SASS Wire Forum

Walrus tusk grips - anyone have any

Shootin Straight

I found a local native artist that will make me a pair of walrus ivory grips. I've not seen pair before, made from walrus ivory that is. Any pards out there have any experience with this?

Thanks - Shootin Straight

FYI:

WALRUS (non-fossil)-
Regulated by U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service under the 1972 Marine Mammal Protection Act. Raw walrus ivory predating the Dec. 21, 1972 law, tusks bearing the Alaska state walrus ivory registration tags or post-law walrus ivory that has been carved or scrimshawed by an Alaskan native (Eskimo) are legal to buy, possess, and sell.

Raw walrus ivory obtained after 12/21/72 is not legal to buy or sell unless both parties are Eskimo (it is legal to own). A $30 export permit is required to ship walrus ivory or oosik (legal as per above) out of the United States.

LL

Walrus tusk ivory has a tendancy to crack and split as it dries out. You have to keep it "moist". i.e.. Rub it down with baby oil periodically - which may make your grips a touch slippery. They also may crack under pressure. Just my $.0002 worth and having a bit of experience with it in the past.

Archived