SASS Wire Forum

Question for you GUNFIGHTERS

Widder, SASS #59054

When a stage scenario dictates a split pistol activity (pistol, long gun, pistol),

Do YOU find yourself more proficient, time wise, shooting it GF style or do you find yourself more proficient shooting it Double Duelist?

AND, does it matter if its a stand/deliver stage or a stage with minimal movement between those 3 firearms?

Personally, I find myself more proficient using GF style thru these scenarios. I think I lose about 2+ seconds when I shoot Double Duelist.

I know all the GF are only competing within their own Category, but in overall standings for a match, 2+ seconds on your time hurts.

Thanks

..........Widder

Double Duelist... I don't feel like I would be able to stop myself on the empty chamber shooting it GF...at least don't want to risk it..and it doesn't matter what type of stage.

It depends on a lot of things like how much room is on the staging area where the guns would have to be placed. If it's a going to be a stand and deliver and there is plenty of room on the staging for all of the guns then I'd stay GFer, if there was'nt much room for all of the guns then DD..

If there is movement, I tend to go DD and work out good gun transitions to make up time.. But I've done both, it really depends on the senerio and what my first gut instinct tells me or what seems natural!!

Spades H. PS: Hey Widder is that special rifle you been workin on for me ready yet!!😎

I love to watch good gunfighter move with their pistols,wish I could.I always shoot split pistols DD.

Spades H. PS: Hey Widder is that special rifle you been workin on for me ready yet!!😎

Well, it was ready but somebody broke into my house and stole it. Took my favorite jar of PNut butter also.

Thats my story and I'm sticking to it.

p.s. - I forgot to mention that I already spent the money you paid me for the rifle work. Sorry..... :)

..........Widder

Double Duelist for me...it's easier and more natural for me to draw from the holster, awkward for me to pick up the pistol from the table and adjust my grip. Also if allowed I would probably lay first handgun on the table after shooting it empty, Faster than watching as I put it in my holster,

BW

Split pistols are a lot of fun - shoot 5 and move. I shoot it GF, especially if I don't have to shoot a gun between the strings.

CR

If the pistols are shot back to back but from different positions, I'll shoot it GF. If I have to stage the pistols on a table crowded with the shotgun and rifle, I'll probably shoot it DD. I think holstering on the run is quicker than carrying both pistols and putting them on the table and then trying to retrieve them later. A lot depends on the shooting sequence and the layout of the stage.

I've been doing this for about 7 months, and I've found I'm faster staying with GF. I double cock and shoot. To avoid the inadvertant cocking on the sixth shot (assuming it's 5 pistol, other long gun, 5 pistol) I cock and shoot right pistol, double cock and shoot, double cock and shoot, stage and then shoot long gun. Then the second pistol sequence is retrieve pistols from prop, double cock and shoot, double cock and shoot, then cock and shoot left pistol.

Personally, I don't write stages that force a gunfighter to shoot double duelist because I don't think it is fair to force one class of shooters out of their category. I'll split the pistols, but it's back to back. I also don't write a complicated sequence on split pistols stages because the hard part is the move between the pistols with the GF needing to keep the pistols down range and the standard shooters having to holster first gun, and unholster the second gun as they move between the shooting positions.

I do both, but not by choice. Some of the clubs I shoot at don't allow movement with guns out or staging them. Club rules. Given the choice, I will always shoot it gunfighter no matter how much easier or faster DD might be. I shoot gunfighter. If I wanted to shoot duelist, I would. To me, either movement with guns out, or staging in between long gun strings just adds to the fun of shooting gunfighter. But I'm not known for my speed, rather my ability to have two pistols belching as much black powder smoke and flames as possible.

DD, If they are split by another firearm

..........Widder

I've been thinking about this topic again and I have a fresh approach to shooting split pistols.

My idea is to

and I have it on good authority it's legal ;)

Totally depends on the situation. If stand and deliver or target order. If i can gain back the two seconds lost in transitions ill go dd if not gf. I don't double cock so i don't worry about the 6th hammer pull

Well,

As a general rule I will shoot split pistols Gunfighter style, cause we can. On those occasions when I lack mental acuity or Art UR Ittis got hold of my left thumb joint, I will endure shooting Double Duelist.

