SASS Wire Forum

How many reloads to a case?

Hoss

Got to thinking while reloading this evening. I've loaded about 14000 38sp rounds since I started reloading about 3 years ago. I have about 2000 or so cases. I try to rotate the cases, but I'm sure some have a few more than others, but on average Simple math says each has been reloaded about 7 times. I try to avoid over-flaring the mouth, but I do use a Lee Factory crimp. Loading Bullseye powder, certainly not mouse farts, but not warthog either. I loaded 200 rounds tonite, discovered 2 split cases, which seems about average in finding split cases.

How many times can a case be loaded? I'm thinking that until my split case count goes up some, just keep reloading this batch of cases. I have another 2000 or so in reserve.

Quite a while back, one of the gun mags (G&Amaybe) did an article shooting and reloading .38's till they split.

If I recall correctly, they got more than 140 reloads out of brass cases with a target load, which was probably the old standby Bullseye with a 148 gr wadcutter (hotter than what many shoot now days).

Nickel cases with full charge loads lasted more than 50.

How many times can a case be loaded?

Hoss, I believe you know there are variables but a friend of mine kept a chart:

* 44 WCF cases never cleaned

* 16 times before he passed on

When I use to shoot a lot of .38 loads using Bullseye and 148 Wadcutters, I stop counting my reloaded brass when it got to over 20 reloads.

This, of course, was the all brass.

Nickeled brass usually splits much earlier, atleast for me in my guns.

..........Widder

Quite a while back, one of the gun mags (G&Amaybe) did an article shooting and reloading .38's till they split.

If I recall correctly, they got more than 140 reloads out of brass cases with a target load, which was probably the old standby Bullseye with a 148 gr wadcutter (hotter than what many shoot now days).

Nickel cases with full charge loads lasted more than 50.

Dang, you're right. Was G&A, was about 30 years ago. I can't recall who did the article, I seem to remember it was more than one writer, though.

Moose

Back when I loaded .38 spl cowboy loads, I was getting about 25 loads per case, or about 15 in nickel cases.

Life seemed to be most dependent upon minimal working of the case mouth - expanding and crimping.

Good luck, GJ

Hoss.. thought about your question all evening and will get back to you sometime tomorrow. It looks like you are getting good advice.....Jim

Got to thinking while reloading...

This is a dangerous use of mental powers while pursuing this particular activity. I'm still reloading some brass that was last produced in the 1950's. Mind ya, it doesn't get shot much anymore... but I've had it for nearly 30 years and it was used then.

"As others have said, all brass last longer than nickel plated." I don't know about that. I have some nickel that I have used so much that some of the nickel has worn off. j-r

I've reloaded a bunch of Winchester .44-40 brass over 20 times. Main problem originally was case mouths that got "pitcher-mouthed" from catching on the extractor cut in the breech end of the barrel of my older Rossi M92 carbine. After smoothing the corner of the cut, experienced no more of that problem. Even some of those cases that got pitcher-mouthed could be bent back into shape and resized successfully without cracking. Major losses of brass occurred when ejected rounds became lost in tall grass at some matches. Can't do much about that! ;)

I've got probably 10% nickel brass mixed in. I have noticed it is more likely to split than my brass cases. I do check my cases prior to loading. I grab a handful of brass and shake them in my cupped hands. can hear a different sound if there is a split case, or the occasional odd size case that got mixed into my 38sp brass. then I give them a visual look and dump them in the case collator. as I'm loading them I look at the case as it goes station to station in the press. and a last good look as I place the bullet. then, as I box them up I give them another look.

After having a split case allow the bullet to push down in the case while in the magazine at Tx State, costing me 7 misses and likely the category tittle, I also quadruple check as I load them in the gun now. That was the only split case I've ever missed, that caused me a problem.

I have some 38s that have likely been loaded 100 times. Nickle gets used only in revolvers, if I have a split case there it's no problem. For a big match old brass and nickle for revolvers, once fired in rifle. Good Luck :)

Jefro :ph34r: Relax-Enjoy

+1 for what Missouri Marshall said.

I use the same load in my rifle as in my pistols. If I find a split case before reloading I throw it away. If I notice the split after reloading it I mark it all over in black El Marko and set it aside to use in my pistols. After use it is thrown away.

When filling my my ammo box for a match I carefully inspect under a strong light all cartridges I plan on using in my rifle. These are specially marked and go on one side of my ammo box.

I use them until it splits/cracks. Check every case before you reload it. Even once fired brass can have cracks in them. As others have said, all brass last longer than nickel plated.

If I only had some top quality loading blocks to put my ammo in I could check it then too :)

Hey Hoss, I don't monitor how many times I reload a case. I don't need the agrevation. Just keep reloading until it dies/cracks. I seem to lose more than having then split. I do have a few cases that I know have been reloaded for years. They are stained and are easy to pick out. I always make sure I get those rounds and I use them I my pistols. I replace from my stash as needed. The last time I ordered any was about 2 years ago. As my stash goes down, I start looking and watching for the best deals and order then.

Hey Hoss, I don't monitor how many times I reload a case. I don't need the agrevation. Just keep reloading until it dies/cracks. I seem to lose more than having then split. I do have a few cases that I know have been reloaded for years. They are stained and are easy to pick out. I always make sure I get those rounds and I use them I my pistols. I replace from my stash as needed. The last time I ordered any was about 2 years ago. As my stash goes down, I start looking and watching for the best deals and order then.

that's pretty much what I do as well, I was just kinda curious as to how many I could expect. looks like if I have 7-10, I can expect many more.

Archived