SASS Wire Forum

Pietta 1860 Army Snub Nose 3"; Pietta 1851 Navy US Marshall .44; Pietta 1851 Navy Capt Schaeffer .36 3.5"; Yee Haw!

Del Rio Pete

TL:

Coffinmaker made 'em

They are pretty cool

All my snubbies are 1860s

I'll try to get pics on Saturday.

Del Rio Pete:

Glad you got the wedge out -- a punch usually does a good job.

It will loosen up over time.

I'll try to get pics of my marshals up tonight.

--Dawg

Coffinmaker made 'em, did he cut down a pair of Marshals barrels to get what you needed???

TL

1860's only way to go...Fit the hand better...But 1851s can get an Army grip and have on mine...

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

TL:

Yep, since I turned him on to snubbies, we now call him "Hacksaw" Coffinmaker.

No barrel is too short for him now!

Yep, he cut those beautiful engraved barrels.

But the result looks really nice!

I'll get pics if I can.

--Dawg

TL:

Yep, since I turned him on to snubbies, we now call him "Hacksaw" Coffinmaker.

No barrel is too short for him now!

Yep, he cut those beautiful engraved barrels.

But the result looks really nice!

I'll get pics if I can.

--Dawg

I will wait for the pictures...Kinda like to see these things...

TL

Here's the snubbies that are Coffinmaker's pride & joy.

Seeing him shoot them Cap-Gun-GunFighter made Raging Thunder want to start shooting cap guns!

Enjoy a photo of these beauties.

--Dawg

Marshal_Snubbies.jpg

Yep, WOW

"Hacksaw" Coffinmaker is a master.

Me.......I just shoot the boring stock versions.

Coffinmaker did put his Cap Rakes in them though

--Dawg

Marshals.JPG

• 1 month later...

Still waiting on my Pietta 1851 Polished Steel Engraved Navy US Marshall .44 from Taylors.

They said it might take a long time to get them, which is OK.

This thread had a lot of good info, so wanted to keep it alive.

I especially like looking at the picture of Coffinmaker's snubbies.

Edited by Del Rio Pete

img_2114.jpg_thumbnail0.jpg

Made to Title but not the post ... Colt 51 Navy US Marshal. Like them so much, haven't used the '58 NMA's in years!

Want a pair, $500! http://www.checkpointcharlies.com/ecommerce/handguns/antique-handguns/f.lli-pietta-colt-1851-navy-u.s.marshall-.44,-fully-engraved.html

Edited by John Boy

I think they come that way on all the 1851 US Marshalls.

Taylor's sells them by special order, but I don't think they have them on their website.

I saw them at EOT at the Taylor booth and the Pietta booth.

I thought the US Marshall version was the prettiest (affordable) one I had ever seen, until I saw the picture of Coffinmaker's.

I lost my website a while back but did stumble across this link that will show my converted Marshalls. If one reads the narratives it will be obvious that the work and the pictures are being seen ahead of my receiving the guns. Never loaded them with anything but APP under a 160gr bullet stuffed into C45Sp brass. I made a fancy pair of black fringed holsters to go with them BUT alas, someone wanted the leather worse than I. so the guns are naked again. http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php/topic,47878.0.html

Edited by Slowhand Bob, 24229

Are these the ones you wanted pics of Pete?

Hoof Hearted did these.

They sure are super!

You can see more at his Website:

http://cartridgeconversion.com/

hh-1.jpg

Put Lanyard Rings on my main match snubbies, thanks to my good friend Wolfgang.

Look nice, don't they......................

Tuco would want them longer, but then, he didn't use a holster!

Just in case you didn't see my other post :D

--Dawg

snubLan_2.jpg

snubLan_1.jpg

Edited by Prairie Dawg, SASS #50329

Dawg,

Ok. I'm curious now.

Why do you like lanyards?

How do you use them?

Wrap your wrist or hand or thumb?

Carry four guns and let two hang when you shoot the other two?

Use when riding horses?

They are just for show.

My hero is Tuco.

