SASS Wire Forum

Pistol Technique

Nahiossi

It has been a long time but everything is coming together for me. I have all my firearms in working condition and my gunleather fits me and my guns. I have a basic set of cowboy duds and this weekend just passed, I was able to make up dummy rounds for the riflfle and shotgun. I have a few weeks before my first club match (just a social shoot) so I have started practicing my draws, transitions and shotgun reloading techniques in the shed

One question I have is regarding moving from my strong hand to week hand pistol when shooting two handed. The videos on Youtube have the shooter drawing and then moving the firearm to their strong hand. I tried this but found it more comfortable to draw the pistol and keep it in my left hand and using my strong hand to cock the hammer. The reason for this, I think, is that when I shoot in Serivce Pistol matches, I am required to shoot some of the strings left handed so this is what I am somewhat used to.

So my question is, is this a legal method of shooting? The SHB doesn't mention anything specifically but then again I haven't seen any videos where a pard shoots the same way I do (though they are all faster and smoother than me!)

Absolutely legal and done by shooters at all levels, though not as popular as transitioning the weakside gun to the strong hand.

I (a very average shooter) tried this method. The extra time required to hit targets with my weak hand was greater than the time saved in elimnating the transition. This is one of those factors that will vary by shooters.

No problem holding pistol but my problem was aim eye. Dominate eye ,left, forced to close when shooting right hand or lay head over sideways. Too many misses therefore went to transfer

Thanks for the input everyone! I'm glad to hear that there are others out there that shoot like this already. Long term, my plan is to get used to shooting two handed and then move into the realm of black powder in 44-40 and shoot Frontier Cartridge in double duelist or gunfighter style (or maybe classic cowboy).

I shot double duelist for awhile until a couple of gunfighters said I could double my fun by having BOTH pistols out at the same time. And, by golly, they were right!

Thanks for the input everyone! I'm glad to hear that there are others out there that shoot like this already. Long term, my plan is to get used to shooting two handed and then move into the realm of black powder in 44-40 and shoot Frontier Cartridge in double duelist or gunfighter style (or maybe classic cowboy).

THIS will be the most fun you can have with your clothes on! You'll never go back

CR

Archived