowboy

Archived