SASS Wire Forum

Speakin' of dry heat

Barry Sloe

This weekend the misses and I wimped out on shooting. Predicted temp around 103. Yesterday's temp on my John Deere thermometer was 114, in the shade.

Where do you draw the line?

Barry Sloe

At 105 I don't wear leather chaps or a wool waist coat (unless i am really going for style points... :)). I just keep drinking water. Leather roping cuffs stay on though. I'll also wet my silk wild rag to stay cool.

The heat don't bother me near as much as humidity.

I work an inside/outside job that requires Fire Resistant Clothing long sleeves and heavy pants all year. Cold and heat I get used to pretty quick.

That said, coming home from EoT in 2011 driving across Texas my thermometer read 117°. I was figgerin' THAT was too hot for about anything.

In Arizona I would draw the line at about 115. In Georgia I would draw the line at about 100. I think the difference in humidity (24% vs 54%) makes those pretty comparable.

Whoa! 24% humidity?! That puts us in our rainy season!

Too (who cooked dinner on the concrete without a grill out back last nite) Tall Bob in Tucson

Whoa! 24% humidity?! That puts us in our rainy season!

Too (who cooked dinner on the concrete without a grill out back last nite) Tall Bob in Tucson

Got to lean over to far to cook...Prefer the brick wall...Easier on the back...Hit 108 on patio now dropping to 105...

TL

There are mistakes people make when it gets hot.

I think everyone remembers to bring water when it is hot but they don't start drinking until they think they are thirsty.

This is actually about 6 to 8 hours too late.

If you plan to be out in the heat for most of the day, start drinking before you leave home.

Right after you get up.

Keep drinking water every 15 minutes or so.

A couple of swallows will do if you keep it up.

Some will turn to Gatorade.

Might help at first but too much will upset some peoples stomachs.

Drink water.

Eat fruit.

We are not running marathons, so we do really sweat it away.

You want to drink enough to visit the bathroom about every hour to hour and a half.

Drink plenty but not enough to fell bloated.

It's hot, plan ahead and stay safe.

You want to drink enough to visit the bathroom about every hour to hour and a half.

Heck, I'm getting old enough I do that anyway!

BS

The temperature doesn't bother me as much as the humidity! Around these parts it can be 80 and so muggy you can hardly breath! I judge whether I'm going to a shoot on how humid it is. Sunday was in the 80's at our 3 day shoot and it was comfortable, humidity was down and there was a nice breeze. Saturday was miserable 90 and humid! :ph34r:

Humidity is what gets me. Like was already stated, if it is gonna be hot and humid, I try to drink a bottle of water before I head to the range, and try to down another one before shooting when we are all visiting. After that I try to drink a bottle of water per stage. Makes me pee a lot, but it keeps me vertical

Heck, I'm getting old enough I do that anyway!

And you keep telling me it was because your gun belt was too tight.......,.,

TTB

BS

65 with low humidity suits me just fine.

Went to a shoot once that was over 90 both in temp and humidity. I won't do that again if'n that is the weather that is expected.

Monthly match with a forecast of above 95 or so and I am thinking about something else to do, maybe still go, but...

When it gets that hot I take cold gatorade to the shoots. Works for me.

I take heat well it's the cold that bothers me. I actually start hydrating the day before the match.

Many years ago I adopted a 45/90 rule. The temp had to be over 45 and under 90 or i'd pass on shooting. CAS is supposed to be fun, not a survival adventure. Years later I changed it to 50/85. N ow it's 55/85. (Note: 85 in Cheyenne is far more comfortable in than 85 in Minnesota.)

When I was a kid in San Angelo TX I heard the adults say it was so hot you could fry an egg on the sidewalk. I decided to try that out. I took a fresh egg out of the ice box and out to the sidewalk and cracked it open on the sidewalk and I could not fry it. By the time I got to the sidewalk it was already hard boiled.

The O'Meara Himself.

Hi Barry,

If I've signed up for an annual, I tough it out. Not very well sometimes.

At a monthly, if it was expected to hit 100 before noon, I might wimp out. However, now, at my home venue, we have shade or rain structures on every stage we use for monthlies. At the annual, they put up pop-ups on the only stage without a permanent structure. So, there is little to no reason to miss a match due to heat.

Regards,

Allie

We used to backpack a lot and our mantra was "if you ain't having to pee a lot you aint drinking enough".

http://tse1.mm.bing.net/th?&id=OIP.Mf142da8d73d9404a11864da447c0e552o0&w=235&h=300&c=0&pid=1.9&rs=0&p=0&r=0

I can't find the cartoon I saw down to Arizona, but here is another. The one I'm thinking of showed the skeleton of a cowboy reclining against a cactus, holding a guitar. On the cactus next to him sits the skeleton of a buzzard, eyeing the cowboy. Slogan, "But it's a dry heat!" :P

When I would come down to Arizona I could stand up to 105 and be OK. When it was over 105 it just didn't matter dry heat or not, it was just HOT!

...I actually start hydrating the day before the match.

A very good idea.

I shot up in Santa Margarita once (PRVC) several years back, at about 106 deg F. It had chilled down to 106 from 113 deg F .....don't remember all this real well exactly, but that's about right. I wuz in the pipe drinkin' water, takin' salt tabs, ate an aspirin, applied plenty of sun screen and skin lotion, had put on a nice 3 layers of cotton and wool, two wet scarfs, yadda, etc. Rifles and shotguns were hot; black powder weapons and empties were hot, hot, hot!! Match was stopped after 3 stages....'fraid we' d lose someone Cuttin' it short was okay though; that gave us plenty of time to drink water and other fluids, eat, visit, look at hardware, etc.

those of us with diabetes don't handle the heat at all. That + old age and the fun-factor leaves rather quickly.

Several of my pards will come and shoot a few stages and then take off before they are carried off. I might give that a try in August.

July match is big 4th of July event and kinda, haveta be there

cr

Archived