SASS Wire Forum

Question for you GUNFIGHTERS

Widder, SASS #59054

I am a relatively new GF'r compared to some of you but agree the stage dictates to me what I might do. Consider target size,distance and the specific stage. I will usually go DD due to the fact that I don't want to risk pulling back the hammer for the 6th shot as a 10 second penalty is a lot more than 3-4 second loss shooting DD. Having said that, it's got to be time for me to "go for it" and be a Gunfighter unless the stage won't allow it. Maybe a should get some words of wisdom from Mr Gunfighter 101 his self ---- Buck D Law!!!

Cody Maverick said it for me! As a newer gunfighter, there are situations that, for me, are best done DD, however, I am all in Gunfighter and ALWAYS TRY to shoot each stage as a true gunfighter.

Cody's Quote: "feel that it should be up to the individual shooter and allowances made for which way they want to shoot it. If the stage is written or rules imposed to force the GF to shoot the stage as a Duelist then it would seem only fair that the GF should also have the Duelist's option of shooting both pistols with the same hand".

I had a match yesterday that had 2 split pistol stages. A long gun had to be shot between each pistol. Shooting Double Duelist for me is about a 5 second penalty.

I tried staging my pistols rather than shooting it Double Duelist. It did not work well. Using rank on the stage, the 4 stages that were normal stages I averaged 5 in rank points. The two stages I had to stage guns I averaged 10 'th. Looking at the times, it was about a 10 second penalty for staging the revolvers. It makes sense as I had to stage the revolvers in between a rifle and a shotgun and not knock anything around.

That confirmed that, for me, I'll shoot these DD. I will push that we don't do these type of stages. Split pistols back to back is OK with me, but, in my opinion, forcing DD or making a major time penalty to stage guns for GF shouldn't be done. It's true that in big matches we compete in category. But in local matches there I may be only on GF and I want to be a competitive as possible with the whole posse. That's part of the fun for me.

NNV

NNV,

If you never split pistols at your locals or at least practice it, you will really suffer at an annual.

I'll 2nd this statement from one of the best!!

While you won't generally see a lot of these in the bigger shoots you see it enough to warrant some practice and proficient DD ability.

Spades H.

I do practice it and have shot stages DD in Regional, State and Local matches. I do fine. That doesn't mean I like it.

NNV

I shoot gunfighter. If I wanted to shoot duelist, I would.

Exactly.

I will look for any and every way to have both revolvers blazing ....

..............why should I have to settle for second best?

I only settle for second best when I'm hiding from Cody Maverick. Haha. I agree with your assessment that GF is the way to go because it just feels better and yields more fun when it goes smoothly and quickly.

I feel that it should be up to the individual shooter and allowances made for which way they want to shoot it. If the stage is written or rules imposed to force the GF to shoot the stage as a Duelist then it would seem only fair that the GF should also have the Duelist's option of shooting both pistols with the same hand.

This guy really thinks about the effect of the change and in this case he is spot on as the split pistols forcing double duelist affects both your transitions and shot to shot splits. Effect vs. Affect

NNV,

If you never split pistols at your locals or at least practice it, you will really suffer at an annual.

And then the truth rings out...as long as it's sanctioned by the rulebook, we that present a brace of pistols at once...have to live with it. So by embracing the challenge, and not dwelling on how dangburned ridiculous it is to be essentially forced out of category, we overcome adversity. Hehehe.

The use of Double Duelist in Gunfighter is, plain and simple, about as fun as driving a clutchless "manual" transmission.

Protect Double Duelist against wanton encroachment by undesirable Gunfighters! Duelist is for gentleman's quarrels. Gunfighter is for ruffians and ambidextrous abnormalities. 😁

I've shot GF for maybe 14 yrs now, and I relish the opportunity to actually employ neat transitions once in a while...

I had a match yesterday that had 2 split pistol stages. A long gun had to be shot between each pistol. Shooting Double Duelist for me is about a 5 second penalty.

I tried staging my pistols rather than shooting it Double Duelist. It did not work well. Using rank on the stage, the 4 stages that were normal stages I averaged 5 in rank points. The two stages I had to stage guns I averaged 10 'th. Looking at the times, it was about a 10 second penalty for staging the revolvers. It makes sense as I had to stage the revolvers in between a rifle and a shotgun and not knock anything around.

That confirmed that, for me, I'll shoot these DD. I will push that we don't do these type of stages. Split pistols back to back is OK with me, but, in my opinion, forcing DD or making a major time penalty to stage guns for GF shouldn't be done. It's true that in big matches we compete in category. But in local matches there I may be only on GF and I want to be a competitive as possible with the whole posse. That's part of the fun for me.

NNV

So because you want to shoot Gunfighter, a category with advantages and disadvantages, and you want to be competitive overall certain types of stage design should not be used?

Stage designs that are interesting and that offer shooters more variety should not be employed because you don't like them?

Why should every stage of every match be GF approved?

Why should everyone be restricted for the sake of one category?

If you want to shoot GF then shoot it but don't try to require the way the game is played to be changed to suit your sense of fairness.

Good stage design doesn't always have to have the pistols back to back......

Stan

Stan,

I agree.

For the record, my original post was to only seek info on preferences of splitting pistols vs. DD style.

I hope no one interprets my Thread as a complaint or suggestion that all the stages MUST be approved by GFer's or "GF Friendly", which I think is a term misused by many folks.

ANYHOW, thanks everyone for good input.

..........Widder

If GF'er have to shoot DD and they think that slows them down, unfair and all that, then what do they think about double-tap sweeps or dump targets? It should be a run-a-way time saver for them. There are more double-tap sweep stages than split pistol stages.

