SASS Wire Forum

Pietta 1860 Army Snub Nose 3"; Pietta 1851 Navy US Marshall .44; Pietta 1851 Navy Capt Schaeffer .36 3.5"; Yee Haw!

Del Rio Pete

Just got email from Midway.

This sure catches my eye and looks like it would be a blast to shoot.

What's it like shooting one?

Anyone have one of these?

If not, what is your favorite short barrel BP to shoot?

M

Pietta 1860 Army Snub Nose Steel Frame Black Powder Revolver with Checkered Thunderer Grips 3" Barrel Blue

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/1972136266/pietta-1860-army-snub-nose-steel-frame-black-powder-revolver-with-checkered-thunderer-grips-3-barrel-blue

Edited by Del Rio Pete

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of the reviews said they used a .22 conversion barrel and it got a lot of attention.

That sounds fun, but don't the conversion cylinders cost as much as the gun?

I have never tried BP cap guns & I'm not sure I am patient enough to shoot them.

What is your experience?

An "out of the box" Cap Gun will not make you "happy." They require some action work, a change of nipples (SlixShot) and some form

of either "Cap Guards" or a "Cap Rake (Pin)"

Coffinmaker

It's all Greek to me, but I watched 3 You Tube videos and I like them even more.

I'll start studying more about Black Powder. Sounds like a powerful addictive drug to me.

Perhaps I'll find someone that has one & get to shoot it.

What conversion cylinder would be best?

Isn't this a great sport?

I have a pair of cap and ball Pietta Colts that have been converted to cartridge with the Kirst system but t is somewhat a one way deal after cutting the frame. Thinking about trying it again one day with cylinders that allow you to swap back and forth between c&b or cartridge.

Thanks for all the ideas and comments.

I notice Taylor's has it in .36 & .44.

Which would you recommend and why?

I watched all the videos again several times.

I really really like the look of this Thunderer model

The more historically correct 1860 regular grip does not have the same attraction for me.

I have about ten of them, some factory made & some cut-n-crowned.

All my serious match guns have cap guards by Rowdy Yates or cap rakes by Coffinmaker

Most have plow-handle grips, but some have Thunderer or Birdshead grips

I love 'em all.

They're my favorites for Cap-Gun Gunfighter!

--Dawg

angels3.jpg

snubbies.jpg

I have the Traditions version-same gun, just a rounded birdshead grip. Already had a Pietta 45 cal. conversion cylinder, so in it went. Neat little gun, and fairly accurate. I did have to shorten 45 Colt brass a little, so now I have some genuine 45 Short Colt ammo. Says so right on the box I made.

Thanks for all the ideas and comments.

I notice Taylor's has it in .36 & .44.

Which would you recommend and why?

I watched all the videos again several times.

I really really like the look of this Thunderer model

The more historically correct 1860 regular grip does not have the same attraction for me.

Personally, I would get the .44 because I have about 1000 balls on hand to feed my Remingtons and I buy powder in bulk, so why not have fun? :P If you're on a budget, .36 will save you money on lead and powder. Also, if you're an older shooter, you'll find .36 to be a wee bit easier on the wrists (not that any of the CB revolvers are that hard on you anyway).

Also, the .44 is perfect for a .45 Colt conversion cylinder, whereas to use the .36 with a .38 Spcl conversion cylinder will require dealing with the .358 bullet going down a .370-ish bore situation.

I have about ten of them, some factory made & some cut-n-crowned.

All my serious match guns have cap guards by Rowdy Yates or cap rakes by Coffinmaker

Most have plow-handle grips, but some have Thunderer or Birdshead grips

I love 'em all.

They're my favorites for Cap-Gun Gunfighter!

--Dawg

angels3.jpg

snubbies.jpg

Forgive my ignorance, what are cap guards?

BD

Edited by Buckshot Dobbs

Buckshot,

"Cap Guards" are special steel plates that are added to the recoil shield. The center is milled out to a slot and the hammer nose is

mill down to fit thru the slot. The slot is small enough, caps will not be pulled off the nipples and back into the hammer channel or

action, causing .......... distress. A recess in the recoil shield must also be mill'd to allow addition of the Cap Guard.

Coffinmaker

PS: Shooting Gunfighter with Cap Guns makes either Cap Guards or Cap Rakes a "must have" option.

