SASS Wire Forum

Redneck Astrophysics

I believe the appropriate response to the flat earthers who will hear no reason is "ok, well then, good for you. Have a nice day." Then walk away. Throwing flammables into a fire is probably not the best course of action.

Maybe someone can answer this.... Do they believe the earth is shaped like a cube or that it is all one linear plane (like a piece of paper)? If the latter is the case, then wouldn't the simplest way to denounce their theory be to travel from one location and back all heading the same direction. Such as, start on the East Coast, fly to Europe, Asia, West Coast, and then back to your original starting point.

I believe the appropriate response to the flat earthers who will hear no reason is "ok, well then, good for you. Have a nice day." Then walk away. Throwing flammables into a fire is probably not the best course of action.

Maybe someone can answer this.... Do they believe the earth is shaped like a cube or that it is all one linear plane (like a piece of paper)? If the latter is the case, then wouldn't the simplest way to denounce their theory be to travel from one location and back all heading the same direction. Such as, start on the East Coast, fly to Europe, Asia, West Coast, and then back to your original starting point.

Given the present state of science (views of the round Earth from outer space, or even the simple observation of a mast disappearing over the horizon), the roundness of the Earth is indisputable. Anyone who clings to the flat earth delusion does so without regard for reason or logic or science. Why would you even try to debate with such a person?

I kind of like the propane tank in the fire resolution.....

LL

Buff, the counter to that argument is that the earth is shaped like a phonograph record. :rolleyes:

I actually heard that one once! ^_^

She must have had some attractive attributes or capabilities to compensate a young man for her stupidity. 🙄

Are you aware of the fantasy novels of Sir Terry Pratchett (deceased)? They are set on disc world (a land of magic), which is a flat disc that rests on the backs of four giant elephants standing on the back of the Great A'tuin, a giant star turtle (looks like a sea turtle).

Of course the world is flat.

Good books, well written and humorous. Several have been made into movies and there was an animated series in England.

At that age, some things are more important than intelligence.

Judging by the number of older men with trophy wives, I'm not sure there is an age limit!! ;)

Given the present state of science (views of the round Earth from outer space, or even the simple observation of a mast disappearing over the horizon), the roundness of the Earth is indisputable. Anyone who clings to the flat earth delusion does so without regard for reason or logic or science. Why would you even try to debate with such a person?

I kind of like the propane tank in the fire resolution.....

LL

That's from them falling off the edge. Don't you know nuthin'? :ph34r:

That's from them falling off the edge. Don't you know nuthin'? :ph34r:

Ha!

Finally, a LOGICAL explanation!! :lol:

Are you aware of the fantasy novels of Sir Terry Pratchett (deceased)? They are set on disc world (a land of magic), which is a flat disc that rests on the backs of four giant elephants standing on the back of the Great A'tuin, a giant star turtle (looks like a sea turtle).

Of course the world is flat.

Good books, well written and humorous. Several have been made into movies and there was an animated series in England.

And therein lies the problem.

The earth sure isn't flat around these parts. We got hills on hills.

I never knew what flat earth was until I moved to the far Yankee North.
I grew up with hills and hollers and ridges, the only flat earth was plots of less than an acre in the bottom where a body could plow up a patch, or the snake back of a ridge which was about as broad as your kitchen table.

Up here in the glaciated Yankee flat lands, why, I can see daylight between tree trunks, and they're on the same level plane as me!

That STILL strikes me as unnatural!

My daughter once brought home a suitor who tried to tell me that man has never walked on the moon. I asked upon what he based his opinion, and he replied that he watched the movie "Apollo 13" and that we couldn't get it done.

Erin saw my face go red and nudged me away, and I was smart enough to not open the yapper when that pi$$ed.

After cooling off I emphaticly rectified the young man's ignorance and told my daughter that she deserved better than the sorry boy in front of me.

My daughter once brought home a suitor who tried to tell me that man has never walked on the moon. I asked upon what he based his opinion, and he replied that he watched the movie "Apollo 13" and that we couldn't get it done.

Erin saw my face go red and nudged me away, and I was smart enough to not open the yapper when that pi$$ed.

After cooling off I emphaticly rectified the young man's ignorance and told my daughter that she deserved better than the sorry boy in front of me.

Houston, we DO have a problem! Sadly, the amount and kind of education being given (or denied) youngsters lately, leads to just this kind of horse hockey! If most of the American public was educated in "Civics" or "American Government" classes on how the American government is supposed to work, they would have laughed all 19+ candidates off the stage! :wacko::blink:

Archived