SASS Wire Forum

Sorry! Revisiting Breaking the 170 rule..

Rance - SASS # 54090

At a match today we had a stage that had a lot of traveling from doorway to window to another window and back..

we had a porch boardwalk to navigate along to the different stations..

When the RO was explaining the stage he told all posse members and spotters to stay off the

boardwalk and behind the support poles holding up the roof..

We and They all did so through the whole line up of shooters for the stage,,

The RO stated that if anyone invaded the shooters 170 it would give the shooter a SDQ..

This has been discussed and I don't remember the ruling..

Rance ;)

Thinkin' the guy that broke the shooters 170 should get the SDQ..

But hey... I've been wrong before.. :wacko:

Maybe again... ​

If a spotter, T/O, photographer, or anyone else steps into the shooter's 170 during stage engagement, the shooter is NOT responsible.

The RO in the OP is mistaken.

T/O should call a "CEASE FIRE", make the range safe & restart the shooter...with warning to others to KEEP OUT! of the danger zone

Hey Rance

The 170 is to the firing line

So if someone other then the shooter goes in front of the firing line, the t.o or anyone else that sees an unsafe situation

Should call for a ceasefire

Then the shooter would get a reshoot

And not a sdq

On the stage you guys or others are shooting it's just common courtesy to stay back, maybe the shooter has to move and he get 169 with the shotgun

If everyone is back it's easier on the t.o

If everyone is crowding a 160+ might get you a sdq

Sorry we missed the shoot this year

Billy the Avenger

I was the RO for that stage, and the language I used was to demonstrate that normal spotting positions on that stage, with that scenario, could place a spotter or spectator in a position of danger. With the shooter moving sideways the length of the boardwalk to shoot the pistols, there was a high probability that they would be moving with guns drawn. The usual spotting positions would potentially place spotters in a place that would make it difficult for the shooter to complete the stage with the freedom to legally move. In making my point, I probably over stated the case - just trying to impress on the posse the importance of leaving an area clear that we normally don't think about. Besides the safety issue, there is the distraction potential for the shooter.

The stage ran smoothly, so I guess I made my point.

BTW - we raised over $12,000 for St Jude's! Thank you TA Spurs and Shamrock Sis for keeping this alive.

CR

Archived