SASS Wire Forum

Uberti Henry Sideplate

I had started this discussion on the "other" CAS site - 6 years or so ago. Now that I have a partial resolution, I thought I'd put it up here for general information.

Trying for the first time to remove the sideplates on my Henry, I buggered the top edge while trying to drive it off. Despite using a plastic mallet and a cushioned brass pin punch, I managed to mess up the edge pretty well.

What I did not know was that the plates must be driven UPWARD to remove; I was trying to drive it downward. Whoops.

So started my 6 year saga of trying to get a replacement side plate. Lots of folks warned me that most of the replacements available actually came through as rough castings, and required extensive fitting and finishing. I started with Midway, and they claimed that their part was fully finished. Sounded good. I ordered one. YEARS later, after many renewals of my back order, they notified me that the part was "no longer available". As far as I could tell, it never had been available.....

Next stop - Taylor's. They too advised that their plates were "fully finished". I ordered one. I again waited for years.

But it arrived yesterday, and certainly looks fully finished!!! I have been cautioned that the proof is in the fitting - so I need a trial fit to see if it needs to be trimmed. I'm hoping for a close fit. Sunday is the day.

http://s1174.photobucket.com/user/Franco6666/IRON/COWBOY%20CARTRIDGE/RIFLE/story

LL

"What I did not know was that the plates must be driven UPWARD to remove; I was trying to drive it downward. Whoops".

Such painful sliced fingers!! :blush:

Seamus

Archived