SASS Wire Forum

New England Cabela's

Last week I went to Cabela's in CT and MA for lead. The CT location was out of 200gr rnfp 45s. The MA location had some so I picked up a box of 500 bullets and went to check out. It turned out as a New York resident without a MA firearm ID I am not allowed to buy lead there. Silly laws.

My fix would be to NEVER transact another dollar in the State of Main

it's not cabelas rule,it's Massachusetts law,can't buy any ammo or components without a state issued "F.O.I.D."

Non-residents can not buy loaded ammo in CT UNLESS you have the ammo permit or non-resident pistol permit. Some stores may err on the side of caution and not sell any reloading components to out of state residents.

Last week I went to Cabela's in CT and MA for lead. The CT location was out of 200gr rnfp 45s. The MA location had some so I picked up a box of 500 bullets and went to check out. It turned out as a New York resident without a MA firearm ID I am not allowed to buy lead there. Silly laws.

Sent you a PM

Waimea

Yep we can create a sort of border between States, but not between Countries. Hmmmmm!

My fix is to never buy from Cabela's again but that's a whole other rant..............

+ 100000!!!!!

+ 100000!!!!!

Guys, let's be fair to Cabela's. They are just following the requirements of MA law.

We live in a state fully dominated by liberal voters and politicians. And I don't mean that as hyperbole.

Both of our US Senators are democrats. All 9 US Reps are Democrats. Other than the present Governor and Lt. Governor, every elected constitutional officer in our government is a Democrat. The Democrats hold super-majorities in both Houses of our state Legislature. There are more than 1,000,000 more registered Democrat voters than Republicans in MA.

Now, just being a Democrat doesn't make you anti-gun. But in this state, there is no doubt that the ruling Democrats vote regularly to restrict gun rights. And the rest of us bite our tongues and work behind the scenes in an effort to limit the effects of these laws.

Under MA law, you cannot buy ammunition or reloading components without one of the two types of licenses that authorize gun ownership/possession. That leaves out-of-state visitors out in the cold. You cannot buy ammunition or components on-line or by mail order. Somebody believes this makes us safer by denying criminals easy access to ammunition. I happen to believe that criminals can always find a way to get ammunition, despite such laws.

But none of this is Cabela's fault, or their choice. Don't blame them.

LL

My fix would be to NEVER transact another dollar in the State of Main

I believe MA is Massachusetts. Main (Maine) is ME.

OCD is a common affliction on the Wire.

I believe you are correct regarding the Postal abbreviations for the two New England states.

I'm aware of the spelling of the State of Maine and my iPhone auto-corrects to its standard, which I find annoying but not overwhelming. I'll turn off auto-correct when I decide that the detriments outweigh the benefits.

Meantime, please try to deal with it and stay on point.

But none of this is Cabela's fault, or their choice. Don't blame them.

LL

I'm avoiding Cabela's for the way I was treated on more than one occasion while trying to purchase a firearm from them. No other reason than that.

The Issue is Mass's laws. Cabalas has been a faithful sponsor of the Maine State championships for many years!

I have noticed that SOME of the border stores in southern NH have started to ask for ID to check state of residence.

If they are from Mass, no ammo. Do not know what the law is on this as not all do.

The Issue is Mass's laws. Cabalas has been a faithful sponsor of the Maine State championships for many years!

I have noticed that SOME of the border stores in southern NH have started to ask for ID to check state of residence.

If they are from Mass, no ammo. Do not know what the law is on this as not all do.

I don't know of any law in NH that requires sellers to check residency of ammo purchasers, or that directs them to refuse to sell to MA residents. There is nothing illegal about a MA resident buying ammo in NH in person. The only restriction is under MA law, which forbids out-of-state ammo sellers from sending ammo to private purchasers in MA. Of course, if you do not have a MA carry permit ( or the MA Class B license), possession of any ammo, purchased anywhere, is a felony once you cross back into MA.

LL

PS: I see that there is some talk on other boards about Walmart in Manchester and Nashua asking for ID, and refusing to sell to those who show a MA license. Evidently a store policy (or at least a rumored store policy).

I've had respectively good luck buying used 1897's from Cabela's. Found a couple 97's that were priced right, I asked if I could cycle an empty hull through before purchase. They said sure, and I did, in Gun Library Managers office. On one, the hull did not eject properly, I told the manager what was wrong and said if the left extractor was broken (defective) would he replace it? He said YES. I got SG home disassembled it, and sure enough, left extractor tail was broken. Contacted Gun Library Manager, sent pictures, sent replacement price. and he gave me a gift cart worth the value of a new extractor., no questions asked.. A win-win in my book. Manager knew that I knew what I was doing, knew it would cost more for him to return a defective gun that he would have to fix to resell as a functional firearm, than to settle with me. I was good with it, and got a gun that I knew had a new left extractor worth, $$$.

Bottom line, Cabella's will not sell a known defective firearm,,, and why would they?

Archived