SASS Wire Forum

New Pietta Replica - Captain Schaeffer's 1851 Navy Colt

John Boy

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Best Hurry there, John Boy. I already have my name deeply engraved on the "Call Immediately" list at EMF. I have every hope to snag a pair before they even get inventoried.

I wouldn't count on "Stainless" however. I'm betting it's the same polished and heat treated steel as the Pietta

Marshal. I would not however, complain at all if they do arrive "Stainless."

Coffinmaker

Edited by Colorado Coffinmaker

Coffinmaker - I too would be on the early list BUT ... in NJ, I have to obtain 2 permits 1st to buy BP cap & ball revolvers! Then they have to be shipped to an FFL!

Is that picture the original or the replica? Certainly they can't make the grips look that good on the replica????

That pic is the original. The engraving on the replica is different, at least going by pictures in the final issue of GOTOW. The replica is still a gorgeous revolver.

If stainless, I really like it. Rammer does look functionless. Perfect for a conversion revolver with a Krist converter?

I had a thought...if a man had a small mallet...would the rammer work then?

Edited by Carolina Gunslinger

Actually, the rammer isn't intended to be functional. The plan is to use a cylinder loading stand and load off the gun. Hitting the rammer with a small mallet would only serve to sheer off the rammer pivot screw.

John Boy, ....... I feel your pain. However, here in PA, delivered to my door.

Griff, ....... Aw Cummon. What's a silly half inch among friends ???

I've built myself, ah I think (need to look inna safe) 7 sets of Snubbies. These may well be the only set where I leave the outside of the guns unmolested. Serious action work though. Seriously good looking guns yepper!!

Coffinmaker

Edited by Colorado Coffinmaker

Griff, ....... Aw Cummon. What's a silly half inch among friends ???

Coffinmaker

Don't be surprised if I show up at a match with a pair...

Carolina Gunslinger... a Kirst Conversion? What sacrilege!

I definitely want a pair of these

Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee

Carolina,

don't laugh to hard there partner. There are a few of us (Prairie Dawg and Me anyway) who shoot Snubbie Cap Guns near every match.

Pop the wedge, drop the cylinder, wipe down, reload on a cylinder stand, reassemble. Every stage. Doesn't take long at all. Same same

when we use Howell type cartridge cylinders. So there .......... HAHAHAHAHAHAH (BURP).

Coffinmaker

Carolina Gunslinger:

What Coffinmaker said.

If the wedges are fit properly, I pop 'em out with thumb pressure, wipe down the forcing cone & water table & load on a Powder inc stand.

2-3 shooters while watching the unloading table.

Works very well.

--Dawg

Who was Captain Schaeffer?

Only thing my google fu is able to turn up is that he was some dude who was some sorta of commander in the Mexican-American War, then was involved with the Virginia 5th Brigade during the Civil War..........

First Commanding Officer of the California Militia. Prior to the Civil War. Really didn't do much. Not in "Hero" status. Currently, best

remembered for the swell Snubbie Colt custom made for him.

Coffinmaker

I have pictures somewhere of the 51 yank we had on display in the Pietta booth at SHOT show, boy did it get alot of attention.

First Commanding Officer of the California Militia. Prior to the Civil War. Really didn't do much. Not in "Hero" status. Currently, best

remembered for the swell Snubbie Colt custom made for him.

Coffinmaker

Well, Bad Hand, I guess there's our answer. If he didn't have a pretty gun we'd probably never have heard of him. :D

Angus

Aren't these only 5 shot?

What SASS category can they be used in?

Or, can you load all 5 shots for BP Cap & Ball?

Also, which loader do you prefer? Tower of Power or Powder Inc Cylinder Loader or just a plastic/wood hammer & tool?

How do you get on EMF's waiting list, if they aren't even available yet?

Are the grips the smaller Navy grips, or the Army grips?

Del Rio ......

The guns are 1851 Pattern, 6 Shot.

Can be used in ANY SASS category

Yes, you can load all five in a 5 shot cylinder

I personally prefer the Tower of Power wit travel stops added

Simply call EMF and ask to get on the list

Navy grips, the "new" pattern that mimes Colt.

Black Powder or Subs

Round Balls or EPP UG - 36

Coffinmaker

I was confusing it with the 5 shot 1849 Pocket .31 or 1863 Remington Pocket.

I've been watching so many YouTube videos and reading all I can that I'm starting to get confused.

Whatever...I like them all.

Looks like a real Cap & Ball person would have to own the 1851 Navy and the 1860 Army to start.

Possibly in different barrel lengths and calibers.

Then, of course you'd need to have some conversion guns and then the 1872 Open Top and on & on & on.

Coffinmaker, how much does it cost to add the cap guards and all your craftsmanship?

In the videos, the spent caps consistently jammed the guns, so I can understand why you suggest the modification.

I appreciate you, Dawg and others being so patient and answering our Newbie questions. I can see from past threads you've been answering the same questions for years and years. I guess your love for the sport helps you to continue being a mentor. Thanks.

• 2 months later...

Just got an email from EMF. The Schaeffer revolvers are arriving at EMF later this week. They are shipping them to customers next Tuesday (1 week from today). If you are on the pre order list you can call and place an order NOW. I just ordered myself a pair (they said you will get consecutive serial numbers). Can't wait!!

Edited by Casey Green

• 2 weeks later...