SASS Wire Forum

Any Good Cowboy Shops in Wichita Falls, Texas?

Brazos John

We'll be heading North to Sheppard AFB to pick up our Airman, after he graduates from tech school. He's heading way yonder afterwards, but I don't want to ruffle any Security feathers, so I won't say where.

I've never been to Wichita Falls, Texas, so I'm looking for some recommendations on food and cowboy/gun shops.

Are there any Don't Miss shops? Or, is there anything I don't even know about that I don't want to miss?

Driving from North of Houston, Wednesday To Friday. Wish I could stay to shoot with y'all, but the Airman wants to get home.

Thanks for the advice,

Brazos John

God Bless Texas, and God Bless Our Troops!

I remember finding a rather large gunshop in what I would say was the older part of downtown. There were lots of older guns, both for sale and displayed on the walls. Sorry, I don't recall the name. It was in the south east area of thedowntown and I recall it having bee there since the forties? Anyway,half storeand half museum sort of feel.

I grew up in WF, parents still call it home. No Cowboy Action clubs or shops that I know of. Wish somebody would start something up there for when I'm in town to visit.......

Very good club just over the red, maybe 30 miles from WF. Been at it a long time, too. http://www.rgose.com/

I pass thru WF 2-3 times a month... If you like greasy-spoon BBQ, there' a place about 9 miles south on the northbound side of US287 in Jolly that'll make up in volume what they lack in quality. There're probably better places to eat in WF, but they lack parking for tractor-trailers! Have patience going thru Ft Worth, construction on 287/I35W can make traffic nearly unbearable. I'm headed to Houston from there tomorrow! Stay on your side of the road! :P Be safe, not all the crazy drivers are in Houston you know! :o

Well, seeing as I live in Wichita Falls, I guess I should chime in.

We'll be heading North to Sheppard AFB to pick up our Airman, after he graduates from tech school. He's heading way yonder afterwards, but I don't want to ruffle any Security feathers, so I won't say where.

I've never been to Wichita Falls, Texas, so I'm looking for some recommendations on food and cowboy/gun shops.

Are there any Don't Miss shops? Or, is there anything I don't even know about that I don't want to miss?

Driving from North of Houston, Wednesday To Friday. Wish I could stay to shoot with y'all, but the Airman wants to get home.

Thanks for the advice,

Brazos John

God Bless Texas, and God Bless Our Troops!

If you want BBQ, Branding Iron, it's on the corner of Kell and Scott. It looks like a dive but it's good. Bring cash they don't take plastic.

If you want Mexican, Casa Manana. Downtown 8th street between Indiana and Ohio. Get the Red Tacos! Next to the Iron Horse Pub and down the street from Big Blue. You'll see a big blue building. That'll be 8th street. Look for the green building. Go a bit further and you've reached Casa Manana. I don't know how to move the ~ over the n's....

Hwy Cafe has great catfish. On Jacksboro hwy. Near the car lots. I can't remember the name of the nearest intersection.

The best Chicken Fried Steak is found in Burkburnett at The Feed Lot.

Other than that there's not much that is special.

No cowboy shops as far as gun shops. There's the Browse Shop and Huskey Hat company for clothing and horse tack.

Gun shops, we have a few. I like the guys at Texas knifeworks and guns. K-mart drive and Southwest parkway.

Gunco on Central Freeway is good. They carry more reloading supplies. Bit interesting to get to.

Those are about the only gun shops I go to.

I can't think of any can't miss shops. This place is a bit of a hole. If it wasn't for SAFB then this town would have died long ago.

I remember finding a rather large gunshop in what I would say was the older part of downtown. There were lots of older guns, both for sale and displayed on the walls. Sorry, I don't recall the name. It was in the south east area of thedowntown and I recall it having bee there since the forties? Anyway,half storeand half museum sort of feel.

That was probably Defore's. They closed down. The roof collapsed and they closed their doors. They were wanting to retire anyways. They actually live just down the street from me. I can't tell you how many guns I've bought from them. All of my cowboy guns, several hunting rifles and shotguns.

Very good club just over the red, maybe 30 miles from WF. Been at it a long time, too. http://www.rgose.com/

Shortgrass Rangers! Yeah, we have a shoot the first Saturday and third sunday of the month. You're more than welcome to come and visit. You'd be more welcome if you came to shoot.

I pass thru WF 2-3 times a month... If you greasy-spoon BBQ, there' a place about 9 miles south on the northbound side of US287 in Jolly that'll make up in volume what they lack in quality. There're probably better places to eat in WF, but they lack parking for tractor-trailers! Have patience going thru Ft Worth, construction on 287/I35W can make traffic nearly unbearable. I'm headed to Houston from there tomorrow! Stay on your side of the road! :P Be safe, not all the crazy drivers are in Houston you know! :o

Yeah crazy drivers..... <_< <_< . felt like shooting one the other day....

So the weather's kinda iffy right now. Bring an umbrella and make sure your insurance is payed.

If you need a hotel the Holiday Inn on Hwy 82 (Kell) is nice. Avoid Maurine St. or anything near it, rooms are cheap and some are rented by the hour...not that I've ever been there...

Thanks Goody for the link to the Shortgrass Rangers. Those guys are having a blast and it comes across on the site.They have the White Squirrel award for clean shooters and the Black Squirrel award for the biggest trainwrecks...lol...what a hoot...Sounds like a fun group..Jim

Yep. Defore's was the place!

And as for the Shortgrass Rangers, I think even Lone Dog would like shooting there! Wink, wink, nudge, nudge, know what I mean?

Thanks for the replies. Lots of good ideas.

We're leaving shortly, so wish us luck.

See y'all down the trail,

Brazos John

Oh, if you like tamales the best tamales come from the place under the bridge. I can't remember what it's called but it's on Bluff street downtown near the courthouse.

Archived