SASS Wire Forum

Shooting brass 12 ga BP ?

20160612_160204_zps4k7k7rfs.jpg

I bought a old crusty wooden box the other day with antique loading tools. Most I've seen. But the above is new to me. It's a 12 gauge shell holder with a threaded rod that when the wooden handle is turned, it seats a primer.

20160612_160233_zpshmlkehpx.jpg

By a combination of turning and pushing, the wood handle retracts to reveal a punch.

The tool is obviously made for brass hulls loaded with pistol primers. One major advantage I see is that it will seat a primer to the bottom of the primer hole - not just flush with the base.

Looks like a good cottage industry product to reproduce.

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I seat my Brasser's with my RCBS Rock Chucker and a 12 ga. shell holder. De-cap with a MEC 600 jr. and the MEC Brass shell loading adaptor kit. The MEC adaptor kit comes with a Primer seater for Large pistol primers. But I find I get a better seat with the RCBS.

The MEC adaptor is not in the catalog or on-line. You must call MEC ask for the product and order from the Factory. Just ask for the Brass 12 ga. MEC 600 loading adaptor. When I bought mine it was around $35.00. I have an old 600 JR. set up just for brass case loading. The adaptor includes a LP primer de-capper & a LPP seater cup and rammer.

My, we have some interest in Brass Shell's. This Thread & post is almost 2000 views so far.

Reminds me of the thread we had going over on CAS City a few Years ago. That's when Coffinmaker decided to make the plunge !

One thing I'd like to find is a 10 gauge shell holder! However, I have my 10 gauge Sizemaster that perhaps MEC has the depriming kit for one of those!

Edited by The Polish Pistolero

My, we have some interest in Brass Shell's. This Thread & post is almost 2000 views so far.

Reminds me of the thread we had going over on CAS City a few Years ago. That's when Coffinmaker decided to make the plunge !

With all the new shooters looking for the brass shells which aren't exactly a dime a dozen, it helps to snoop around for the deals. Most places are selling the Magtech cases for $25 per box of 25 plus another $14 to $21 shipping. I found them for $21.80 per box with free shipping at Sportsmans Guide this morning so ordered some more.

Yepper Yepper Yepper !!!!! And take the plunge I did. All Brass 12Ga is such a HOOT!! Some work to re-load, but well worth the effort.

Now if I could just get the one that went missing at the Ohio State match, I'd be happy camper :)

Now I'm even looking into the referenced 10Ga 1 1/8 Oz 10Ga wad that fits a Brass 12. Eliminate that greasy cushion wad. Really

really good thread here.

Coffinmaker

Yepper Yepper Yepper !!!!! And take the plunge I did. All Brass 12Ga is such a HOOT!! Some work to re-load, but well worth the effort.

Now if I could just get the one that went missing at the Ohio State match, I'd be happy camper :)

Now I'm even looking into the referenced 10Ga 1 1/8 Oz 10Ga wad that fits a Brass 12. Eliminate that greasy cushion wad. Really

really good thread here.

Coffinmaker

I said I'd shoot the 6 stage match Saturday without cleaning my CZ-USA. But I had a conversation with a smokeless shooter about how difficult it was to clean black powder guns. After third stage, I took him aside for a demo. I showed him the black bores. He gasp when I poured a little water through the bores. I then dropped a the bore snake cord through the bore and stepped on the pull cord. I lifted the gun to pull the dry snake through - one pass each bore. Spotless. He didn't think it possible.

Keep your eye out for a Flambeau shot shell loading block. Yellow in color, plastic , approx. 10 X 10 inches square. Dual sided, one side 28-20 gauge, other side 16-12 gauge. And holds 50 rounds. These were made in the 1960-70 era.

Great for loading, and working on Brass shells.

I found the one I have in a LGS in La Grande, Oregon. I think I paid $2.00 for the loading block.

They might show up and Gun Shows, Yard Sales, etc. Hard to miss the Yellow color and 50 square holes per side.

Did I hear loading blocks? Whadda ya think........ a bit overboard OR just neat and organized? :) I make five loading blocks for every caliber I load, looks like it's time to make some for the 12g brass.

loading-blocks.jpg

I think ya better get busy ! Ya might wana make the 12 ga. double thickness. I made a 16 ga. wood loading block, single thickness 3/4". That long case gets kinda wobbly in the short hole. Or drill thru and put a 1/8" bottom on the block. I have never tipped it over yet, but came close once charging shot.

