SASS Wire Forum

Nuclear Capable Strategic Bombers

Subdeacon Joe

The Hustler and the Vulcan are two of my all time jet bomber favorites.

Last week, my wife's Uncle Jerry passed away at age 82. He was a Korean War Veteran, trained as a mechanic on the B-36.

He was so proud of his time in the Air Force. His funeral service included Air Force personnel for the flag ceremony, and a Marine Honor Guard rendering a rifle salute. It was very moving.

Thanks for posting a clip of the aircraft he loved.

Cool. Although the A3D Skywarrior shown in the video was designed as a nuclear bomber, dad flew them on ECM missions where bomb bay was loaded with electronic countermeasures gear and crew.

His plane ca. 1959, Iwakuni, Japan

A3D2Q%20abt%201960.jpg

When I first enlisted in the Navy I did a short stint working on F-4 and A-4s in a ACM RAG squadron. Then I transferred to VQ-2, Rota Spain. Spent 3 years working on the avionics of EA-3Bs.

Follow on tour was with VAQ-34 working on the mission avionics of ERA-3Bs.

Note: The B-1 Lancer (aka "The BONE"...as in B-One) is NOT nuclear capable. Some B-52's (aka "The BUFF" for Big, Ugly, Fat F....r or Fellow in polite company) are dual-capable, and some are conventional only in compliance with the arms reduction agreements).

The Bone was originally assigned to Air Combat Command (successor to Tactical Air Command or TAC), but is now assigned to Air Force Global Strike Command (successor to SAC). It is still "conventional" munitions only.

B-1 isn't now nuclear, but once was. According to Wikipedia:

"...The B-1B entered service in 1986 with the USAF Strategic Air Command (SAC) as a nuclear bomber. In the early 1990s, following the Gulf War and concurrent with the disestablishment of SAC and its reassignment to the newly formed Air Combat Command (ACC), the B-1B was converted to conventional bombing use."

The A-5 was designed as a nuclear bomber, but ended up as a recon plane https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_American_A-5_Vigilante

Interesting airplane! Dad was a Navy project officer at North American for some part of that plane back in 1956. Unlike any other plane I'm aware of, it carried its payload internally between the engines. Delivery was by ejection out the rear end from between the nozzles. So when the bomb was "dumped", it reminds one of taking one... :rolleyes:

Note: The B-1 Lancer (aka "The BONE"...as in B-One) is NOT nuclear capable. Some B-52's (aka "The BUFF" for Big, Ugly, Fat F....r or Fellow in polite company) are dual-capable, and some are conventional only in compliance with the arms reduction agreements).

The Bone was originally assigned to Air Combat Command (successor to Tactical Air Command or TAC), but is now assigned to Air Force Global Strike Command (successor to SAC). It is still "conventional" munitions only.

Like mentioned, today it is not nuclear. But it was when I worked on it. I remember many meetings with the Air Force with discussions about shielding electronics and personal from nuclear blast. The customers intention when we designed and built it was as a nuclear weapon delivery bomber.

What is scary to me is how the bombing mission into Russia was a one way ticket for the bomber crews. They had little chance of surviving the massive air defense systems of Russia.

Remember Fail-Safe and Doctor Strangelove?

Of course when you are about to destroy all life on earth what difference does it make?

IMHO the worst bomber we had was the B-36 Peacemaker. I don't know if they ever solved all of the mechanical problems it had. Plus it was a slow, big moving target.

Of course when you are about to destroy all life on earth what difference does it make?

IMHO the worst bomber we had was the B-36 Peacemaker. I don't know if they ever solved all of the mechanical problems it had. Plus it was a slow, big moving target.

However useless and ineffective it was, the populace was placated and felt protected by nothing more than its marketing and presence. Just like the we do with the TSA...

Archived