SASS Wire Forum

AMC - Starting Tonight

Chief Rick

The final season of Hell On Wheels starts at 9:00 PM Eastern - 8:00 PM Central time.

Following is the first episode of the new series The American West.

Spanning the years 1865 to 1890, The American West, will show how -- in the aftermath of the Civil War -- the United States transforms into the “land of opportunity.” Viewers will be transported into the violent world of cowboys, Indians, outlaws and law men. The 8-episode limited event series chronicles the personal, little-known stories of Western legends such as Jesse James, Billy the Kid, Wyatt Earp, Crazy Horse and Sitting Bull. The series features exclusive interviews with notable names from classic Western films, including Robert Redford, James Caan, Burt Reynolds, Tom Selleck, Kiefer Sutherland, Mark Harmon, Ed Harris and more.

Thanks for the reminder, gotta check and see if I have enough popcorn!! ;)

Thanks for the reminder. I saw a preview for American West and wanted to set up a recording. I'll tune in to Hell on Wheels at 9 CT so I can skip all those pesky commercials.

Although I love documentaries on the historical Old West I sure would like to see them do some biographies on some other notable figures from those years. Instead of yet again going over Billy the Kid or Jesse James and Wyatt Earp, it would certainly be refreshing to see stories on Bill Tilghman, Heck Thomas, Bass Reeves, Luke Short, Dave Mathers, Bill Longly, Kit Carson, Ben Thompson, Jane Canary, Belle Starr, King Fisher, and even John Wesley Hardin. Perhaps something on Loving and Goodnight. And certainly there must be some great stuff on the Texas Rangers somewhere. Or how about Micky Free?

I'll certainly watch the series however. And I'll enjoy it. :)

The American West reviews are not so good. I recorded it to watch today. We'll see.

For most of last nights episode the background music was so busy and loud I couldn't understand the narrator.

I've noticed that with a lot of programs lately. Dialogue gets covered up.

American West was PATHETIC! They get actors that can barely walk a straight line wearing boots, riding a horse they look like a bag of potatoes, of course the firearms were off years and some by decades. Custer looked like a drunk homeless person.

The first installment was not worth my time the historical inaccuracies and ignoring period equipment make any commentary highly suspect in my opinion.

Wow. That sucked.

Good to know. Think I'll just skip it and watch MASH reruns.

I just finished watching the first episode, and came away rather unimpressed. The weapons they are using are completely period inaccurate, Colt SAA's in 1866, 1892 Winchesters in 1866, they show the soldiers in the massacre with Trapdoor Springfields...then have them reloading them like muzzleloaders.

While we all know that Hollywood seldom worries about historical accuracy with clothing and weapons they should at least build a story and get decent actors.

They are describing Custer as having long, curly "blonde" hair while showing the guy with Auburn/redish hair?????? Broad brimmed floppy hat and all they did was flatten a normal officers hat.

You guys mentioned the guns inaccuracy. Terrible show, acting, writing, script, narration....

Ike

Archived