SASS Wire Forum

Load in order of signup, load when your ready.

Warden Callaway

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A couple of thoughts here.

First; I can't imagine many things less cowboy than being told to stand in line and "git when I tell you to."

Second; These problems that folks are talking about; getting shooters loaded, and getting help on the stage? I have yet to see that, beyond momentarily, in 16 years of cowboy shooting.

Third; If you're on my posse, you'll get to shoot in any order you want, and, saving a doctor's note, or an iron lung, you will help out. (You'll also probably have a fast-paced, good time!)

Last; I paid good money to be here; don't tell me when to have a good time.

Cheers,

FJT

A couple of thoughts here.

First; I can't imagine many things less cowboy than being told to stand in line and "git when I tell you to."

Second; These problems that folks are talking about; getting shooters loaded, and getting help on the stage? I have yet to see that, beyond momentarily, in 16 years of cowboy shooting.

Third; If you're on my posse, you'll get to shoot in any order you want, and, saving a doctor's note, or an iron lung, you will help out. (You'll also probably have a fast-paced, good time!)

Last; I paid good money to be here; don't tell me when to have a good time.

Cheers,

FJT

The beatings shall continue until morale improves. :lol:

The experience of being on Fredrick Jackson Turner posse when he is posse leader.

He will talk to everyone in a tone that is pleasant.

He will calmly instruct everyone on what is expected from everyone.

He will keep the posse moving.

He asked for helpers in a way that you're glad to step up.

If you slack off, he will verbally beat you up in such a manor that you will enjoy the incident and again step up.

He makes it his purpose to make sure everyone helps out, everyone gets to shoot when they are ready and everyone has a good fun time with a smile on your face.

I have seen when Fredrick Jackson Turner has not done this for all of his posse members.

He looks like he takes it personally and looks like he feels he has failed his group.

I only have one question, FJT.

Where do you get all that energy?

You never stop.

I know you come to monthly matches.

Shoot in the top and then leave to go do 3 or 4 hours of your music show in the evening at some tavern which is usually about 75 to 100 miles away from the range depending on where you're booked.

How do you do it?

The experience of being on Fredrick Jackson Turner posse when he is posse leader.

If you slack off, he will verbally beat you up in such a manor that you will enjoy the incident and again step up.

He makes it his purpose to make sure everyone helps out, everyone gets to shoot when they are ready and everyone has a good fun time with a smile on your face.

I have seen when Fredrick Jackson Turner has not done this for all of his posse members.

He looks like he takes it personally and looks like he feels he has failed his group.

You never stop.

Shoot in the top and then leave to go do 3 or 4 hours of your music show in the evening at some tavern which is usually about 75 to 100 miles away from the range depending on where you're booked.

How do you do it?

He eats his Wheaties!

You never stop.

How do you do it?

I have to second this motion. wholeheartedly.

I can only hope to follow FJT's example as a Posse Marshall if ever I'm called upon to perform such a task.

BOOYAHHH!!!

Silver "unofficial president of the unofficial Soda Springs, ID chapter of the Frederick Jackson Turner Fan Club" Shadow

Hi Folks,

I can't remember ever shooting in the order of sign up.

At our monthlies, we usually shoot in a flexible order that is determined by the shooter. We have individual sheets and we ask where you prefer to shoot. If you aren't ready, have gun problems,... we shift things around without issue. If someone said I no longer want to go last, we'd honor that request as soon as it was made. Same for someone shooting first, or anywhere. Heck, you could be next to a "motor mouth" who ruins your concentration and you want to move. Really no reason is necessary for changing the order. It could be for one stage or the remaining stages.

At annuals, I've shot many different formats. Lately, it is usually when ready, no problem for me. Sometimes, it is in the order on the score sheet with a drop two, no problem for me. Although I would not prefer this.

That said, I really dislike shooting in the last few. Although, with the drop two, it is short lived. So, it doesn't bother me.

I would never discount a fun match, at a nice venue, with fun people, by the way they choose to do this. Unless, maybe, if I had to go last every time or there was no flexibility. Then, I might not be too happy. Many times I've gone first every time, no problem for me. I do prefer to go second or third.

It may be hard to believe; but, there are people who want to know who they follow and to them going in order is best. It isn't nice to call them names for having a preference that is different than yours. Even this is easy to resolve in a "go when ready" match. Just pair them up with someone to follow. IMO, the key is to be flexible and try to accommodate everyone's wishes.

I cannot believe there is a "shoot in order" club that is so inflexible they would make someone who is not ready, has gun problems, or has to go... shoot in turn.

I guess the bottom line is "shoot when ready" is growing on me.

Regards,

Allie Mo

Ah have a hard time with either way! When we load when ready ah often find I git up too early and ain't really ready, or ah waits too long and I fergit the stage instructions. Too often when we load in order, ah'm not ready when its my turn and have to go to the end of the line.

Danged if ya do an danged if ya don't!

Any folks know what happened to the thread 'bout which boot to put on first? Ah was lookin' fer that one when ah found this un'.

