SASS Wire Forum

Reloading quantity

Jess Money

In a previous post, Rye Miles stated he had 1500 rounds loaded for matches. I guess with a bunch of matches scheduled to attend that would be necessary for many of you. I can't see myself loading that many in advance, but I only shoot two, sometimes three matches a month. However,it would be interesting to know how many rounds you load, on average, at a single sitting.

About an hour at a time. So 400 rounds or pistol cartridge or 50 rounds of precision rifle. But what I do you may not need to do. Depends upon how much you shoot and how often you want to take time for a loading session.

Good luck, GJ

I have a Dillon 650 and once it is set up I load all the brass I can find. Then I shoot it till I get down to a few 100 and then do it again. I have about 1000 loaded at the present time. I only load about 400 in one sitting but I do this over several evenings.

I load about 600 44-40 or .45 at a time. I keep all of my brass in plastic food storage jars and that's about what one of them holds. That'll get me through about four matches and a practice session.

Next week I'll be loading up about 5000 rounds or so for one match.

Gatling gun?

I start the season with about 2,500 each rifle and pistol for my wife & myself, close to 10K. Hers will last most of the season, I need to reload later on for myself. I know folks who have much more on hand. Oh the headlines if they ever raided the wrong place and mine was it. :o

That reminds me - I need more lead

CR

All the brass I can find. Need to pick up some more at Starline next time I'm up in Sedalia.

Whenever I reload for a match, I load 10 rounds more than I plan to take to the match. those go into an ammo box for future use. Usually that box has several hundred (200-300) stored in it. That way I always have spares if I get backed up and don't have time to load for a match.

I have about 5000 loaded for my Pistols and rifles.I have maybe 700 shotgun shells loaded.I have 200,410 shell loaded for a little friend that shoots.I do have about 50 BP brass shotgun shells loaded and some BP 38s loaded.

In a previous post, Rye Miles stated he had 1500 rounds loaded for matches. I guess with a bunch of matches scheduled to attend that would be necessary for many of you. I can't see myself loading that many in advance, but I only shoot two, sometimes three matches a month. However,it would be interesting to know how many rounds you load, on average, at a single sitting.

I loaded 2000 rounds over the 4 months that we don't shoot here because of the winter. I load 50-100 at a time and then I'm bored and quit!

I'vre been shooting in a weekly league (1200 rounds for matches during the season..plus practice rounds) and have frustrated myself with not loading for the year over the winter. This year I did - no longer am I loading at 2pm for the match at 5pm! So I loaded 2000 - 1000 heads in a box and did 2 boxes. Have one left to load at some point.

Once you get a load you like, well, load up!

My next match for cowboy is on the 26th..and I have 30 rounds on hand. Plan to load up 1000 - since bullets come 500/box and I have 2 boxes. On my dillon 650 that's only 90 to 120 minutes.

Howdy

Despite what it says on my profile, I actually do not enjoy reloading. Oh, it's OK once I get started, but the basement is such a pig sty right now that I have to move a whole bunch of stuff every time before I start, just to clear my reloading bench. Really have to do something about that.

Anyhoo, being as I am famous for my short attention span, and seeing as I only load Black Powder for CAS, I usually only load up 200 rounds (four boxes) at a time. My poor attention deficit brain can't handle more than that. So figure four boxes of 45 Colt or 44-40 at a time, and maybe four boxes of 12 gauge if I have that much patience.

So I am absolutely not one of those guys who keeps a bazillion loaded rounds on hand at all times.

That's why I was loading 44-40 at midnight last night for the three day match this weekend.

I found reloading boring so I'd reload a few rounds every evening until I had enough plus a few for the next match.

I was fortunate when my press broke it was returned just in time. I didn't miss the next match. So I started to reload enough for two matches in advance.

When I upgraded to a Dillon 650 I started enjoying reloading. Now during the off season (Winter) I reloaded all that I'll need for the following year.

i try to keep enough for 2 matches loaded, but i have on many occasions been loading the night before a match.

Single sitting usually not more than 3-400 rounds, but sometimes do that more than once per day. I usually try to have at least 5-10,000 rounds loaded so I can do all my reloading once per year like the month of Dec.

The only thing that slows my reloading down is my casting. Now that I have two working casting pots, (1 for alloy, 1 for pure PB), I'm starting to get ahead of my "immediate" needs.

DSCN0850.jpg

I try to keep my GI cans full.

IMG_0929.jpg

I generally have 150 rounds of .45 Colt and 150 rounds of .44-40 as well as 35 rounds of 12 ga shotgun. All rounds are black powder or substitute, but I generally only shoot one match per month. However, I try to shoot about 150 rounds of .45 Colt per week in practice.

I usually load about 500 rounds at a whack. But, there are a lot of "whacks." I usually have on hand 1500 - 2000 Rifle and the same for pistol. Pistol last a Loooooooong time cause I primarily shoot Cap Guns for CAS. I only load those 10 at a time :) But I do that 6 times at a match, 4 times a month.

Shotgun is different. I have been mooching 12Ga BP rounds from a shooting partner as I don't have a shotshell loader. But, along with that, I have been collecting All Brass 12Ga and am slowly switching over to All Brass. Those are sloooooow. I run completely out of patience after about a 100. I am trying to build up to a loaded case on hand.