If GF'er have to shoot DD and they think that slows them down, unfair and all that, then what do they think about double-tap sweeps or dump targets? It should be a run-a-way time saver for them. There are more double-tap sweep stages than split pistol stages.

I don't think it is about advantage as much as being forced to shoot out of category. I am sure you would not enjoy having to shoot duelist if you shot two handed. But alas it matters not. We gunfighters have come to expect that it is all part of the game we choose to play and must adapt. But to answer your question, double tap sweeps are great, and I really love two dump plates with rules being dump five on one and five on the other in any order. Most will shoot the first one five times, then the second. But I enjoy alternating so that I can have both pistols blazing at two different targets. Plus that half a second between targets lets some of the smoke clear.

I don't think it is about advantage as much as being forced to shoot out of category. I am sure you would not enjoy having to shoot duelist if you shot two handed. But alas it matters not. We gunfighters have come to expect that it is all part of the game we choose to play and must adapt. But to answer your question, double tap sweeps are great, and I really love two dump plates with rules being dump five on one and five on the other in any order. Most will shoot the first one five times, then the second. But I enjoy alternating so that I can have both pistols blazing at two different targets. Plus that half a second between targets lets some of the smoke clear.

????? what would typically force a GF to shoot DD??? Answer, another long gun usage after first five rounds of pistol. That LG would be staged on a prop, hopefully big enough to temporary restage your two pistols upon. Therefore, you could shoot within category. May not be the fastest, but you could continue to shoot GF style.

I personally shoot two handed but LH strong. Try running backwards most of the time (left to right movement)

Help me out here, what other scenerio would force a GF to shoot the stage DD style?

Thanks

????? what would typically force a GF to shoot DD??? Answer, another long gun usage after first five rounds of pistol. That LG would be staged on a prop, hopefully big enough to temporary restage your two pistols upon. Therefore, you could shoot within category. May not be the fastest, but you could continue to shoot GF style.

I personally shoot two handed but LH strong. Try running backwards most of the time (left to right movement)

Help me out here, what other scenerio would force a GF to shoot the stage DD style?

Thanks

There are a few situations. There are still a few clubs out there with down range movement. At one of the clubs I shoot, you can not move with guns, even though sass allows it. So that would be one. In another scenario, again with downrange movement, you shoot one pistol, shoot rifle, place rifle in rack, grab shotgun and go down range. I am not sure how you could shoot that one gunfighter. Similarly, shoot rifle, shoot first pistol, go down range, shoot shotgun, shoot second pistol. And then there are stages where you use a "horse" for the long guns, so no table to put pistols on, thus again you can't shoot it gunfighter. Now before you say these never happen, I wouldn't have listed them if I hadn't faced them already. There are other scenarios with side to side movement where you have to run all the way back to the other end of the stage to retrieve guns if you shot them gunfighter, which is exactly what I do, but other gunfighters do complain about it.

There are a few situations. There are still a few clubs out there with down range movement. At one of the clubs I shoot, you can not move with guns, even though sass allows it. So that would be one. In another scenario, again with downrange movement, you shoot one pistol, shoot rifle, place rifle in rack, grab shotgun and go down range. I am not sure how you could shoot that one gunfighter. Similarly, shoot rifle, shoot first pistol, go down range, shoot shotgun, shoot second pistol. And then there are stages where you use a "horse" for the long guns, so no table to put pistols on, thus again you can't shoot it gunfighter. Now before you say these never happen, I wouldn't have listed them if I hadn't faced them already. There are other scenarios with side to side movement where you have to run all the way back to the other end of the stage to retrieve guns if you shot them gunfighter, which is exactly what I do, but other gunfighters do complain about it.

Thanks,

Your points are noted.

PS, I believe you. Have you ever considered they plain just don't like you. LOL

gimme any stage, I'll shoot it with a grin,,,, except one, when they split the revolvers and then have a 5 shot dump...ugh!!

Shooting Double Duelist is NOT shooting out of category. It is part of the Gunfighter Category description.

Stan

yup!!

Shooting Double Duelist is NOT shooting out of category. It is part of the Gunfighter Category description.

Stan

It sure is and a competitive GF should practice it enough to be prepared and comfortable with it when the need arises. So far; I've managed to find something equally useful to do with that free hand. ;)

It sure is and a competitive GF should practice it enough to be prepared and comfortable with it when the need arises. So far; I've managed to find something equally useful to do with that free hand. ;)

Slapping other competitors down the score sheet....hahaha

When my left hand is free I find it useful to pick my nose............................and I practice a lot!

I shot one last weekend that I thought was cool as a Gunfighter.

___[P1]_____________[P4]___

________[P2]___[P3]___

___________PosA___

Instructions: Place two rounds on each inside target then three rounds on each outside target.

Thinking as a Gunfighter, it should be obvious how I shot it. :)

Id go,,, dbl tap 2 and 3 the triple 4 and then 1 starting with right revolver

ShyAnnie,

that would have you either doing a few crossovers and/or a lead change.

Going from #4 all the way back over to #1 with the Right pistol is a big move.

..........Widder

Id go,,, dbl tap 2 and 3 the triple 4 and then 1 starting with right revolver

Me too, except I would have led with the right pistol on P2 so that I would be going to P1 with the left revolver.

I will usually shoot DD if it requires me to have to put the pistols down and then pick them back up. Picking up both pistols off of a table and getting both hands where I want them is not always consistent in a competitive situation for me. I practice it but too many variables in the real world and it slows things down. If it is shoot 5 at one location and move to another location and shoot 5 with no need to put the pistols down then will normally shoot GF style. So as articulated by others, it depends ....

L P2

R P3

L P2

R P3

L P1

R P4

L P1

R P4

L P1

R P4

and CLEAN... :)

next shooter.........