Hasta Luego, Keystone

..........Widder

I've been thinking about this topic again and I have a fresh approach to shooting split pistols.

My idea is to

and I have it on good authority it's legal ;)

E.F.Hutton?

Well, it was ready but somebody broke into my house and stole it. Took my favorite jar of PNut butter also.Thats my story and I'm sticking to it.p.s. - I forgot to mention that I already spent the money you paid me for the rifle work. Sorry..... :)..........Widder

Soooo, this is how I decipher Widder speak! You used the money I paid for the gun work on PNut butter then you ate all of the PNut butter then sold the gun fer more PNut butter!!!

Well Karl tried to tell me but I did'nt listen sooo live an learn!!!🤓

That's my story Spades H.

I'd shoot it double duelist. My style of gunfighting is all about doing things in the way that makes most sense. Shooting split pistols DD makes more sense because you eliminate a couple of potential mistakes. Some folks like to challenge themselves though and more power to them.

For me it depends on the targets. If the targets are smaller and further away, thus requiring more careful aiming, I'll shoot double duelist. But if the targets are big and close, I'll shoot gunfighter style. And that' whether or not there are interviening guns, movement or whatever.

This is mainly because I just like to shoot fast (for me) when the targets are big enough to actually hit.

I've only been shooting gunfighter about a year, so in any split pistol scenario -especially one with movement I will shoot double duelist. Otherwise my hands are way ahead of my head and I end up with a cocked revolver before the move or a procedural.

LQ

I'm slow either way...........so I go for the fun factor.........GF all the way

GunFighter Dawg

i will look for any and every way to have both revolvers blazing .... including going way across the range to stage them and comming back for the long guns, if needed.

I only shoot DD if I am really forced to ..... either by stage instruction or stage design ...... and I don't like it.

..............why should I have to settle for second best ?

(time is irrelevent)

Double Duelist... I don't feel like I would be able to stop myself on the empty chamber shooting it GF...at least don't want to risk it..and it doesn't matter what type of stage.

+1. duelist also gives you a free hand to pick up a rifle or shotgun

When a stage scenario dictates a split pistol activity (pistol, long gun, pistol),

Do YOU find yourself more proficient, time wise, shooting it GF style or do you find yourself more proficient shooting it Double Duelist?

AND, does it matter if its a stand/deliver stage or a stage with minimal movement between those 3 firearms?

Personally, I find myself more proficient using GF style thru these scenarios. I think I lose about 2+ seconds when I shoot Double Duelist.

I know all the GF are only competing within their own Category, but in overall standings for a match, 2+ seconds on your time hurts.

Thanks

..........Widder

When this has come up I have usually gone with DD believing I can perform the stage smoother and quicker. And, it might matter if it was a stand/deliver vs movement but other aspects of the stage could matter as well.

I feel that it should be up to the individual shooter and allowances made for which way they want to shoot it. If the stage is written or rules imposed to force the GF to shoot the stage as a Duelist then it would seem only fair that the GF should also have the Duelist's option of shooting both pistols with the same hand.

W,

I certainly have no input as to gunfighter style, but I can sympathize with you in the feeling of loosing time per order of what/when. I, and I suggest numerous duelist, often feel a loss in time when certain dumps are per stage directions. IMO, dumps, in many circumstances, can hinder a duelist in overall standings. Sure, it mostly balances out in category.....but not always in overall versus other categories. Of course, all in the game, and I guess some shooters could think gunfighters have advantages in certain target sequences, but I maintain gunfighters have their on disadvantages in thinking it all out ...I just stand amazed at times in watching proficient gunfighters. Had Possum on my posse at EOT a few years ago....wow, what an artist. Then shooting with Nuttin can put one in a daze also. Just so many "greats" in the single-handed categories now, even in cap guns.

Still looking for that handshake meet along the trail.

bb

I just started shooting SASS in November 2015. I started as a Gunfighter. Some in my club were surprised that I was starting out as a Gunfighter but that is where I wanted to wind up, so that is where I started.