He had a long laynard on his and kept it around his neck

Obviously, that won't work for SASS, so I just have short lanyards on mine, cuz I like the looks.

You can see it hanging down in the image below.

GunFighter with Cap Gun Snubbies -- The most fun you can have in this game

--Dawg

angels3.jpg

Dawg or others,

What is your opinion of the brass frame Pietta?

The one below is on sale for $149.99 new.

I've heard that they turn into mantelpieces quickly.

Seems like the barrel and cylinder could be used as spares, if the frame was no longer useful.

Shown: Model 1851 Confederate Navy Revolver

A compact version of the 1851 Confederate Navy revolver

Ideal for reenactments and fast-draw competition

Blued 4-7/8" octagonal barrel

Eye-catching walnut grips

Brass trigger guard

The Pietta Model 1851 Confederate Navy .44-Caliber Black Powder Revolver, patterned after the original, is constructed with a brass frame to conserve the South's limited supply of steel. It features a blued 4.875 octagonal barrel, blued cylinder, walnut grips and brass trigger guard. Spare cylinder (sold separately) provides quick reloads. The 4.875" barrel makes it easier to holster and handle.

Barrel length: 4.875.

OAL: 11.25.

Wt: 2.44 lbs.

Edited by Del Rio Pete

Brass-framed revolvers are fine as long as you leave the loads mild.

I would stay with 15 grains FFFg for 36, and 17-20 grains FFFg for 44.

What you have to realize is that every time the ball hits the forcing cone on the barrel, it tugs on the arbor.

With a steel-frame gun, the tug is resisted pretty well for a long time.

With a brass frame gun, it tends to loosen up the arbor if the loads are heavy, and the gun "shoots loose", which means the fit between the arbor and the frame is no longer a solid fit.

But, as long as you keep the loads mild, the gun should last for a good long time.

Also, conversion cylinders are not recommended for brass frames, so if yer gonna convert it, stay with steel.

But, for just a bit more, you can buy a steel framed gun that will last your shooting lifetime, so, personally, that is what I get.

You are right tho, the barrel, cylinder, internals, and gripframe are the same as the steel guns, so you do get a bunch of good parts for your $$.

Hope this helps

--Dawg

Rowdy Yates at Lee's is still doing some limited work.

Just cap guns, I think

Contact him & see what he says.

http://www.leesgunsmithing.com

Long Hunter is also doing cap gun work

http://www.longhunt.com/web/

I'm sure there are many others -- ask around at local clubs!

Ohio Cheatin' Charlie had a local smith put cap guards on a pair of guns for him.

Turns out former Ohio Frontiersman Champion Marcus Allen had been using him for years.

--Dawg

Edited by Prairie Dawg, SASS #50329

Thanks.

I had a 51 given to me.

Now, what do I have? Made in Italy. 36 caliber. Rough tooling on all flats. Looks old (as in 20-30 years old). BRass grip frame.

PSA stamped (backwards) in front of grip on frame. Proof marks are crossed sword and shiedl,"AE" in a block and "PN". Brass post front site.

The recoil shield has a curved milled out portion on the right side (capping side), from the hammer slot to the cutout where you cap.

The little triangle on the hammer face has had a small round, flat milling bit ran over it. It cups over the nipples, slightly, when hammer is down. Maybe 1/100 or less deep.

It has what appears to be an Armi San Marco, due to the grip frame lacking a "tail."

The back of the cylinder is serrated between nipples.

They seem different that the Traditions I had (and sold) about 10 years ago.

Edited by Dirty Dan Dawkins

This article should help ya figure out what you have.

http://www.dakotaskipper.net/ebay/MBPProofmarks1.pdf

Looks to have been made in 1979, "AE" date code.

--Dawg

I have two pairs of '60s that have the Manhattan conversions but have just really gotten my first good look at what I think you-alluns call the 'rake'. My Manhattan Conversions are dead on reliable but the rake looks much simpler to do. How does the rake rate against the Manhattan for dependability?

My gunsmith does the rake cuz it's easier for him with the tools he has.

If done properly, it is just as reliable.

