SASS Wire Forum

Researching for SxS 12 gauge with " rabbit ear " hammers

My father in-law is looking for a 12 gauge side-by-side double barrel shotgun with "rabbit ear" hammers.

I told him that I have one of the best sources for guns for this type of search and advised him that I would reach out for him and gather information on possible purchases.

He was in a gun shop in DeFuniak Springs, Florida where he lives, and saw one for $600, but made the mistake of walking out the door and thinking about it. He went back the next day and it had been sold. I'm not sure what it was.

I would like to provide him with two (2) options, (let me know if there is a 3rd):

1. Buying New
  2. Buying Used

For Buying New, I would like to get opinions on which manufacturer makes the best shotgun meeting the specifications provided.

For Buying Used, I would like to know what is available out there that y'all would like to sell.

Thanking everyone in advance.

My first pick would be a TTN or Cimarron 1878 12ga Coach Gun (version of the 1878 Colt's Shotgun). Less than $600. I saw one on Gunbroker by a Cowboy Shooter... new for 525.00

There was a TTN recently on this Wire for 500.00

If you place a Want to Buy,(WTB) ad here, you'll get several different shotguns to choose from.

CZ makes a fine gun.

Used has three choices:

- a 19th century gun, likely with Damascus barrels or very soft decarbonized barrels

- a Euorpean copy of a fine gunm likely made 1900 to 1938, usually Belgian copy of an English gun, some are Damascus

- an early 20th century US gun like a Stenpvens 235

I got good service from a Rem Model 1878. Other have posted very nice guns from all three groups. Many chambers are 2-1/2" or 2-9/16". Many are suited for BP only.

My immediate thought is also a Cimarron 1878. Made like a tank. Used, same. Used Cimarron 1878. Also know originally as the

"TTN" You can spend more me money but the TTN/Cimarron is a "Best Buy."

1st cas sxs was a used TTN 78. Was a great one. Bought a 235 Stevens with a dented barrel ( at 25") for 125$. Had a smith cut it to 21" for 25$. They are out there. Just don't get in a hurry- now, someone hurry up and sell me an Open Top :D .(see my post)

Parson

My lineup would be. TTN ( Cimarron 1878), Coyote Cap Norinco 99, Rossi if you can find one and CZ which is hard to lighten up to match a TTN.

Johnny Meadows

Check out the latest edition of "Guns of the Old West".

It has a great feature on all the new shotguns available for our sport.

For playing our sport and price new, TTN/Cimarron 1878 hands down.

For beauty, CZ.

Have both and use the TTN all the time.

No input on originals....

My 2 cents

Asa Smith

I have a J.A. Stevens Model 235 and an older TTN copy of the 1878 Colt. Both are built hell for stout. The TTN is better for our sport. The 235 is Born in the USA. LIKE EM BOTH.

Well I had my work cut out for me thanks to all who replied to my request.

The list appeared to be extensive and sent me on my quest to research the Internet to gather more information.

What I have found, along with my observations, are below for those who may be interested. This listing is pending further research on coach guns not suggested but found during my Internet search, and listed last.

1. Cimarron 1878 (formerly TTN): So far have found this to be the most likely choice. Nice look, good reviews, available for purchase around $485

2. CZ USA: Best looking, good reviews, available for purchase; however, runs in the $800 - $850 range

3. KBI, Inc. Liberty Arms: Good looking gun; however, appears to only be available through Auction Sites, last sale price $355

4. Norinco Model 99: Another great looking gun; however, appears to only be available through Auction Sites, last sale price $350

5. Stevens 235: Older coach gun, not easily available

6. Rossi Overland: Another older coach gun, not easily available. One former SASS member I talked to had great things to say about this gun.

As mentioned above, during my search I came across several other coach guns I would like to get someone's impression of since they were not mentioned in response to my original thread. They are:

1. Century International Arms JW2000: Can be purchased from Gander Mountain for $310

2. Century International Arms SPM12: Which also can be purchased from Gander Mountain for $310

3. Inter State Arms Corp. (IAC) Model 99 1887: Not sure if this is the same coach gun as the Norinco Model 99 listed above?

4. "Coyote cap Special Edition" Model 1887wse-18, also called an M-99w-20 by I.A.C.: Again, the same gun as #4 in the first list, and #3 in this list?

I want to again, thank all who responded to my original question, and would appreciate any additional input regarding this follow-up.

Look forward to making a final decision and purchasing the gun for my father in-law.

I have 5 double barreled hammer guns. All bought used. Several from the 1800s, . . . . some purchased for as little as $ 200.

There are plenty to choose from . . . you are unlikey to only purchase one and no more. Ya can't have too many GUNS !

Good shooting . . . . . :)

I would steer clear of the IAC 99 and its variants. First time I shot mine it shed big junks of the Chinese mystery balsa wood from the wrist of the buttstock. Got it patched up and sold it to a guy who was only gonna use it for varmints. Also the hammers are farther apart than the TTN/Cimarron 1878 if that matters and he wants to cock 'em both at oncet. Some of the variants have like 3 external unnecessary safeties adorning them.

The TTN/Cimarron 1878 is hands down the top choice. You can end the search and get one and he should be able to shoot it forever. Built like a tank. I bought one of the early cch receiver ones and love it. I loved it so much that I bought a blued receiver one for a back up. It is still in the box. It appears the cch gun will likely outlive me. Knock wood. Now I just need one of the 26 inch ones, preferably cch, because well just because...

The M1887 is a lever action shotgun.

Yes indeedy but unfortunately and foolishly some of the IAC model 99 variants have also been designated as 1887s. Makes no sense but they did it anyway. Hard to fathom. Kinda like Ruger and the New Vaquero...

Well the IAC (norinco )99 IS a gun of many names. But the Coyote Cap version is a different animal. first it is stocked in Missouri walnut. the barrels are shortened to minimum, funneled, reamed , big bead and 7/8 hold open (holds barrels almost shut for sitting in rack or when vertically staged I thought it was interesting Johnny Meadows gave it the third rating! Good hunting GW

Archived