SASS Wire Forum

Will reloading die out in California?

John Henry Quick

More ignorant laws

http://safetyforall.com

Crazy finds a way to do harm to others. Here in the news today, knife mass murderer and attacks, nut bag in a car running people over. Not hearing the anti gun people screaming ban cars or knives. How about background checks on all people buying knives from machette's to butterknives. Politicians are idiots.

I'm sure that all the bad guys will be shaking in their boots if this stupid law passes . Where will the felons get there guns now that they still can't buy them legally ?

​Stupid ignorant people. What scares me is the clause violent misdemeanor crimes. Also it looks like you would have to pay up to $50.00 to get an license to purchase ammo. They are treating ammunition like it was a firearm. Read the text , it should scare every gun owner.

I'm sure that all the bad guys will be shaking in their boots if this stupid law passes . Where will the felons get there guns now that they still can't buy them legally ?

​Stupid ignorant people. What scares me is the clause violent misdemeanor crimes. Also it looks like you would have to pay up to $50.00 to get an license to purchase ammo. They are treating ammunition like it was a firearm. Read the text , it should scare every gun owner.

You know it's not about safety.....its about money and punishing us God fearing gun toting patriots.

Yikes....that is scary stuff....Jim

CA the liberal test grounds for the US

Unfortunately, that is true. Of the 40 million people in Ca., only about 15 million of them vote. Of that, about 8.6 million vote Democratic, and 5.6 million vote Republican. California has more conservatives that most any state in the Union, yet it does little good because we are outnumbered, and the way the state is Gerrymandered. We have not given up the fight.

Snakebite

Unfortunately, that is true. Of the 40 million people in Ca., only about 15 million of them vote. Of that, about 8.6 million vote Democratic, and 5.6 million vote Republican. California has more conservatives that most any state in the Union, yet it does little good because we are outnumbered, and the way the state is Gerrymandered. We have not given up the fight.

Snakebite

Yep, unfortunately, too many people say their vote don't count or they want to make a stand and vote independent. Therefore, putting liberals in office....

I live in Hawaii on the Big Island. Reloading is our main method for our ammo needs and Hawaii's gun laws are much worse than California. I was born and raised in California and visit family there each year. What I'm saying is that shooters here in Hawaii have become rather clever in getting everything we need to reload and finding a place to shoot that ammo.

Reading mainly section 8, one might conclude that this insanity might just promote MORE shooters to start reloading their own ammo rather than continuing buying ammunition. Of course, it wouldn't be long until the loonies figured it out and started banning all components required to make ammunition, I can see it now.......... Picking up spent brass at a shooting range carries the same penalty as trafficking cocaine!

Does this also mean we'll have to wait 10 days to pick up our ammo after purchase? That law was already ruled unconstitutional and should get through the appeal process pretty soon, hopefully. But I do see it as more people will be reloading instead of buying ammo.

Back door a temp at gun control, ban or make it almost impossible to get ammo and nobody will want a gun

Reading mainly section 8, one might conclude that this insanity might just promote MORE shooters to start reloading their own ammo rather than continuing buying ammunition. Of course, it wouldn't be long until the loonies figured it out and started banning all components required to make ammunition, I can see it now.......... Picking up spent brass at a shooting range carries the same penalty as trafficking cocaine!

THAT's what my question was getting at. If they have to do background checks for ammo, then it will only work if they cut off supplies and prevent people from making their own ammo...

Yep, unfortunately, too many people say their vote don't count or they want to make a stand and vote independent. Therefore, putting liberals in office....

If you don't vote your vote won't count. If you don't want to protect your rights then don't vote but then sit down and shut up

If you don't vote your vote won't count. If you don't want to protect your rights then don't vote but then sit down and shut up

Looks like you california folks have more problems than just counting liberals and conservatives! Looking at the proposed bill, the list of those supporting the bill appears to have the mayors of every major city that I am familiar with. Now what mayor in their right mind would want to be singled out and portrayed as the only mayor in california who doesn't care about human lives? I'll wager there are those who don't really favor the bill BUT will gladly put their names on the list of supporters to keep from being one of those "bad mayors"

Read it, thought about it, reloading will be next, glad i'm not in CA. I believe reloading is safe for now. Recently while at a large big box outdoor store I witnessed two folks from CA load up on all kinds of ammo, they told me this was on its way. Pass the word....VOTE and unelect!

Snakebite

+1

Looks like you california folks have more problems than just counting liberals and conservatives! Looking at the proposed bill, the list of those supporting the bill appears to have the mayors of every major city that I am familiar with. Now what mayor in their right mind would want to be singled out and portrayed as the only mayor in california who doesn't care about human lives? I'll wager there are those who don't really favor the bill BUT will gladly put their names on the list of supporters to keep from being one of those "bad mayors"

Nonsense.

