SASS Wire Forum

Load in order of signup, load when your ready.

Warden Callaway

At a couple of matches that I shoot every month I like to load at the table the same time my pard Eeyore loads, he's the one that convinced me to shoot gunfighter and he is a wealth of information. When we're loading up, usually first and second to load we're able to discuss how best to shoot the scenario as GF's and he is very helpful. If I shoot first I'm waiting for him at the UT and he'll critique me on how I did and ask me what I thought of his stage. Some folks that are loading don't want any conversation from anyone around them and that's fine too, I'm a lot more gregarious and I enjoy visiting with folks at the loading table as well as the unloading table, so if a person like me is forced to load between a couple of pards who don't like to chat it could cause problems.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On those occasions where I've been posse marshal, I've taken a poll. When the vote comes up "when ready" I explain that there are to be no more than three or four at the loading table. If I have to admonish shooters for ganging up at the loading table more than once, we revert to "in order" for the remainder of the match. That has always worked and thus the "mayhem" is avoided.

Picking a working partner to swap duties with is also "strongly" recommended!!

As for me, I don't care one way or the other!!!

Just one more posses one might avoid. You reduce the line when the number of workers is inadequate not based on the quantity in line. With posses of over 20 shooters you can have 7 or 8 in line with no issues provided the rest work.

As one of few on the Wire that started "way back when"... like before there was a "SASS", I'll give an "old-timer's" perspective...

Back in the days of the "Coto de Caza" matches, it was always "load when ready". For 20 years I only shot at places that were started by folks that were introduced to cowboy action shooting by the Wild Bunch. All were "load when ready". So, from a historical perspective, it seems "natural". The two or three clubs that I shot at where it was "in order"... seems too authoritarian for this particular independent cowboy. Kinda like being back in the military... I believe that if anyone knows when I'm ready, it's me... not some piece of paper.

Problems associated with either system are present. I saw more vacant loading tables at "in order" matches than "when ready". While I know we all come to a match to shoot... sometimes, shooting the breeze is just as important as shooting the stage.

I generally prefer to shoot early, then, if I'm shooting C&B, I can man the unloading table and prepare my pistols, and not feel like I'm shirking posse duties. If I'm shooting smokeless, I can get my gear ready for the next stage, then take over as spotter, scorekeeper or TO. Simply ask, "who's not shot yet?"

If I start off or take over as a TO, I feel it's part of my job to make sure spotters and scorekeepers are relieved in a timely manner so they can prepare to shoot their stage. As for "in order" vs "when ready" being easier for the scorekeeper, I'd say "Not!' If someone I don't know is next up, how hard is it to ask? I've kept score for a stage or two at clubs where I didn't know anyone. Sure seems like a good way to get to know folks. Might have been my willingness to ask, "what's your alias?"

Who resolves the conflict when two or more people want to shoot first? Or last? Or lucky #7? Or?

I find the children usually work it out by taking turns. If not, an adult will help them out.

As to your original question , Shoot When Ready!

I am fortunate to shoot most of my monthly matches in Michigan as a member of the Wolverine Rangers. I find most everyone's thrill in shooting is matched by their desire to ensure all the posse jobs are covered. No problems anywhere. I find the same thing happens at most of the State and Annual and Regional Events I have attended over the last 10 or so years as well. Cooperation and awareness is a beautiful thing!

I find the children usually work it out by taking turns. If not, an adult will help them out.

As to your original question , Shoot When Ready!

I am fortunate to shoot most of my monthly matches in Michigan as a member of the Wolverine Rangers. I find most everyone's thrill in shooting is matched by their desire to ensure all the posse jobs are covered. No problems anywhere. I find the same thing happens at most of the State and Annual and Regional Events I have attended over the last 10 or so years as well. Cooperation and awareness is a beautiful thing!

My original post didn't have a question. Just a report of my first experience loading when ready. I'm fine with either way.

I've noticed that clock watchers (the guys that worry about what time it is during the entire match at every match) and shoot in order fans tend to be one in the same. I don't let hand wringing get in the way of the posses or my good time.

Well,

I wouldn't let how the shooting order is determined affect where I shoot. Local monthly matches use the order as agreed upon at the start of the match which is usually "shoot in order". It's been the norm since the beginning of my time shooting CAS around east TN. I don't shoot many out of area matches and have mixed feelings with "shoot when ready". It's a track meet to shoot early on a stage. It takes several attempts to even make it to the loading table as by the time I went to the cart and turned around the table(s) were crowded. Therefore I didn't get to shoot when ready. I finally just worked on posse chores till near the end of the stage then loaded and shot. Definitely, not my when ready preference. As stated earlier, shooting order determination would not affect where I shoot.

Hasta Luego, Keystone

shooting in order isn't toooo bad,,, IF, you get to choose where you are in the order....

alphabetical sucks!!! almost changed my alias to start with an S as in Shyanne!!

shooting in order isn't toooo bad,,, IF, you get to choose where you are in the order....

alphabetical sucks!!! almost changed my alias to start with an S as in Shyanne!!

Got you beat by one letter. I hate shooting in order!

Usually, about the second stage, folks will have fell in to the order they are comfortable with. The idea that a preset shooting order will keep the loading table flowing is hog wash. People will still have to be told when to go to the table or the table will be backed up.

If a score keeper has problems remembering the shooter's alias, all they have to do is ask. I have been asked. And, I know this is alien to some folks, but if I am shooting with folks I don't know, I will actually tell the score keeper my alias. I mean, it is my responsibility to make sure I get the correct score, right?