An "out of the box" Cap Gun will not make you "happy." They require some action work, a change of nipples (SlixShot) and some form

of either "Cap Guards" or a "Cap Rake (Pin)"

Coffinmaker

s

Coffinmaker,

I looked up SlixShot Black Powder Nipples for the Pietta.

One website said they won't work on Pocket Pistols.

Will they work on this Pietta 1860 Army 3" Snub Nose? Do they fit without modifications or special tools?

It also says to use a non-sieze lubricant. What do you use?

How much does it cost for you to add cap guards?

http://www.badmanbullets.com/OnlineStore/proddetail.php?prod=SliXshot-Black-Powder-Nipples

Thanks

The 1860 army snubnose is a full size revolver with a short 3" barrel.

Slix nipples for pietta fit it perfectly.

I use some anti-seize on mine, but have used bore butter, RIG, and other greases in the past.

Capguards:

capguard_1.jpg

--Dawg

Edited by Prairie Dawg, SASS #50329

Dawg,

You are always so helpful.

The pictures make things clearer.

I suppose you'll be at EOT?

I'm sure you'll have all your adoring fans around you, but hopefully I'll get to meet you, see some of your toys, and see you shoot.

I especially want to see you clean and reload before stages.

Now, why am I asking so many questions?

Well, guess who has one of these 3" Pietta's coming by UPS this week?

More questions to surely follow...

The 1860 army snubnose is a full size revolver with a short 3" barrel.

Slix nipples for pietta fit it perfectly.

I use some anti-seize on mine, but have used bore butter, RIG, and other greases in the past.

Capguards:

capguard_1.jpg

--Dawg

So, how do most people load these things at a match? Take the barrel off and tower of power,or that silly rod thing they come with, or what? Lol

BD

Good Evening Del Rio Pete:

Nope, I'll miss EOT.

Right now I'm out West visiting my son.

We just bought a motorhome & plan to travel to more distance shoots (We live in Ohio)

But my wife is still working (One more year!), so not much until next year.

Hey Buckshot:

I take 'em apart & use a Powder Inc cylinder loader (Similar to the Tower of Power)

I wipe fouling off the cylinder face, arbor, and water table at the end of every stage, while I'm loading.

I watch the unloading table & it only takes about three shooters to get the guns ready to go for the next stage.

If the gun stiffens up, I spray some WD-40 on the arbor when I've got the cylinder off for loading.

This works well for me.

--Dawg

Edited by Prairie Dawg, SASS #50329

I also shoot Snubbies as my primary match guns. My routine is pretty much the same as Prairie Dawg (Learned it from him) althoughI do use the infamous Tower of Power. I have never been able to post pictures on the wire (Tech Dummy) but all of my gins are equipped with "Cap Rakes" (a post) in the hammer channel to prevent caps from coming back into the works. Shooting Gunfighter I can't afford to have a gun lock up mid-stage.

By wiping down the cylinder face, breach face of the barrel, arbor and water table after every stage, guns run quick and smooth throughout a match, regardless of the number of stages. The wipe down only takes a couple of seconds. Not really enough time to spit at. Reloading at the unloading table (if Dawg isn't already there) only take a couple or three shooters and I'm ready to go again.

Very important to have correct barrel to arbor fit and the wedge fit so you can push it out with yer thumb.

Coffinmaker

PS: Forgot the OP Question. Snubbies are maximum FUN!! Typical Cap Gun, manageable recoil, lotta BOOM

and Smoke. Way KOOL!!

Edited by Colorado Coffinmaker

YeeHaw!

I just got my 2nd Father's Day/Birthday/Christmas present today.

The Pietta 1860 Army Snub Nose 3" is absolutely beautiful!

I think it is the prettiest gun I own.

I guess I'm hooked.

Looks too pretty to shoot, but I guess I'll get past that.

Now all my questions will really start.

This is my first Cap & Ball.

Thanks for all your comments and help.

What a great sport!

Question: There is a wedge screw above the wedge. Since you say the wedge should push out with your thumb, does that mean you normally leave the wedge screw out?

Edited by Del Rio Pete

Congrats on your newest toy.

Nope, screw stays in. It is to keep you from pushing the wedge out of the gun and losing it. The wedge is retained when the lip on the wedge spring catches on the rim of the screw head.

It is out enuf to remove the barrel, but not enuf to drop out of the gun.

