SASS Wire Forum

"The Greatest of All Times" Has Passed

Subdeacon Joe

Muhammad Ali, the silver-tongued boxer and civil rights champion who famously proclaimed himself "The Greatest" and then spent a lifetime living up to the billing, is dead.

"After a 32-year battle with Parkinson's disease, Muhammad Ali has passed away at the age of 74. The three-time World Heavyweight Champion boxer died this evening," Bob Gunnell, a family spokesman, told NBC News.

Ali had suffered for three decades from Parkinson's Disease, a progressive neurological condition that slowly robbed him of both his legendary verbal grace and his physical dexterity. A funeral service is planned in his hometown of Louisville, Kentucky.

Rest in peace, Champ.

R.I.P. Cassius Clay

I saw him years ago at the Taos Pow Wow. During an intermission they had him come into the center of the dance arena and many of the pueblo indians gathered around him - he towered over them (they were rather short) by more than a head. I never realized until then how tall he was. I think the daughter of our friends got his autograph.

Draft Dodgers are the guys who took off for Canada or faked disability or other things to not get drafted. He stayed here and and took his punishment. Imagine what his boxing legacy would be if he had not missed 3 years while in his prime. Smokin Gator

Draft dodger. :angry:

No he wasn't. Draft dodgers went to Canada. He stayed here and faced the scorn, criticism and punishment. There a big difference, IMHO.

Draft dodger. :angry:

+1

I'll just leave it at that. No need to get into trouble over this issue.

Me and a good buddy spent a day (playing hookie) at his Deer Lake training camp in '74, as HS sophomores. It was one of the best days I ever had skipping school. Athlete, entertainer, philosopher, activist, showman, marketer, historian, magician.........he was all those in less than 2 hrs.

To me, he'll always be "the champ". R.I.P. Champ

Sonny Liston took the dive for the mob.

Draft Dodgers are the guys who took off for Canada or faked disability or other things to not get drafted. He stayed here and and took his punishment. Imagine what his boxing legacy would be if he had not missed 3 years while in his prime. Smokin Gator

+1.

Sept 10, 1966, The Colonel's driver drove the XO to Frankfurt, for his flight to Viet Nam. I hitched a ride because I had business with our ordnance company in Heilbronn. When we got the Rhein Main the GIs who had been watching the Ali-Mildenberger fight were very excited and all over the place. thousands of them in fatigues.

If you want to see that fight:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8jcQbAimkU

Ali was making a European tour.

Ringside commentary is by the Great How-ard KO-sell.

I recall the media discussions at the time... in '64, he failed the U S Armed Forces qualifying test because his writing and spelling skills were sub-standard.

The following year, the test standards were lowered; a few months later, he was reclassified 1-A.

He applied for Conscientious Objector status, was declined, and declared he would not serve in a war. Subsequently, he was suspended from boxing, fined $10,000, and sentenced to five years in prison.

This was overturned by the Supreme Court, 8-0. Almost unanimous - Justice Thurgood Marshall rightfully recused himself.

"Draft dodger?" Maybe... maybe not. But he did stand up for his convictions, and certainly wasn't a coward.

I just had, still have, ill feelings about it. His name was Cassius Clay, got drafted, suddenly became a muslim, changed name to Muhammad Ali, avoided the draft. Draft dodger in my book. Those that didn't have the big bucks, went to Canada. Draft dodger, don't matter how ya did it.

I recall the media discussions at the time... in '64, he failed the U S Armed Forces qualifying test because his writing and spelling skills were sub-standard.

The following year, the test standards were lowered; a few months later, he was reclassified 1-A.

He applied for Conscientious Objector status, was declined, and declared he would not serve in a war. Subsequently, he was suspended from boxing, fined $10,000, and sentenced to five years in prison.

This was overturned by the Supreme Court, 8-0. Almost unanimous - Justice Thurgood Marshall rightfully recused himself.

"Draft dodger?" Maybe... maybe not. But he did stand up for his convictions, and certainly wasn't a coward.

Well said.

I just had, still have, ill feelings about it. His name was Cassius Clay, got drafted, suddenly became a muslim, changed name to Muhammad Ali, avoided the draft. Draft dodger in my book. Those that didn't have the big bucks, went to Canada. Draft dodger, don't matter how ya did it.

We will have to agree to disagree.

Smokin D. You are wrong about the sequence of events that led up to his refusal to serve. After winning the gold medal, representing the U.S., and what he had to put up with on his return to the U.S., I don't blame him one bit. Refusing to serve, standing his ground and not running, and suffering the consequences is not dodging. Of course we are all free to "choose" to believe anything we want. Smokin Gator

He was an outstanding boxer but only a few people close to him know what he really believed in. I put my duty to my country ahead of anything else and never looked back. I am not a great fan of journalism in our country and tend to make up my own mind about what they say is the truth in their stories. There were many celebrities in our country who served if nothing more than with the USO. Let the family alone to get through their sorrow and I am sure life will continue. RIP to a talented athlete. DC

We will have to agree to disagree.

Smokin D. You are wrong about the sequence of events that led up to his refusal to serve. After winning the gold medal, representing the U.S., and what he had to put up with on his return to the U.S., I don't blame him one bit. Refusing to serve, standing his ground and not running, and suffering the consequences is not dodging. Of course we are all free to "choose" to believe anything we want. Smokin Gator

I certainly have no problem with other beliefs and opinions. Just the draft thing I had problems with him. As a boxer, the greatest, as a human and what he accomplished for others, one of the great ones also. R.I.P. Cassious Clay The Great One!

I was never a fan!

I hear ya, but....he didn't want to go to Vietnam to hurt people, but was more than willing to profit on bashing a person's face and body? weird to me, but that's just me I guess -

Yes, he will be honored for being the "greatest (heavyweight) boxer of all time" (Jesus Christ is truly the "Greatest of All Time" :) )...and his work as a humanitarian - much respect for that. May his family find comfort in his passing.

GG ~ :FlagAm:

You doubters need to research the reason why he threw his Olympic gold medal in the river. You might get a little insight on what the man going through.

Guest Grass Range #51406

I don't care one way or the other about C. Clay but he has a very pretty daughter

The greatest what?

Heavyweight boxer.

He often proclaimed he was the greatest.

Was he? That is open to opinion.

While I am neither a boxing fan in general nor a good judge of talent or style, there are boxers that I like more than Ali.

He often proclaimed he was the greatest.

Was he? That is open to opinion.

While I am neither a boxing fan in general nor a good judge of talent or style, there are boxers that I like more than Ali.

To most people IN the boxing profession Ali is considered the greatest heavyweight boxer.

Perhaps...and I'm not arguing their opinion, just sharing mine. Theirs may be backed up by statistics or competitive criteria, but as I stated in my first post, mine is not. The term 'greatest' in my mind speaks to more than just statistics.

To me, someone who repeatedly proclaims how great they are, or how bad they are, frequently aren't. Some may call it showmanship or whatever, most times I call it annoying at best.

Given the choice to have dinner with Ali or any other boxer, I'd choose George Foreman.

Perhaps...and I'm not arguing their opinion, just sharing mine. Theirs may be backed up by statistics or competitive criteria, but as I stated in my first post, mine is not. The term 'greatest' in my mind speaks to more than just statistics.

To me, someone who repeatedly proclaims how great they are, or how bad they are, frequently aren't. Some may call it showmanship or whatever, most times I call it annoying at best.

Given the choice to have dinner with Ali or any other boxer, I'd choose George Foreman.

Well. Ali is dead so you can't have dinner with him anyway :D

Archived