SASS Wire Forum

A shot in the dark! And now the rest of the story!

MB,

just curious.....that whole floor plate includes the tang area. Plus, it contains the trigger & sear, trigger return spring and the lever/trigger safety bar.

I that complete assembly missing.....plus screws?

..........Widder

MB,

just curious.....that whole floor plate includes the tang area. Plus, it contains the trigger & sear, trigger return spring and the lever/trigger safety bar.

I that complete assembly missing.....plus screws?

..........Widder

Knowing Marlin, he probably disassembled it some time ago and used the stripped down tang for a door stop. Then it moved to the junk drawer, now it's unfindable. :P

How in the heck did you ...????

Your friend,

CR

Widder - The short answer is yes but I had already bought all new screws for the entire rifle as some were bad or rusted. Now the rest of the story.

This is a 5 1/2 year project so many things have happened. Now I told you guys not to ask the "how" but since.you did here goes. I bought a "junk" 1894 Centennial from Cowboy Rick and after 3 or 4 years I decided to re-blue it. That is when the fun began. I took it to be barreled receiver, without the tang, and the magazine tube to my gunsmith. No I know he is slow but is very good. Well I waited 12 months expecting the gun to be done. When I called he hadn't been able to get the barrel off the receiver and wanted me to bring the lower tang so he could build a fixture and not damage the receiver while trying to remove the barrel. Of course I took him the lower tang. Checked in a couple of months and he had got the barrel off and it was gone to be blued. About 3 months later called again and he said the bluing job was not right and he was sending it back. At the two year anniversary of originally taking the gun in I called again. I got a recorded message that the gunsmith had cancer but was going to try and get the projects in the shop done. The first 2 years of the project are now in the books.

While the ravages of cancer were taking my friend, and gunsmith, no work progressed on the gun. I called him several times and asked to pay him for what he had done and let me pick-up the rifle. He wouldn't hear of it and insisted he would get it done. This went on for 2 more years and he died 4 years nearly to the day of when I had originally brought in the rifle.

I waited about 6 months after his death to call his widow. Positive message on the answering machine so I felt good about getting the rifle back. Didn't hear anything for 2 months, called again and heard from her the next day and made arrangements to pickup my rifle parts. Went to get them and the bluing was bad, like Doug said, but evidently he had never returned it for re-work. Got the barrel, magazine tube, magazine tube cap, forearm cap, receiver & the lower tang back. The widow would take no money for the work Doug had put in the gun. So at about 4 years and 7 months I had the gun back but it still needed to be re-blued.

When I go the parts home I discovered the forearm cap was from a very old Marlin and so was the magazine plug. I went about finding parts one ebay, Brownells and etc. During this time looked for someone to finish the bluing found him and took the barrel, magazine tube and the receiver without the lower tang to him. He was to blue the tube and barrel and attach the barrel to the receiver. Supposed to be 3 weeks I got it back in February of 2015. Project is now at 5 years. It must have been during this time that the lower tang disappeared. I know I looked at it, played with the trigger and safety release & etc. Actually bought a 1 piece Marlin trigger that I hoped to replace the normal 2 piece Marlin trigger with. I seem to have also lost my set of Brownells screw drivers during this time.

Another problem was exposed when I picked up the barrel and receiver. The barrel wouldn't screw all the way into the receiver far enough. The gunsmith who did the blueing said the barrel would have to be cut down and head space reset. At this point the frustration was such that I let every thing set awhile. I did call Ahlman's about attaching the barrel, $300 to $400 and 2 to 3 months to do. Next I emailed Run-N- Iron because the website said that is how they preferred contact on questions. Didn't hear and didn't hear then at about 6 weeks I got a response. Their computer had crashed and they hadn't been able to save all the emails. They had printed mine and when the got a computer up and running they contacted me. They could do it $100 to $150 and 2 to 3 months. I finally got the parts packed and shipped, got them back in 3 weeks, cost $70.

So last Sunday I sat down to put my long gone rifle back together. When I opened the drawer where the parts were stored, low and behold now lower tang and also no loading gate. So that is why I am taking a shot in the dark. Hopefully I can find a lower tang and my screwdrivers.

Wow Marlin ol' friend..

Kinda like Hee Haw..

Gloom-Despair Agony on me..

Deep dark depression.. Excessive misery...

"If it weren't fer bad luck.. I'd have no luck at all.."

Rance ;)

Thinkin I sure hope ya find yer parts.. :)

Screw drivers too..

Rance you are so right. Thanks to Charlie Harley I found that Numerich has all the parts I will need. I will order them tomorrow; then I will be able to find my parts right after I receive some from them. Might have to order some new screw drivers to. Then I will be assured of finding my own.

Are we going to see you and Lacey this weekend?

Thanks for thinking of me,

Marlin(Deep dark epression.. excessive misery)Buckhorn

I have a lower tang and a trigger and I think a loading gate in the Marlin parts drawer at home. I can look and let you know before you order the parts. If I have them, will send them to you. I will send the bill for the parts to Rance.

Maddog McCoy

I have a lower tang and a trigger and I think a loading gate in the Marlin parts drawer at home. I can look and let you know before you order the parts. If I have them, will send them to you. I will send the bill for the parts to Rance.Maddog McCoy

Geesh... Great ta have friends...

Marlin if ya get yer parts from Maddog...

Well good fer you..

If I get the bill??

Rance ;)

Thinkin... Well... Checks in the mail..

Maddog; Just saw your response now. Thank you very much. I will call you tomorrow probably late morning. If another time is better just let me know.

Rance; don't need no stinking 73 and I got my own Spur Marlin. The Centennial I am trying to put back together is mainly going to be a gun I bring out for folks like you to drool over! :)

See you and your better half Sunday.

Maddog; Just saw your response now. Thank you very much. I will call you tomorrow probably late morning. If another time is better just let me know.

Rance; don't need no stinking 73 and I got my own Spur Marlin. The Centennial I am trying to put back together is mainly going to be a gun I bring out for folks like you to drool over! :)

See you and your better half Sunday.

I'll trade you back - even up, just like before :D

CR

The rest of the story. Yesterday morning I was packing up guns for the New Charity Shoot @ the Milan Rifle Club. As I was casing my rifle I saw the pocket on the side of the gun case. I never, I mean never put anything into these type of pockets, not even ammo. Well I said to my self "Well self, you have looked every where else 10 times for that trigger guard." So I checked that pocket and there was the trigger guard! I have no memory of putting it there but it was in plastic bag just like I remembered. Still haven't found the loading gate but I have everything else. Now if I could just find my Brownell screw drivers!

Marlin(Who is feeling better)Buckhorn

Now I ain't feeling so bad about my Marlin "project'! Started - April, 2011... projected completion - sometime soon! ;)

Archived