Coffinmaker

OK, I'll confess to being an 'ol coot. Coming up this September I'll turn 75 and move into the Cattle Barron category. I have a good bit of time on my hands and I use it as wisely as possible. I try never to hurrry except when I'm shooting and that always results in more misses. I really enjoy reloading at my own pace with my single stage press. Following a Saturday match, I'll drop the fired brass in my tumbler and clean it and sometime the following week I'll go through the process of preparing the brass for the next loading session. Which will probably be on Wednesday or Thursday. I have a several thousand pieces of clean, polished and deprimed brass that I rotate between matches. I'm anal about powder charges and I really like loading with my Lil Dandy powder measure as it provides constant charges every time. We all know how slow a single stage press can be but I figure 120 finished rounds in an hour is satisfactory. That's enough for a monthly match. Of course I have anothe 20 rounds ready in a spare loading block.

The reason I sold my Dillon 550 many years ago was when my buddy and I were reloading for Bullseye, IPSIC and Action Pistol matches (Bianchi style) we were fond of replacing our guns and calibers. We experimented with new loads and powder all the time looking for that perfect combination and grouping. Like Rye Miles found out, we had loaded waaay too many defective rounds because of a powder charge misfunction on more than one occasion. Lot of wasted time and powder and lead. So, when I entered the CAS game (which I regret not having done years earlier but Ionlyheard of it by accident in 2012) I went to a single stage press and I've never regretted it. Kinda soothes an old man's soul turning out those rounds with me own mitts. LOL!

I will usually load a couple thousand rounds at a time in what ever caliber is low at the moment. When any caliber starts to get low I will ready the components and get them restocked. I rotate between 9, 45 and 38 and have never ran out.

Depends on how mad my wife is at the time. I try to keep enough for a few matches and extra for new shooters. Normally load 1k a sitting try to keep 5k on hand

I usually reload about 400 pistol or rifle rounds per sitting..

I quit sitting when I have around 1600 pistol and 1600 rife rounds loaded up..

I usually reload about 200 12 ga. of shotgun at a sitting...

I quit sitting when I have about 4 cases of shotgun reloaded..

Rance ;)

Thinkin if the law ever gets to my ammo

I'll be one of those guys "He had thousands of rounds of ammunition."

Load 3 to 4 hundred at a time. Normally top off at 1000 to 1200. Once I get down to around 400,load back to 1000 to 1200.

I'm picky about my quality control process .... checking a round usually takes more time than loading it.

I typically do 200 or 300 at a time .... a couple nights a week until all my brass is full.

Empty brass bothers me.

had 1/2 hour to kill before taking my daughhter to cheer - loaded 220 or so 9mm rounds including the primer tubes on a dillon 650. it was already setup to go. took 23 minutes. Will finish the box of 500 bullets tonite or sunday and then do 1500 or more cowboy loads. SHould be less than 4 hours total. Then I should be good till next spring.

like to reload to relax after a crappy day. Couple hundred rounds a nite when I can. My daughter does most of it. e keep a thousand rounds on hand at most times for each caliber. Some more, some less.

I'll generally reload until I have all my plastic 100 round boxes full. The problem has been, every time I go to a gun store I always buy more of those same plastic 100 round boxes. It just keeps going and going and going...

I keep about 5,000 loaded - 2300 chamber-checked for the rifle, 1000 eyeballed, but not chamber-checked for the pistols (I check them at the loading table), & about 1000 more ready for practice or to be chamber-checked to reload the boxes for each match.

I try to load 200-400/day to stay ahead of everything, usually average about 3-4 days/week, & try to load 1000+ during the week all on the 650. I load about 200 shotshells/week, usually in one sitting during the week, sometimes more depending on practice. I try to keep 1000-1250 factory Featherlights & a like amount of re-loads. We use the factory shotshells for big matches & reloads for everything else.

My wife & I both shoot every Saturday, & we try to practice a minimum of once/week.

I spend about 3-4hrs per day in the gun/reloading room, loading, cleaning, & fixing about 4-5 days/week.

Reloading in extreme depth can be a very bad idea, UNLESS you are loading a tried and true load, that has stood the test of time for super performance and reliability.

Too many times re-loaders will turn out a large quantity of "So Called" great loads, only to find that they are no so great. Now they are stuck with a lot of loads that may be iffy and/or undesirable for match use.

My reloading practice, (using tried and true loads), is to load about 10 matches worth at a time. Then when I get down to 1 or 2 matches worth left, I then replenish.

I find no advantage to loading a years supply ahead of time. With the Dillon, reloading every 3 months or so is no problem, and takes only a couple of afternoons at the most, to keep up. Of course, some shooters will not agree with this, and that's their prerogative, but this routine has worked for me quite well over the years.

RBK

Gatling gun?

I start the season with about 2,500 each rifle and pistol for my wife & myself, close to 10K. Hers will last most of the season, I need to reload later on for myself. I know folks who have much more on hand. Oh the headlines if they ever raided the wrong place and mine was it. :o

That reminds me - I need more lead

CR

Nope. Big family and EOT on the horizon.

Nope. Big family and EOT on the horizon.

That's a fact.

I have around 5000 rounds loaded at any given time. I load whatever I shoot every month and then rotate my stock of ammo.

Irish Tom

Archived