SASS Wire Forum

Some photos of my latest Flintlock Build

guitar_slinger

I'm looking at the inletting job around that lock plate.

Tight, smooth, consistent ... THAT is some precise work!!!

Linn Keller, thanks. Takes about 4 or 5 hours for me to properly inlet a lock. About 100 hours +/- for a rifle like this. All hand work with files, chisels, knives, scrapers and sandpaper.

Some of the more fancy guns get close to 200 hours. Labor of love for sure.

BEAUTIMUS, JUST BEAUTIMUS. TASCOSA SAID IT ALL. AN ARTIST FOR SURE.

What caliber, looks to be about .36?

BMC,

She's a .32 cal. Little pea shooter squirrel rifle. :)

Lookin good. Everytime I see a lollipop tang I make a vow to never inlet another. LOL

Inletting takes time but it's nothing compered to hand filing one to shape from a long straight tang. I've done 3 and each one I also swear I'll never do another.

Inletting takes time but it's nothing compered to hand filing one to shape from a long straight tang. I've done 3 and each one I also swear I'll never do another.

One would be enough for me. That metal is thick and harder to remove than meets the eye. I tapered a long straight into a spear point ..that was enough for me

Thanks again Pards. She did turn out pretty nice but at the end of the day, it's just a working man's rifle.

I forgot to put the specs. For those interested in such things:

• Barrel: .32 cal 42" Swamped A Weight made by Getz back in the late 1980's.
  • Lock: Chambers Late Ketland. Lock Plate modified (rounded pointy tail, thinned here and there) to be more appropriate with timeframe of rifle.
  • Stock: Maple more or less straight grain. Some figure out toward the muzzle
  • Triggers: Double Set Single Phase (must set trigger to cock rifle). Made by Rice Barrel Company. Length/shape customized by me.
  • Butt Plate, Toe Plate, ramrod thimbles - sheet copper shaped, and formed by me. Held on with iron tacks (and a little epoxy in the nail holes to keep nails from backing out. Have to pre-drill forged nails going into end grain or you have splits. I marked the nail locations, drilled, glued in dowels and then pre-drilled the dowels. Nails actually are going into dowels not the raw wood.
  • Trigger Guard - Iron. Western Carolina Style. bought from Tipp Curtis.
  • Stain: Dark Brown over Chestnut (to give some red sowing through). Alcohol based dye.
  • Finish - Tung Oil.
  • Sights - iron, dovetails in barrel cut by hand (hack saw and file and lots of time).

GS.

You mentioned shaping the tang.

Making it long and pointy is especially difficult.

Symmetry is beautiful to look at but hard to achieve, especially when you consider ... the human eye can detect an asymmetry of one-ten-thousandth of an inch.

I too know what it is to use Prussian blue and hand work to inlet that lock work.

Took me considerably longer than the time you mentioned ... I have all the patience of a skip flea ... you can't do good work unless you are in the mood to do good work, and I have to stop and step away from it at intervals and sometimes I just can't even start ... if I do, it never comes out right.

"Good work ... square work, such as I have orders to receive."

Guest Grass Range #51406

Great work and good pics. How do you attach pics without the silly photobucket process?

Archived