SASS Wire Forum

Do you have a favorite pistol shooting sequence/sweep?

Chief Rick

Maybe you like four targets with a Nevada sweep or a progressive sweep...

10 targets with one round each or five targets with two rounds each in any order...

Two targets with five round dumps?

Split pistols?

What do you like?

I'm kind of fond of the Creeker sweep.

Tho, it is possible that I'm biased.

For the uninitiated; the Creeker sweep...

Five targets in a row parallel to the firing line. Better if the middle target differs from the rest as well. (can also be done using only three targets)

Double tap the center target

Single tap - outside

Single tap - other outside

Single tap - inside

Single tap - other inside

Double tap the center target.

No favorites do have some that I don't care for mainly the ones where you have to think and remember the order or ones that are gun manipulation tests.

I like that 'Creeker' sweep. Don't think I've ever shot that one.

My favorite is:

5 targets, engage each target TWICE (no double taps)

As a GF, I go: 3-4-2-5-1-3-2-4-1-5

I like splitting my pistols on sequences like that.

..........Widder

I like variety.

I do not like dump targets: novices have a hard time understanding the dump trap of a wandering point of impact, and the top shooters usually shoot these in unreal times.

For me, targets at different heights are more challengiing than the type of sweep. The challenge keeps the shoot from being boring, but it can also lead to misses.

Shooting gunfighter, I don't like split pistol. I shoot them double duelist. The easiest is double tap sweep. The typical sweeps don't give me much of a problem but some of the convoluted orders are challenging to shoot gunfighter. I've got through most of them without a P.

Snake Pit Sweep!

5 targets, set with three in a row with #4 on top of #2 and #5 below #2. (I drew the target set but the posted image was wrong).

Sequence is left to right, top to bottom, right to left, last shot on center.

Tends to slow the ultra fast shooters down a little with changes of direction and tends to favor BP shooters since smoke rises on top to bottom segment.

However, I haven't been able to get a Match Director to use it yet.

Just sayin'

Amarillo Rattler

Pistols, I like Nevada sweep on 3 targets.

I like the Creeker sweep. I'll get that included in one of our shoots.

I like that 'Creeker' sweep. Don't think I've ever shot that one.

My favorite is:

5 targets, engage each target TWICE (no double taps)

As a GF, I go: 3-4-2-5-1-3-2-4-1-5

I like splitting my pistols on sequences like that.

..........Widder

I bet you would like : 1-5-2-4-3-3-2-4-1-5,,,, (in that order, with target 1 on far left side)

Now, would it mess with you to much if you reversed pistol order on last 4shots? As in: 1-5-2-4-3-3-4-2-5-1 (in that order)

Howdy Blastmaster.

YEP, if the reversed sequence was mandated, it would mess me up a little, no doubt about it.

Matter of fact, it could very well mess up quite a few folks. Just my opin.

p.s. - I would be thinking that the stage writer don't like me..... :)

..........Widder

I have a new favorite designed by one of our shooters called the Shady Sweep.

5 targets on a plate rack in the shape of an upside down V. Start on the bottom left 1-2-1-2-3 bottom right 5-4-5-4-3.

When explained. One, two, cha-cha-cha. Five, four, cha-cha-cha with Miss Shady wiggling her hips with each cha-cha-cha

Howdy Blastmaster.

YEP, if the reversed sequence was mandated, it would mess me up a little, no doubt about it.

Matter of fact, it could very well mess up quite a few folks. Just my opin.

p.s. - I would be thinking that the stage writer don't like me..... :)

..........Widder

fair enough

Yeah

Last year somebody on the Wire invented a sweep and named it after me.

Except now I can't remember what it was.

Kajun sweep.....progressive sweep on 6 targets using both rifle and pistols with a reload on any gun at any time after the beep.

Kajun

Yes, but if I told you, the MD would never use it again... I will say, it ain't the Texas Star. One of these days, I'm going to "clean it" starting with the bottom targets, working UP. :P:D

I like them all as long as I can keep track of what I'm doing.

I seem to often do well with a Lawrence Welk sweep.

I like what I call the Grizzly Dave sweep - 5 targets, double tap the middle target, single tap the targets on either side in any order, double tap the middle, single tap the targets on the other side in any order, double tap the middle target. PoP used this sweep last year though called it something else, they used a large center target that was used for both pistols and rifle. Rifle was first, no problem, then on pistols I went to town, but instead of using the closer pistol side targets I shot at the rifle targets, and dang if I didn't hit most of them! Whole posse got a good laugh out of that.

I also like a 4 target Nevada sweep double tapping the outside targets - 1.1.2.3.4.4.3.2.1.1

Also like a Badger Sweep 1.2.3.4.1.2.3.1.2.1 or the reverse Badger 1.1.2.1.2.3.1.2.3.4 May seem confusing but basically 4 sweeps with one less (or more) target on each successive sweep.

Yeah

Last year somebody on the Wire invented a sweep and named it after me.

Except now I can't remember what it was.

That someone was me. :)

Imagine 10 rifle targets.

You are standing in the middle of the shooting bay, Targets 1-5 of the targets are off to your left. Targets 6-10 are off to your right.

You engage them in the following order...

1-10-2-9-3-8-4-7-5-6

I saw Driftwood do with one when the stage was written as engage all 10 rifle targets one time each in any order. Driftwood shoots black powder, and doing this swing allowed for some of the smoke to clear. Ever since I saw him do it, I thought it was really cool, and even tried it myself. It's fun.

I call it the Driftwood Johnson Sweep.

Hope to see it in some scenarios this summer here in New England. :)

I'm kind of fond of the Creeker sweep.

Tho, it is possible that I'm biased.

For the uninitiated; the Creeker sweep...

Five targets in a row parallel to the firing line. Better if the middle target differs from the rest as well. (can also be done using only three targets)

Single tap - outside

Single tap - other outside

Single tap - inside

Single tap - other inside

Double tap the center target.

As a gunfighter, I would love this one. I love splitting my pistols and shooting left and right. If there are two targets and the scenario is 5 on one and 5 on the other any order, I will always shoot it left right left right for ten. Something so cool about it

As a double duelist, I think I prefer a simple three target "Nevada" sweep" (1-2-3-2-1) starting on either end with each pistol. If I have my rather, I would normally choose right gun to start on right end, left gun to start on left end. It is my belief that duelist, well at least some of us older ones, can shoot single target sweeps faster than a dump, including doubles, IF targets are fairly close in line.

As a new gunfighter I love sweeps like the Creeker sweep, are you listening Smokestack?

Archived