SASS Wire Forum

Long Hunter selling Cap &Ball pistols?

Deacon Stone Sass#58681

Was pretty easy to look it up:

CLASSIC COWBOY/COWGIRL

Any Main Match fixed sight model revolver.

Revolvers must be shot duelist or double duelist style. See Duelist description for required shooting technique.

Rifles: Any 1873 or earlier manufacture SASS–legal rifle or a replica thereof (e.g., 1866 Winchester, 1860 Henry, 1873 Winchester).

Revolver and rifle calibers: .40 caliber or larger, rimmed cartridges. Examples include, but are not limited to, .38-40, .44 Special, .44 Russian, .44 Mag., .44-40, .45 Schofield, .45 Colt or .36 caliber or larger cap and ball.

I haven't even started in cap n ball yet and Deacon is looking for that edge.

Hell Deacon, I'm blind in one eye and can't see out of the other.

I ordered mine a week before he did!!!

I haven't even started in cap n ball yet and Deacon is looking for that edge.

Hell Deacon, I'm blind in one eye and can't see out of the other.

How are those Rugers working out?

Knowing Major and him keeping true to his alias, I can see him shootin' Walkers or Dragoons in Classic just to show ya'll how its done.

No pressure, Major.

:D

Major

You can shoot C&B in any class I believe.

But I believe they would have to be 44 cal. For Classic Cowboy.

Deacon

Actually you can use .36 or larger cap and ball for classic.

Shooters hand book page 16

I handled some of Longhunters C&Bs at Winter Range. They are really smooth. Maybe a pair is in my future.

Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee

I just read the detailed description of all the work that goes into Long Hunter's cap and ball revolvers. Wow. Those must be some smooth shooting revolvers. If I didn't already have a case full of different cap and ball revolvers I'd look into these. Just what I need, another expense to my already beautifully pricey Cowboy hobby. :)

It does get a fella thinking though...

Oh, what the heck. I would never be able to choose between the 1851s or the 1860s anyway. I'll just stick to cartridge revolvers.

Hammers! I don't need no stinking hammers!

Hard to fan a revolver that ain't not got no hammers.

Boomstick Jay still has my hammers. They will be coming soon. It'll be epic.

I put reduced power trigger return springs and 17# hammer springs in mine and decided I did not need nor want modified hammers.

Boomstick Jay still has my hammers. They will be coming soon. It'll be epic.

I put reduced power trigger return springs and 17# hammer springs in mine and decided I did not need nor want modified hammers.

Yep... the equipment race has stretched into Frontiersman... sad days on the prairie... and mountains and valleys...

I hadn't noticed they started selling cap guns.... Thanks for posting! The price isn't bad at all I don't think. I wonder if they do custom work on existing cap guns. I just sent them an email asking.

Yep... the equipment race has stretched into Frontiersman... sad days on the prairie... and mountains and valleys...

Sorry Griff. After shooting a pair of Jimmy Spurs' 45s, modified ROAs are like having cake AND ice cream.

Maybe we need to divide those ROAs into a "modern Frontiersman" of their own. Like Plainsman with its ejector rifles!

Maybe we need to divide those ROAs into a "modern Frontiersman" of their own. Like Plainsman with its ejector rifles!

I used to feel the same way. Until, I sent my Armys off to a noted gunsmith and spent $200 to have them rendered useless. I removed everything he did and spent several weeks trying to get them back to where they had been to no avail. They have been retired to a set of conversion cylinders because I could not bear to simply put them away. I decided then if I have to spend the cost of new guns then the cost of having them tuned by some one else to be competitive I would have as much in them as a pair of ROAs.

The ROAs are better metal and probably better engineering than the 1860s but the only actual benefit is the coil main spring and the coil trigger return spring. Sights are equal to a Remington.

Do I feel good about them when I take them out for a shoot? Maybe there is some trepidation but when I finish a shoot with no failure to fires and no cap jams and no binding on the base pin I feel good about them.

They are no more of an advantage than a good running pair of 51s, 60s or 61s.

I believe Nuttin' Graceful won EOT Frontiersman category with a pair of tuned 1851s a few years ago.

It ain't the gun, it's the shooter, at least at that level of competition.

I believe it was Bad Gene Poole who observed that any Frontiersman is one trigger pull from disaster. He did not specify the model of the revolver! 😉

• 4 weeks later...

I hadn't noticed they started selling cap guns.... Thanks for posting! The price isn't bad at all I don't think. I wonder if they do custom work on existing cap guns. I just sent them an email asking.

They told me they would but only if your cap guns are NIB, i. e. unfired and un-tinkered with

I believe Nuttin' Graceful won EOT Frontiersman category with a pair of tuned 1851s a few years ago.

It ain't the gun, it's the shooter, at least at that level of competition.

I believe it was Bad Gene Poole who observed that any Frontiersman is one trigger pull from disaster. He did not specify the model of the revolver!

Yep, they were the Piettas from my old C&B tuning article that was in the Chronicle several years ago.

Archived