Ah have a hard time with either way! When we load when ready ah often find I git up too early and ain't really ready, or ah waits too long and I fergit the stage instructions. Too often when we load in order, ah'm not ready when its my turn and have to go to the end of the line.

Danged if ya do an danged if ya don't!

Any folks know what happened to the thread 'bout which boot to put on first? Ah was lookin' fer that one when ah found this un'.

Is that like the conversation on All in the Family between Archie and Meathead about putting on a sock and sock and then shue and shue vs sock, shue, sock shue.

I am a definite shoot when ready guy! Shooting in order is too restrictive. Having shot, marshaled, RO'd many matches, shooting when ready is not less efficient than shooting in order. If anything most posses I shoot with will finish well before other posse's.

Being new to PA this seems to be a shoot in order area...but I finally got to time last Saturday!

I have 2 Buckaroos to shoot with me. And some gun sharing between the 3 of us. The Shoot when ready has worked great for us. If boy 1 decides Now is the time for a bathroom run, then boy 2 or myself can shoot. The norm is the youngest wants to shoot right away. Then the older boy shoots. I end up shooting in the last 3 each stage. I have only shot at one range that shoots in order. It was in Iowa and the boys can't shoot hand guns there and don't go. There was more confusion and wasted time there than at the come when ready ranges.

...He makes it his purpose to make sure everyone helps out, everyone gets to shoot when they are ready and everyone has a good fun time with a smile on your face.

You never stop.

How do you do it?

He eats his Wheaties!

I have to second this motion. wholeheartedly.

I can only hope to follow FJT's example as a Posse Marshall if ever I'm called upon to perform such a task.

BOOYAHHH!!!

Silver "unofficial president of the unofficial Soda Springs, ID chapter of the Frederick Jackson Turner Fan Club" Shadow

You guys crack me up! But thank you! All of these gentlemen quoted have this in common; they understand how enjoyable and valuable that this pursuit which we all enjoy is. It's the kind of thing to get you up in the morning, makes you want to do your best, and gives you energy when you think there may be nothing left in the tank! Treat it with respect, and it'll treat you very well indeed!

Next shooter! Load when ready!

Cheers,

FJT

I prefer shoot in order, I was at a regional match years ago and everyone wanted to shoot in order, I brassed every stage, never got much help and it was always you are the last shooter hurry up... Most of my experiences with shoot when ready matches, you have ten people in line at the loading table and nobody working. I'd really like to attend a shoot when ready match someday when everyone is a worker...

OK so I have enjoyed this thread. It gives me hope for finding a place where you can shoot when ready. It sounds interesting and appears to allow for best performance.

Currently I'm shooting in places where it goes in order, but shooters have a say in where they fall in the order. That seems to work well generally.

We do have confusion at times where the chores seem to fall off. One group does first half/second half and that seems to work well.

What suggestions do you have to motivate posse members to help out with chores in the shoot when ready situation or the unstated shoot in order?

I personally struggle with my composure when I see a large number of folks who are stuck on their stools or standing off thirty yards back from the line.

What about places using a tablet to score? Are there any issues with the not following an order?

Just exactly how many people are you waiting for to shoot? Timer, SK, and three spotters? Or a brass picker also?

Thanks.

"What suggestions do you have to motivate posse members to help out with chores in the shoot when ready situation or the unstated shoot in order?"

There is NOTHING you can do. The Palaverin' People are a special posse. They think they are there to shoot and palaver only. They are not gonna work and that is all there is to it. Neither haranguing or cajoling or anything else works with them. I wish they would stay home as they are naught but a detriment to the posse

"What suggestions do you have to motivate posse members to help out with chores in the shoot when ready situation or the unstated shoot in order?"

There is NOTHING you can do. The Palaverin' People are a special posse. They think they are there to shoot and palaver only. They are not gonna work and that is all there is to it. Neither haranguing or cajoling or anything else works with them. I wish they would stay home as they are naught but a detriment to the posse

Don't shag their brass for starters.

Nor be on their posse

I generally don't let people who came to watch off the hook. I'll bring them over to the loading table and explain it's the next best view in the house. I explain what to watch for and watch a few load and then slip out and let them take over. Same with unloading table chores. I've got just watching spouses to keep score. Most stick right with it. One of the last matches we had a boy about 8 come with dad. Normally he brings both sons but this time only one. I got his attention and asked him to pick up brass. I told him to go stand by the lady keeping score and she'd tell him when to go forward. He did a great job and felt a lot of pride getting to do it. After the match, Mary (the lady keeping score) thanked him and told him what a good job he did and gave him $2. Then someone else screwed a good thing and gave him $10.

Don't shag their brass for starters.

Nor be on their posse

I must shag all brass, it is what I do. And until I do , the match stops so it must be shagged to keep the match moving.

There is always only one posse out here in the Big Empty...

I must shag all brass, it is what I do. And until I do , the match stops so it must be shagged to keep the match moving.

There is always only one posse out here in the Big Empty...

You have a very undesirable, in so many ways, home club

Archived