SASS Wire Forum

Ruger New Vaquero Pistol - Barrel length & now GRIPS

What are the primary decisions that need to be made when considering the barrel length of your revolvers?

I am leaning toward the Ruger New Vaquero Pistols in .357 Stainless Steel (SS).

Interested in the SASS Set with consecutive serial numbers (Model# 5133); however, they only come in 4.62" barrel length.

The other option is the Model# KNV-34 which is the same barrel length (4.62") as above, yet slightly less expensive.

The last option is the Model# KNV-35 which has the 5.5" barrel length.

Does the shorter barrel draw from the holster easier?

Is the longer barrel easier to aim and hit your target?

Would appreciate your experience with this issue.

Thanks.

Charlie Harley & ShadowCatcher both raised the issue first regarding the feel in your hands, and thus eluding to the GRIP issue. Would one purchase a specific revolver solely on the grip that comes with it, or can you purchase the revolver of choice (for all the other reasons) and obtain a different set of grips that make the gun feel good in your hands? If the later statement is correct, how would one go about checking for a different set of grips to put on a particular revolver.

Boy this stuff really gets technical......

I imagine in the Old West that the gunfighter who won the draw had revolvers that felt better in his hands than his now dead opponent. LOL

This is just MY opinion, which in part is due to my personal experience.

The BIGGEST issue to consider in your pistol selection(s) are how they feel in YOUR hands, which in part is also how well the grip panels fit your hands.

I like short barrels, like 3" from front of frame to muzzle. Are 3" barrels accurate? Well, I've only had 1 miss during the last 25 stages, shooting GF.

BUT, I also make sure my grip panels fit my hands by their width (thick OR thin).

Probably the best way to see is try and shoot some of your Pards pistols.

So many variations can make you a happy pistol owner OR a continuous pistol purchaser.

Another thing that helps (or feels different) is the style of hammer on the pistols and/or maybe any short stroke mod.

Check it all out and then spend the money.

Good luck.

..........Widder

I shoot 4" barrel on NMV with short stroke and half cock done by Lassiter.Like the 4" better than I did my sass NMV.They feel better in my hands.

This is just MY opinion, which in part is due to my personal experience.

The BIGGEST issue to consider in your pistol selection(s) are how they feel in YOUR hands, which in part is also how well the grip panels fit your hands.

I like short barrels, like 3" from front of frame to muzzle. Are 3" barrels accurate? Well, I've only had 1 miss during the last 25 stages, shooting GF.

BUT, I also make sure my grip panels fit my hands by their width (thick OR thin).

Probably the best way to see is try and shoot some of your Pards pistols.

So many variations can make you a happy pistol owner OR a continuous pistol purchaser.

Another thing that helps (or feels different) is the style of hammer on the pistols and/or maybe any short stroke mod.

Check it all out and then spend the money.

Good luck.

..........Widder

I second pretty much everything said here, save for the 1 miss in 25 stages shooting gunfighter. I am lucky to get 5 straight stages. But otherwise, it really is all about the feel. I have seen shooters with some of the cheapest guns (in all shooting disciplines, not just cas) out shoot people with some very expensive guns because of the comfortability with them. As with almost everything cas related, it's what you like and are comfortable with.

I agree that it's primarily personal preference. I like the shorter tube in the .38/.357 because the smaller bore makes for a heavier barrel and the shorter barrel model feels more balanced to me.

The SASS Edition revolvers (I have a pair) come with the shorter, wider Montado style hammers. In my opinion they are very good if you shoot the revolvers one handed. If you are using your support hand to cock the revolver, the standard spur hammer may be faster. Maybe.

I couldn't tell much difference in barrel lengths for the Ruger Vaqueros.

Since Ruger makes the SASS Mod 5133 in only one length, I figured that must be the most popular with SASS shooters, so I went with the 4.62 barrel.

Also, www.curtrich.com/GettingStarted03.html said the 4 3/4" was probably the most popular.

Based on my limited personal experience and my mentors recommendations, I would suggest the SS Ruger Vaqueros 357 mag in 4.62".

Hold one. Shoot one. If it feels right in your hand, buy it.

I bought mine used and they came with holsters, a rifle, and shotgun, which made things easier.

Like you have already heard opinions are very personalized. It really depends where you are trying to go and how you intend to get there. If you are going to shoot age based category's then consider Blackhawks as well as the Vaqueros, if not then certainly the Vaqueros are a good choice. For CAS sight radius isn't as important as it might be in some other games so unless you just like the look a longer doesn't help much with accuracy. Another important consideration is do you intend to put yourself in contention for a championship? Shorter barrels 4.62 or less seem to require less mental effort to draw and put away than longer barrels although I'm sure someone will disagree. Within the group that I would call the elite shooters few if any have longer barrels. More important to overall success will be your leather, rifle, shotgun and practice time than an inch more or less on your revolver. Other wise I would consider the overall look you are trying to achieve and then go with what fits best.

good luck cowboy

I shoot 4" barrel on NMV with short stroke and half cock done by Lassiter.Like the 4" better than I did my sass NMV.They feel better in my hands.

I knew you would like those!!

What are the primary decisions that need to be made when considering the barrel length of your revolvers?

Interested in the SASS Set with consecutive serial numbers (Model# 5133); however, they only come in 4.62" barrel length.

The other option is the Model# KNV-34 which is the same barrel length (4.62") as above, yet slightly less expensive.

Thanks.