Since then I have only shot one stage as a Double Duelist. It was Stage 8 - The Livery at the 2016 LA State Championship. I couldn't figure out how to shoot it Gunfighter without growing a 3rd hand or making multiple trips to carry weapons.

Maybe Possum Skinner or someone else that is whole lot better than me figured out how to shoot it Gunfighter. I was the only Gunfighter on my Posse so I didn't get to watch anyone else try it.

________________[R1]___[R2]___[R3]___[R4]_______

__[s1]__[s2]____________________________________[s3]___[s4]___

__________[P1]__[P2]________________[P3]__[P4]___

Left Stall Middle Stall Right Stall.

_________Saddle Rack ________

Door w/Reins

Pistols: Holstered 5 rds ea. Staged 1 in left stall, 1 in right stall.

Rifle: Middle Stall 10 rds.

Shotgun: Left or Right Stall

Shooter starts in the door holding the reins.

Line: "Let 'er buck, boys!"

ATB: Drop the reins and shooter's choice to move to left or right stall.

Shooter's choice to begin with pistols or shotgun. Pistol order is 3-2 starting on either end. Shotgun engage two shotgun targets until down. Taking your shotgun move to middle stall and make shotgun safe.

From middle stall engage the four rifle targets with a 3-2-3-2 sweep starting on either end. Make rifle safe, retrieve shotgun and move to opposite stall.

From opposite stall, shooter's choice to begin with pistols or shotgun. Pistol order is 3-2 starting on either end. Shotgun engage two shotgun targets until down.

Possum Skinner is a really nice fellow, by the way. So was everyone else I met and shot with there.

Edited to correct stage instructions.

J.W.,

It was a pleasure to meet you.

Actually, pistols were staged, one on each end. (This was a change to the written scenarios for safety) This was one of those stages that you really COULDN'T shoot gunfighter. They are pretty rare, but you do encounter them.

At a local, I may shoot a split pistol stage DD just for the practice or may move with pistols for the same reason. Or may change things up just for the fun factor.

In a match that matters, e.g. The Louisiana State Championship, where fractions of a second are the difference between being overall state champ or finishing 2nd or 3rd, I will always shoot it the way I think will be fastest. As I already said, that is determined by shooting sequence, target array, size and distance and amount of movement.

i.e. target array is 2 targets spread pretty far apart and sequence is alternate gunfighter is a no-brainer. Especially if pistols are shot from same position.

It is easier to be accurate when concentrating on only one set of sights, therefore if targets are small or far, DD is probably best.

Everyone who is serious about winning should practice and time different scenarios so they know what works best for them.

Good discussion.

Possum

i will look for any and every way to have both revolvers blazing .... including going way across the range to stage them and comming back for the long guns, if needed.

I only shoot DD if I am really forced to ..... either by stage instruction or stage design ...... and I don't like it.

..............why should I have to settle for second best ?

(time is irrelevent)

That's exactly how I feel. I have quite literally shot five, staged guns, ran across the stage shooting the rifle, ran all the way back to shoot the second five, then run back again to shoot the shotgun. Ran about 3 times what I needed to, but you know what? I shot the darn thing gunfighter haha.

I tend to shoot GF unless it's absolutely impractical to do so. I haven't (knock on wood) cocked a pistol when I didn't mean to; I usually mentally walk through it at the reloading table, figure out which number in my shot count to stop, sometimes I'll drop the muzzle of the gun I intend to restage while firing the last shot in the string. Oh, and remember which gun to start with when you get back to 'em!

Stage writers could allow GFers to stage both guns in the same stall so they could remain in category. Probably not malicious, but a gunfighter might think of it where a non GFer writing stages might not. It's no advantage, because the distance needs to be covered in either case. It's an education process.

CR

Depends on the layout of the stage itself. If the stage props provide a secure place to set the guns down, I prefer to shoot Gunfighter throughout. I'm with Widder. Double Dualist really slows me down.

Of course, if there is no place to set em down ............................. stuck.

I don't shoot for the top 10 anymore, but as Widder pointed out, +2-3 seconds here and there can really effect where you place. Or also ran.

Coffinmaker

Archived