I have 'em both, and they both work equally well

--Dawg

If you have been reading John Boy's thread about the EMF Pietta 1851 Captain Schaeffer engraved polished steel 3.5" .36 caliber, you'll see there was a buying frenzy. Rightly so.

The guns are absolutely beautiful.

The lucky buyers posted pictures of the guns they started receiving yesterday.

I hope some pictures will be posted here so we can have pictures of several C&B models all on one thread.

Even though the 1851 Capt Schaeffer's are probably the most beautiful affordable guns available on an apparent secret list, I still think the 1851 US Marshal snubbies built by Coffinmaker are still the winner for most beautiful artistic work.

See Dawg's post# 39 of pics above.

P.S. EMF has sold ALL the 1851 Capt Schaeffer guns as of this morning.

Now, that is the way to run a business...everything sold immediately or before they even received the shipment from Pietta.

Edited by Del Rio Pete

The following was from the Rock Island Auction for an apparent original gun.

Thought this might add to the history of the EMF Pietta EMF replica.

"Estimated Price: $9,500-$20,000"

"A unique piece, this is a late 3rd Model Navy revolver, factory outfitted with a short barrel and factory engraved by Gustave Young, circa 1856. Cone front and hammer groove rear sights, with the one line New York City address on the top flat of the barrel, Ormsby's "Texas Navy" scene on the cylinder, and "COLTS/ PATENT" on the left side of the frame. The loading lever is properly shortened, terminating just before the end of the barrel. Engraving on the barrel, loading lever and frame is near full coverage punch dot backed scrollwork, with floral accents, a dog's head on the left side of the barrel immediately above the loading lever screw, and Young's signature wolf head motif on the sides of the hammer. Additional scroll engraving is present on the trigger guard and backstrap, with a bordered panel on the backstrap suitable for inscription and a silver plate added to the butt, covering and protecting the grips, with "Sime" signed in the center. "Sime" has not been identified at this time. Grips are smooth one piece ivory, with the inscriptions "Wm J . Whitney" on the left side of the butt and "Capt. F. B. Schaeffer" on the right side. Military records show a Captain F.B. Schaeffer as a veteran of the Mexican American War, as well as Captain of the Marion Rifles, a California Volunteer Division active from 1852 until 1861, when the unit was disbanded. These inscriptions are covered by aforementioned silver plate. Matching numbers are present on the barrel, frame, trigger guard and cylinder, with an apostrophe next to the barrel, frame and trigger guard numbers, the factory earmark for a revolver to be engraved and fitted with an ivory grip. Included with the revolver is a half flap/open bottom holster that appears to have been made specifically for this pistol, constructed from medium russet skirting leather with glove leather lining and decorated in hand-sewn Mexican style foliate embroidery. The holster has a belt loop reinforced by a single copper rivet and a brass finial on the body to secure the flap.

Condition: Very good, showing a medium grey patina on the steel components, with deep and crisp engraving and 90% of the original Texas Navy scene. The cylinder and percussion nipples have light-moderate flash pitting and the safety pins are battered. Nearly half of the original silver plated finish remains, with a dark patina overall and aged brass most visible on the underside of the guard and the backstrap towards the bottom. The silver plate on the butt has scattered light scratches and the inscription is faint. Grips are excellent, with some minor chips and attractive grain and color. The holster is fine, with some scattered edge wear, some flexing on the top of the flap, loss of the liner, tight stitching and solid embroidery. This is an outstanding example of a pre-Civil War deluxe Gustave Young engraved Colt Model 1851 Navy Revolver with California Military associations."

http://www.rockislandauction.com/viewitem/aid/51/lid/1324

Edited by Del Rio Pete

Yee Haw!!!

Just received my Pietta 1851 Navy US Marshall .44 Engraved Polished Steel 4 7/8" Octagonal Barrel from Taylor's & Co. that I ordered at EOT.

Absolutely beautiful.

See previous posts above to see what it looks like. #41 Dawg; #43 John Boy

Congratulations. It's a beautiful gun indeed. I had one briefly. I don't regret letting it go, as it went to a great pard for a good cause, but it sure is a purdy indeed.