Mechanically the guns barrel length is irrelevant to accuracy, in any practical sense. If you locked any of those or

even a 7.5" NV into a ransom rest and fired for groups you'd find they all shoot into a 2-3" group at 25 yds.

What makes a difference to many shooters is the balance in the hand, and the recovery from recoil, as well as the sight

radius and it's effect on ability to aim. Longer sight radius allows one to aim more precisely, making for improved practical

accuracy. If you don't intend to shoot anything but CAS or don't intend to be very precise, then the barrel lengths matter

little.

In the draw from leather the 3/4 inch of extra barrel will not make a measurable time difference, but your holster style and

position may make drawing a bit harder or easier. Again, probably not much, but an old west belt holster worn high might

take more elbow bend then you have if the gun is a 5.5". It all comes down to what feels best in your hands, and works

for drawing and holstering.

Shadow Catcher

Love them Yank.Can't beat the work on them.How is your grand son?

* Of course - less distance

* Balance is the key. Best for you to handle both revolver barrel length's and decide

Howdy,

Yes of course.

Yes. But at our ranges whats the difference?

Worry about it when pistol targets are posted over 100 yards.

Best

CR

Thanks.

Charlie Harley & ShadowCatcher both raised the issue first regarding the feel in your hands, and thus eluding to the GRIP issue. Would one purchase a specific revolver solely on the grip that comes with it, or can you purchase the revolver of choice (for all the other reasons) and obtain a different set of grips that make the gun feel good in your hands? If the later statement is correct, how would one go about checking for a different set of grips to put on a particular revolver.

Boy this stuff really gets technical......

I imagine in the Old West that the gunfighter who won the draw had revolvers that felt better in his hands than his now dead opponent. LOL

Grips vary in style and size. The 1851 and 1860 Colt revolvers were different in size, and eventually the 1851 grip

became the 1873 SAA grip. Others prefer the longer grip of the 1860 Army revolvers though and swap frames.

The 1875 Remington and the Schofield are different yet.

Some like smooth grips to let the gun roll in the hand whilst some prefer the checkered grips for consistent grip.

Every gun out there probably has at least one company making replacement grips, allowing you to adjust the look

or the feel. Fancy walnut, ivory, rosewood, etc., etc. There are inlays, and other embellishments as well.

Custom grip makers will get you a beautiful piece of wood shaped to fit your gun perfectly, and make them oversize

or thinned if you desire. There are some amazing talents out there - all it takes is time and money.

In the old west folks did not do the "walk and draw" seen in the movies - only a fool went to a gunfight with his gun in

the holster. I suspect that in general the winners of the gunfights were the ones who could shoot better whilst under

fire from an opponent trying to kill them. Those who practiced a lot were better at marksmanship, I suspect speed

was irrelevant.

There's a copy of a letter Bat Masterson sent to Colt when ordering his revolvers, search it out and you'll see what

he wanted.

Hope this helps.

Shadow Catcher

I liked the feel and weight of the 5.5" more so I went with that.

^this is my method, too. I will say that after 10+ years with same set of revolvers I have developed the muscle memory for these.

As said above try your pards' revolvers to find the best fit for you

cr

Just my opinion.....

I have NMV's ranging from 3 3/4 inch to 5 1/2 inch. It all comes down to what feels right. I prefer the 5 1/2, .45 for shooting in competition. They just feel better. For carry when in the saddle, yes my guns get full of trail dust, occasional rain or snow, I like the

4 5/8 SS NMV, my favorite is in .44 Special. The little Montados are just fun to shoot, but I don't compete with them. It always comes down to comfort and feel. Borrow, use others and find what is right to you. Don't forget to shoot with your weak hand also.

I will echo the trend here, go for the pistol(s), frame that feels best.

Whenever someone asks about buying a handgun, whether for CAS or personal defense, the first thing I tell them is to find one that fist their hand(s) and feels good. Then find a place where they can shoot various brands, models and calibers to find what feels best to them.

I have a pair of Ruger New Model Bisley Vaquero SS in .45 Colt with 5-1/2" barrels. Love them but I have large hands and they fit me very well. I bought them from Longhunter in Amarillo and they just happened to come in with consecutive serial #'s. I did take off the OEM white plastic grips in favor of rosewood. To me they look and feel MUCH better.

You have to go with what "fits" you, the size of your hands, etc. I have lots of barrel lengths... 5-1/2" works best for me... Gunfighter Grips on my larger-framed Vaqueros, stock black plastic grips on my New Model Vaqueros, stock grips on my colts. Smooth grips work for me best when shooting Duelist. Lowered hammer for Duelist, higher hammers for shooting two-handed.

Please do yourself a favor and get to a match and see if you can handle some guns... heck, if you were near me you could try all sorts of barrel lengths, types of revolvers, and types of grips... I think you'll find shooters near you will be pushing their guns into your hands to try out.

Of what you originally posted, I don't think you could go wrong with 5-1/2" Stainless New Models in .357 The grips should fit most hands. If you're shooting two-handed the stock hammer is fine. If shooting duelist, you might want the lower hammers.

Have you decided on your style of shooting? I think you were looking for an external hammered SxS shotgun... Classic Cowboy?? You'd want the .45's then.

First, as many have said, how does the revolver "balance" in your hand. Not how does it feel, how does it balance.

Grips are another issue altogether. Check out Joe Perkins website, classicsingleaction.com. Joe goes through all of his grip profiles.

We have a lot of Joe's grips on our SAs. They look great and function even better.

My 2 cents,

BS

Archived