SASS Wire Forum

I'm really getting deef!

Jess Money

As we age, at least in my situation, I'm really losing all of my high ranges. Can't recall the last time I heard a referee's whistle on a TV basketball or football game. Not all, but many of the devices we use for TO's have a signal waay up there in the decible range. What procedure in your club is normally used for us old coots who can't hear a beeper?

I have HEARD that a cattle prod works well to get you moving!

Most use a tap on the shoulder.

A swift kick in the pants usually gets me moving.

As we age, at least in my situation, I'm really losing all of my high ranges. Can't recall the last time I heard a referee's whistle on a TV basketball or football game. Not all, but many of the devices we use for TO's have a signal waay up there in the decible range. What procedure in your club is normally used for us old coots who can't hear a beeper?

Losing your high ranges?I imagine you can't hear a lot of women either.

In the vein of the answers, apparently this subject has been covered before. LOL!

"It's safer than a rub on the back of the leg" Oh yes, I agree! Safer for everybody involved! :P

The local TOs all know to hold the timer about 1" from my ear.

WHAT SAY? Seriously, I started shooting, mainly big bore rifles when I was 18, At first I used cotton, but switched to Lee Sonic Ear Valves when they became available. They didn't work! Didn't close fast enough. As I am righthanded, my left ear was out from behind the receiver and so got most of the blast. By the time I figured out I was losing my hearing in the left ear, it was too late! I now use custom, form-fitted plugs plus ear muffs, to try to save what is left of my right ear's hearing. Since I dress as a cavalry officer, I wear a kepi when I go to the firing line, so the muff band goes over it easily! When I get time, I need to get my DD214 and see if V.A. can fit me with some electric ear trumpets!

I will tap the shooter on the shoulder if thats what they prefer. But, I prefer to place the timer on their shoulder, and lift it off when I hit the buzzer. That way Im sure to be back out of the way when they start to move. And normally I will try to be on the off side of which arm might be moving first.

Its up to the shooter though as to what they prefer.

Archived