SASS Wire Forum

1873 uberti lever play

Doc Coles SASS 1188

I bought a used 1873 Uberti a while back and have been tuning it up to replace the one I have been shooting for cas since the late 1980s. The new gun is very nice and of recent production but I noticed that there is considerable side to side play in the lever when it is fully extended (when the action is open). Much more than is present on any of the five other Uberti rifles I have.

An inspection of the parts shows no visible wear, it just appears that the hole in the lever is oversized, allowing the lever to wobble from side to side.

I see several options. I could just live with it, but it does not seem like a good idea as the play has to have some effect on the gun's operation and may lead to strange or early wear.

I could order a new factory lever but I don't want to order a new one at $95 from VTI if it's going to come with the same problem.

I could drill it out slightly, insert a bronze bushing and fit it perfectly to the lever bolt and the window in the frame, which would take out all excess movement. Probably a good solution but time consuming since I would have to borrow a lathe.

I could order one of the shortstroke kits that comes with a replacement lever (at more than $300, which seems a bit excessive).

Has anyone had this problem and if you did, how did you handle it?

I have a uberti 73 in 45 that I've shot for nearly ten years, and it was used when I bought. Has about 1mm of side to side play as well. The play has always been there and has never gotten worse. Just got used to it

Oh God!! Something else to worry about!

My lever is loose enough that if you left the lever lock engaged when you start shooting, you can slip it around the lock. Tried shimming, but mating parts are uneven enough that lever will bind if your shim is thick enough to make any difference. Have though about bushing the lever to correct (maybe a carb throttle shaft bushing) but truthfully has never given any problem except mental ones!!. New lever screw does not help so problem does seem to be the pivot hole in the lever. This rifle is one of the post -08 models with the key instead of roll pin in firing pin extention but do not remember what year I got it. Let me hear what you decide,....GW

I cut shims from feeler gauges, and reduce that play for folks who WORRY about it down to nothing. Don't think it helps running the rifle any faster, though.

Stick washer and lever into place while you are reassembling with a little wheel bearing grease.

Good luck, GJ

I keep sheets of brass shim stock in my shop. I use whatever size it takes to take up the play. Simple and fast solution. I fixed a lot of guns and have never fixed my own, if that tells you something.

Johnny Meadows

I keep sheets of brass shim stock in my shop. I use whatever size it takes to take up the play. Simple and fast solution. I fixed a lot of guns and have never fixed my own, if that tells you something.

Johnny Meadows

Haha...isn't that the way it always is😋

Mine also has play and no plans to fixit😉

Regards,

Ringer

It sounds like mine is on the larger side of the wobble spectrum. With a little effort I can slip the lever past the lever lock but it seems to be even worse when the lever is extended.

Thanks for all the suggestions and information. Not sure what I will do yet. The only reason I am thinking about it is because I am tuning this one up with all the race bits (short stroke, coil springs, etc.), something I have never done on any of my other guns. Since I am going to the effort, I would like to do it right.

Plus One to Garrison Joe. Side slop (wobble) at the lever pivot screw is quite common. Depending on how bad, it may push the

link sideways enough to drag on the side plates. Drop my your local Auto Parts store or Hardware store and pick up a cheap set

of feeler gauges. Check the clearance between the lever and the Lifter Arm Boss. Cut a shim out of the correct feeler gauge and

stick it in. Same same GJ, little grease to hold it in place.

Coffinmaker

Shim it using a washer from a Ruger Vaquero! Works great no problem. Try one or two washers to eliminate the wobble without causing a bind!

Edit: put washer between the lever and the lifter arm.

Ruger Vaqueros don't have washers in them.

Archived