Yours will probably be very tight & may need to be tapped out with a brass hammer or screwdriver handle the first few times.

Replace the nipples with Treso (#11-50-106 [sixpack]) or Slix nipples for Pietta. I've not tried Track of the Wolf stainless nipples, but have heard that they are good.

Yule need a good nipple wrench (I recommend a Ted Cash Ratcheting nipple wrench 18-1124 (http://possibleshop.com/s-s-nipple-wrench.html)

Be sure to use anti-seize or grease on the nipple threads

Get yourself some Remington #10 caps & .451 or .454 balls (All mine shoot a bit better with .451)

I load on a Powder Inc cylinder loader. Coffinmaker loads on a Dick Dastardly Tower of Power (http://www.biglube.com/BulletMolds.aspx?ItemID=1302742a-9e12-41e5-881f-f99340c6d9e6)

Both are similar. I've had mine for many years, before Dick Dastardly started making his. But they are the best cylinder loaders being made, are a lifetime purchase, and will always hold their value)

Easy load is 20 grains FFFg, some cornmeal up to around 1/4" from the chamber top, and a .451 roundball seated firmly.

Cover the tops with some grease -- (I use 60% toilet seal wax mixed with 40% crisco. The 60/40 is soft enough on cold days to poke into the cylinder holes and doesn't run on hot days. Recipe courtesy of Carlos El Hombre) I put mine on with a stiff-bladed putty knife.

I pick the nipples with a T/C nipple pick (http://www.midwayusa.com/product/187442/thompson-center-in-line-nipple-pick) This pick is a great item. Some folks don't pick their nipples, but I think it is an essential part of the loading routine.

If you prefer not to use cornmeal & grease, I recommend the powder, then a lubed wad, then the ball. Easy-peasy.

Bag of 1000 sagebrush lubed wads -- http://www.sageoutfitters.com/catalog/item/7230243/7463802.htm

This looks/sound way more complicated than it really is.

It's easy to do, once you establish a routine, and goes quickly -- 3 shooters while watching the unloading table.

Have fun -- Hope to shoot with you one day.

--Dawg

• 3 weeks later...

Dawg,

I got most of the things you suggested, except a Powder Inc or Tower of Power Loader.

Al Overa let me buy some GOEX fffg from his personal stash. I couldn't find any locally.

I did order a Pietta 1851 Navy US Marshall Polished-Steel, 4 3/4", .44 Cal, Yank Cap & Ball from Taylor's at EOT's special pricing.

Then, I'll have two C&B's to play with.

I also picked up a 3/32" Brass Punch today from WW Graingers and bought a Wedge Removal Tool from Taylor's.

Will tackle removing the stuck wedge on the 1860 Army Snub Nose later today.

I appreciate your encouragement and help.

I'd post a picture of the 1851 Navy US Marshall, if I could.

Edited by Del Rio Pete

Hey Del Rio Pete:

Yep, those US Marshals are the nicest cap guns currently being made.

I have 4 of them

Coffinmaker made a neat set of snubbie gunfighters out of a pair of them.

Sounds like yer on yer way,

Watch out -- They're more addictive than drugs!

Have fun

--Dawg

Hey Del Rio Pete:

Yep, those US Marshals are the nicest cap guns currently being made.

I have 4 of them

Coffinmaker made a neat set of snubbie gunfighters out of a pair of them.

Sounds like yer on yer way,

Watch out -- They're more addictive than drugs!

Have fun

--Dawg

Am I reading right...You made a pair of snubbies out of them Marshals...

TL

Dawg or Coffinmaker,

Could you post some pics of the 1851 Navy US Marshall so viewers will know what they look like?

Thanks

P.S. I was able to get the wedge out of the 1860 Army Snub Nose with a light tap of a 3/32" brass punch.

The Wedge Remover Tool I bought from Taylor's looks like a small hammer claw with nipple remover & tiny hammer on the other end. It worked, but not as well as the brass punch.

I also was able to remove the old nipples and install the Slix-Shot Nipples with anti-seize grease.

Felt good to finally get that done.

TL:

Coffinmaker made 'em

They are pretty cool

All my snubbies are 1860s

I'll try to get pics on Saturday.

Del Rio Pete:

Glad you got the wedge out -- a punch usually does a good job.

It will loosen up over time.

I'll try to get pics of my marshals up tonight.

--Dawg