SASS Wire Forum

Need advise on hammer double

Just received the okay to start working out with my cowboy guns again after bicep tendon reattachment. I am finding that holding my '97 up for a string is a lot of work. I have a cheap mule ear, but I have been looking at upgrading. Cimarron has an 1878 for about $600, made in China; Taylors has one made by CZ for about $900.

Is the Taylors worth the extra $300? Am I overlooking another choice for a hammered double?

Even better - get a used TTN or Cimarron 1878. They are fairly frequently showing up in auctions sites, the Classifieds, or even some LGS.

$450-500 will probably get you one that is already smooth and light and has smoothed chambers for easy shucking.

For me, for a gun to be shot hard, nope, wouldn't find anything to draw me to the Pakistani made (OK then, Turkey built :wacko: )Taylor's double over a Chinese double.

Good luck, GJ

Thanks John Barleycorn, and congratulations on your expected little one. Would you happen to have one in stock? Could not tell from your website.

Thanks for the advise Chance, rehab has been going very well. I had not expected to be able to play with my guns till late July from what the surgeon told me before he fixed the tendon. Then Friday he says I am way ahead of where he expected, and to go ahead and start to shoot, just listen to what my elbow tells me. I had been toying with getting a good hammered double, but was not sure. Now it looks like the best way to get back in the game easier.

Garrison Joe, I will check out the classifieds here. Nothing at lgs, or Gun Broker right now. Lgs has a CZ right now and wants to sell for Taylors price, he was telling me it is Turkish made and best gun out there. However he is not a cowboy shooter so I came here for advise.

Looks to me the Taylor Coach gun with external rebounding hammers has a tang safety also. Someone here may know for sure. I shoot a TTN, no tang safety, the rebound hammers being down make it safe. Also no checkering on the wrist.

I recently bought the CZ-USA from Buds Gunshop via long distance. They have them in stock according to their website.

Fit and finish top notch. Color case and engraving beautiful.

The opening and closing stiff at first. I exercised it some and it got much easier. I did replace the latch lever spring with one with far less strength. The latch closing was smooth enough that the light spring still returns the lever. I've shot it a couple of hundred times and it opens and drops open smoothly. I've not polished anything.

The chambers are already polished. I can even shuck hulls out of this gun. Dock Hurd shot it and shucked shells just fine.

The hammers are light enough to set both at once by sweeping them back with weak hand. They are spaced a little too far apart to hook easily with strong hand thumb.

The safety is a dumb feature but does not automatically set to safe so just forget that it's there.

Some disappointments.

The wood on mine is rather plain and light in color for walnut. I saw one at a gun show with much darker wood with some figure that I wish I'd bought. The checkering is not the pattern pictured. It's some teardrop modern looking and I'm betting burned in by laser because it's perfect and black. It's also "flat top" checkering, not pointed top diamond. The checkering pictured is a simple classic design and under close examination, you can spot a few flaws.

CZ-USA%20hammer%20coach%20gun%20April%20

With all the beautiful metal work, the lever latch thumb area is not checkered. I have up close to a dozen doubles and all have checkering on latch lever. It was a problem with the strong return spring - not so much with light spring.

The screws are all timed perfectly and engraved - except they used Phillips head screws on the buttplate! That's dumb. Also the screw slots are extremely nerrow. The gun pretty much needs a dedicated set of European gunsmith screwdrivers.

Contact Johnny Meadows about a race ready TTN. You can't go wrong.

Barry Sloe

Contact Johnny Meadows about a race ready TTN. You can't go wrong.

Barry Sloe

+1

Hey Tracker, I'll throw in my .02 cents for a Coyote Cap IAC '99! Mine was opened up to 11 gauge and funneled, polished, and done up right for around $400. The only thing its lacking is checkering! Next one will be a TTN, but that will be down the road!

Archived