Edited by Lefty Dude, SASS # 51223

I had to make my own loading blocks too. I started with loading 10 gauge and there is nothing available. I even made wooden reloading tools.

The first one I made was out of red oak. It is very heavy and even heavier when loaded. I have since made a couple out of eastern red cedar. I used a forstner bit to get flat bottoms.

I made mine out of Ash, also used a Forstner bit.

I did mine the lazy way, I laid out the hole patterns in a computer program, mounted the material on the bed of my CNC mill and fired it up then walked off and let it bore all the flat bottomed holes. This way if I want a hole of .885" for the Magtech cases, that's what I'll get not having to worry about finding a drill bit that's "almost" what I want. :)

Hokay, I'll Bite

Warden Callaway showed a little nifty load that has piqued my interest. Using a 10Ga plastic wad in a 12Ga Brass Hull. Could well do away with that gooey lubed fiber wad. I'm IN!! EXCEPT ......... I went shopping on line for a nice, short, 10Ga plastic wad and couldn't find a single 10Ga wad. Anywhere!! SO, the KEY question ........

Where is anyone finding nice 10Ga Plastic Wads these days?? Gimme a Hint?? Map anna Compas Maybe?? Believe me, sitting at the bench and cutting the Butt offa a bag of 12Ga wads is NOT entertaining. Pretty Please??

Coffinmaker

Edited by Colorado Coffinmaker

I got the ones I used from MidwayUSA last summer. I don't see them listed now.

The picture on these from Grafs look like the ones I bought but I bet they are bigger. I think mine are for 1-3/8 oz.

https://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/product/productId/25129

Edited by Warden Callaway

I was about to add link to ballistic products.

http://www.ballisticproducts.com/PT1044-VP100-10ga-wad-250_bag/productinfo/222PT1044/

This is what I'm using. I may have to see if I can find more. I also have some Remington 10 gauge wads but for 2 oz loads. Lots of 10 gauge wads but 99.99% are for 3-1/2" steel shot loads.

I've bit the bullet for the Ballistic Products wad. The shipping is more than the bag of wads. If I like em, I'll order enough to justify the shipping. I really want to eliminate the Gooey Fiber wads. What a mess.

Now to visit the local UPS store for the correct "Gost Poop" for the top filler. I are gettin 'cited.

Coffinmaker

Neat article. Look on eBay for a set of antique loading tools. I even have an antique priming tool that takes the anxiety out of banging a case down on a primer. That'll fray your nerves after a few of them go off on ya !

LQ

Thanks for this thread... found out what I might have done wrong in my first foray into loading brass BP rounds...

A few years back I bought a Grocery bag full of Alcan 16 ga. wads for brass shells, the Vendor was happy to take my $5.00.

The stash included both OPC's & 1/2, 3/8" cushion wads. The 1/2" are lubed, (dry now). All wads are in original boxes. 500 to the box.

Warden,

You pull up your mask and back up to the register when you gave em the 3 Bucks (snicker snicker) :)

Coffinmaker

They make money on me, I'm sure. I buy all my powder from them and lots of other stuff.

We did stop in at Sportsmans Warehouse north of Des Moines and bought 9 more cans of BlackMZ for $9.95 each.

Anyone that crimps their hulls anneal them?

How often?

Anyone that crimps their hulls anneal them?

How often?

I've seen a few videos where folks are crimping their cases and was surprised at how little the cases are actually being crimped. Rather than saying I crimp the end, I think a better description would be to say I slightly curve the edge, JUST enough to break the sharp edge so the shells drop easily into the shotgun barrels. With this little of a curve, I can't see any reason for any heat treating at all. I've just begun using these brass shells but have already reloaded the same brass at least five times and the original crimp hasn't changed at all so it's not like you will be re-crimping every time you reload.

I deburred and smoothed the case edges when they were new and crimped them once and I don't see myself doing it again anytime soon. Perhaps Lefty Dude will pop in with his opinion since he has loaded his for years and I'll wager he doesn't keep re-crimping either.

I got the Bordertown email today showing all the participants. Looks like quite a few of us brass shell users are attending, perhaps a little get together one evening might be in order to chit chat about things. :)

I got the Bordertown email today showing all the participants. Looks like quite a few of us brass shell users are attending, perhaps a little get together one evening might be in order to chit chat about things. :)

It sounds like some good learning time for us new people at it...Got the brass, thought is was time do it...

TL