SASS Wire Forum

Looking for details on slick's no drop in bite trigger.

Doc Coles SASS 1188

I have been looking around at 1873 winchester parts and came across the slick's no bite drop in trigger. It claims to solve the "dreaded 1873 trigger bite." Leaving aside the fact that I have been shooting an 1873 in sass for more than 25 years with out encountering this problem. I was wondering if anyone who has one of these can tell me how it works.

Based on the description, it has a spring between the trigger and the sear that takes up the play between the two parts. I just can't figure out how that works, what it would do to improve the trigger pull or operation and how this would fix the "dreaded 1873 trigger bite."

I do understand that it is made of better steel than the factory one (I wore one out on one my 1873s, but it took more than 20 years). It is also supposed to be a bit more rounded, which could be nice.

To be clear, I am not putting it down, I am just trying to understand what it does and how well it works.

Not a bad plan but I would like to hear the opinion of some folks that paid their money for it as well as the guy who is trying to sell them. As we all know, there can be differences of opinion between these two groups.

Not a bad plan but I would like to hear the opinion of some folks that paid their money for it as well as the guy who is trying to sell them. As we all know, there can be differences of opinion between these two groups.

I do understand for sure. But just so you know, there is a wagon train load of cowboys out there that will tell you that he is top-shelf. I would confidently take his word. If there is a hiccup he will make it right in a heartbeat. ;)

Enjoy shootin in Alaska Doc! :D

Contrary to the heading, it is a drop in trigger modification and it does not bite. I have them in both my '73s and I would never go back to the original triggers.

Good evening guys and I'll be glad to answer your question.

The "trigger bite" comes from the trigger moving in a forward to back motion as the rifle is being levered hard. By hard I mean at fast match speeds like most of the top shooters run. The pinch happens when the trigger flip is in the forward position when the lever is closing/closed causing a slightly narrow gap for the finger. You can take a rifle 73 or Marlin and lever the rifle with out your finger in the trigger guard and visibly see the trigger moving. One way to help prevent this is to take the movement out of the trigger. We have done this by simply machineing our trigger and sear with a small rebound spring positioned between the two. The upper and lower seat are held together by a small roll pin (new design) which fits slightly inside of your new "no bite" system. When installing the new system you simply hold it in place using your factory trigger pin as a slave pin to drive out the roll pin. This is also a good way to make all your match and backup rifle trigger pulls to feel the same. The "No Bite" trigger system might not be for everyone and we stand behind all our products 100% . I can personally assure you myself and my family personally use every product we manufactor sell. All of our products are made right here in the USA by a shooter for a shooter. Please feel free to call/email if I can help you in any way, all my info can be found on my website at www.slickmagicguns.com

Your Pal,

Slick

Archived