After the first couple of shooters have shot a stage, I will shoot at anytime thereafter. I have no real preference although I like to watch a couple of cowboys shoot before I do. Helps me to be sure I understand the scenario correctly. Actually, since I usually work the Loading Table, I tend to shoot last, which doesn't bother me at all. I get the next to last shooter to check my guns so there's no need for anyone to take over my job. Works for me.

RBK

If you have to shoot in order to keep your posse organized I don't want to shoot with you!

Shoot in order, unless your not ready....sooo, basically shoot when ready! We are not in kindergarten people, when you are ready to shoot, go to the table load and shoot, very simple!

WK

Coulda went wit Purdy Boy...

Lady T hadn't given it to me yet!!

Who resolves the conflict when two or more people want to shoot first? Or last? Or lucky #7? Or?

Between your OP where you had to bark at people to get to the Loading Table and this, you sure have experienced things I hope I never have to.

I most definitely vote for "when ready". The name alone would tilt the scales in favor of that. Don't try to force me to shoot when I'm not ready and I can make that determination better than anybody else.

The first time or two shooting any order for a club is usually the most disorganized. Haven't shot at a role call club for a long time. I like it that way.

CR

Shoot when ready. Try it, you'll like it.

Irish Tom.

It was resolved around here back at the beginning of Cowboy Action Shooting with a showdown on main street at high noon. This one feller get shot plum through the gizzard and since then everyone has become exceptionally polite and all problems with shooting when ready went away.

"I got shot plum through the gizzard!" Standby. Beep! :)

So if you have to shoot in order, what happens when a shooter can not shoot for some reason or is not ready to shoot in order? Say he is working the stage and forgets to get in line to load. Say he gets to the firing line and suddenly has to take a porta potty break, happens to old farts you know. Say he gets to the line and after watching a prior couple of shooters have great difficulty with the stage, decides to go to the unloading table and wait a while, clear his head. etc.

So if you have to shoot in order, what happens when a shooter can not shoot for some reason or is not ready to shoot in order? Say he is working the stage and forgets to get in line to load. Say he gets to the firing line and suddenly has to take a porta potty break, happens to old farts you know. Say he gets to the line and after watching a prior couple of shooters have great difficulty with the stage, decides to go to the unloading table and wait a while, clear his head. etc.

What happens at our matches is the shooter tells the score keeper he/she is not ready and the next person steps up.

I have always shot in order, until the Missouri State a couple of years ago.

Was on a Posse that wanted to shoot when ready, and enjoyed it.

Due to a misspent youth I tend bring a stool so I can set and run the loading/unloading table. Someone was always ready, even asking if they could replace me so I could shoot.

Never encountered that before

Did your posse shoot when ready or in order yesterday?

BTW, your numbers looked good. Just for one P you were clean. I bet it was stage one rifle. That was a tough one.

We shot in order, except for a couple folks with equipment hangups.

RE: the P. Nope I shot that weird rifle stage fine. I was expecting a P there. I messed up the pistol sweeps on the next stage. Wrong direction with the second pistol.

Angus

maybe to the in order guys, when ready just looks like chaos... Kinda like hockey.

I prefer when ready and that's pretty much all you ever see in these parts, but can shoot in order if that's what the posse wants.

Could be. Maybe I was the only one that was confused. :D Also possible that since I started with "in order" and most of the shoots here seem to be "in order" "as ready" just takes some getting used to. BTW, I've never seen anyone forced to shoot that wasn't ready. I've seen the next shooter in line jump ahead numerous times while a shooter prepared in order to keep things moving. Is that "in line as ready"? :lol:

I have no problem taking a vote on it. Although I don't usually vote as I just don't care as much as some and will go with the flow. I just want to shoot.

Angus

Where we shoot, Cimarron Larna and I seldom encounter die-hard shoot in order types. Neither bothers me too much. Either style has little bearing on workers and not-workers if'n ya know what I mean. When I'm king for a day I let the posse decide. If your "duties" interfere with the order, or you just plain ain't ready yet, jump in somewhere. Shouldn't be that big a deal, right?

+1

You will never shoot as well if you are told when to shoot. You may need time to decompress over a previous mistake or plan out your transitions.

When I was a new shooter we followed an alphabetical shooting order. With my alias I was almost always the first shooter! I said at the time that I was going to change my alias to "Zebulon Corpus"! Even when we "shot in order", shooters' requests to change order were always granted.

Over time we transitioned to "shoot when ready" in the two clubs where I shoot regularly.

Around here we have a guy that always shoots first. Others would like to have a chance to go first, but they're bullied into going second or third.

He wouldn't shoot first if there is no TO or spotters to let him bully them! If he is such a bully, he can be asked to not attend next month. Or the next. Or the next!

I'm comfortable with either method; although, I prefer to shoot first or second each stage.

Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee

I prefer to shoot random. Often clubs will put the possee names in a computer to print out possee and scorer sheets alphabetically and guess who comes out first. If I am possee leader, then if insist that we will rotate by 3 names so everyone has a chance at being in the top 3 shooters on a stage. If we shoot random, then I will ask the shooters to announce their name to the scorer on their way up to the line.

Load when ready works best for me. I want to decide when I'm good to shoot.

Still, it does vary between clubs around here. I always like it when we get to vote on it.

Usually, we skip down 2 or 3 next stage and so on so same people don't go first every stage.

Our clubs around here often are bringing along several newer lady shooters (yay! Keep them coming!)-- We women talk about this; they tell me they are nervous and feel rushed plus they often struggle with costuming in the outhouses in between stages.

Shootists, of all levels and experience, shouldn't have to justify why they need a little more or less time to feel ready in order to do their best. Just load when ready and have fun.

Archived