Living in Ca. I have been watching this very closely. But, if you read the proposed bill, it pertains to "ammo sales". There is no mention of "reloading" your own ammo. This would most likely not pass without a long legal battle because you cannot ban the reloading components such as brass, bullets, and equipment. They tried to ban powder sales awhile back and it failed given that smokeless powder is classified as extremely flammable by the federal government and not an explosive. Black powder is but it in a different class and mostly pertains to "antique firearms" which are all legal in Ca. Besides, there are more gun owners and advocates in Ca. than most realize. There has been over a half a dozen of these types of bills to go before the state Senate in the past couple of years and not one of them has passed. Its like the federal government right now. The uber liberals may be in the big house and they make a lot of noise but we still have our supporters in the Senate. Still the liberals are chipping away at our 2nd ammendment rights. Hopefully, with the help of the NRA, we can keep them at bay. W. L.

CA sounds bad but in NY you can't even get ammo shipped to you directly. You must have it shipped to an FFL and then pick it up from him and most FFL's will charge a modest fee for this, And once the full force of the NYSAFE act goes into effect there will be paper work for the FFL to fill out and the fee will go up. There are many companies that will not even ship to NY such as Cheaper Than Dirt.

In NJ, Internet purchase of factory ammunition, several of the box stores require that we send them a copy of our Firearms ID card that they keep on file for direct shipment store to our door

Reading CA Safety for All proposed law - I see no restrictions John Henry that will stop your stepfather from reloading. If he is selling reloaded ammunition - read the details of the law

In NJ, Internet purchase of factory ammunition, several of the box stores require that we send them a copy of our Firearms ID card that they keep on file for direct shipment store to our door

Reading CA Safety for All proposed law - I see no restrictions John Henry that will stop your stepfather from reloading. If he is selling reloaded ammunition - read the details of the law

I know that there is currently nothing in the "Safety for All" bill. I'm referring to what I believe will be the inevitable claims that it is a failure only because they aren't controlling reloading. In the words of Dianne Feinstein, "IT'S A LOOPHOLE!!!" Just one more step over the edge of that slippery slope...

They should make airing this video on the six o clock and 10 o clock news mandatory until the pinheads of this world finally realize that the "Bad guys" doing all the shooting and murdering ARE NOT the law abiding citizens who attend weekend shooting events or have a gun in their home for protection. I realize that not all bad guys get their ammo this way but a LOT do, a good percentage of them get their guns and ammo as shown in the second video below and until we get off this "Safety for all" BS and focus on the REAL problems, we will NEVER eradicate gun violence but the EASY road is to pass BS legislation like this because it's feel good legislation.

Here is the video that should be shown daily the interesting part begins at the 2:00 mark

Look how brazen this gang is, I didn't see one of them pull out an ID before leaving the store!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LoDiLSy3i8c

http://safetyforall.com/fulltext.htm

SECTION 1. Title.

This measure shall be known and may be cited as “The Safety for All Act of 2016.”

SEC. 2. Findings and Declarations.

The people of the State of California find and declare:

1. Gun violence destroys lives, families and communities. From 2002 to 2013, California lost 38,576 individuals to gun violence. That is more than seven times the number of U.S. soldiers killed in combat during the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan combined. Over this same period, 2,258 children were killed by gunshot injuries in California. The same number of children murdered in the Sandy Hook elementary school massacre are killed by gunfire in this State every 39 days.

2. In 2013, guns were used to kill 2,900 Californians, including 251 children and teens. That year, at least 6,035 others were hospitalized or treated in emergency rooms for non-fatal gunshot wounds, including 1,275 children and teens.

3. Guns are commonly used by criminals. According to the California Department of Justice, in 2014 there were 1,169 firearm murders in California, 13,546 armed robberies involving a firearm, and 15,801 aggravated assaults involving a firearm.

4. This tragic violence imposes significant economic burdens on our society. Researchers conservatively estimate that gun violence costs the economy at least $229 billion every year, or more than $700 per American per year. In 2013 alone, California gun deaths and injuries imposed $83 million in medical costs and $4.24 billion in lost productivity.

5. California can do better. Reasonable, common-sense gun laws reduce gun deaths and injuries, keep guns away from criminals and fight illegal gun trafficking. Although California has led the nation in gun safety laws, those laws still have loopholes that leave communities throughout the state vulnerable to gun violence and mass shootings. We can close these loopholes while still safeguarding the ability of law-abiding, responsible Californians to own guns for self-defense, hunting and recreation.

6. We know background checks work. Federal background checks have already prevented more than 2.4 million gun sales to convicted criminals and other illegal purchasers in America. In 2012 alone, background checks blocked 192,043 sales of firearms to illegal purchasers including 82,000 attempted purchases by felons. That means background checks stopped roughly 225 felons from buying firearms every day. Yet California law only requires background checks for people who purchase firearms, not for people who purchase ammunition. We should close that loophole.

7. Right now, any violent felon or dangerously mentally ill person can walk into a sporting goods store or gun shop in California and buy ammunition, no questions asked. That should change. We should require background checks for ammunition sales just like gun sales, and stop both from getting into the hands of dangerous individuals.

8. Under current law, stores that sell ammunition are not required to report to law enforcement when ammunition is lost or stolen. Stores should have to report lost or stolen ammunition within 48 hours of discovering that it is missing so law enforcement can work to prevent that ammunition from being illegally trafficked into the hands of dangerous individuals.

9. Californians today are not required to report lost or stolen guns to law enforcement. This makes it difficult for law enforcement to investigate crimes committed with stolen guns, break-up gun trafficking rings, and return guns to their lawful owners. We should require gun owners to report their lost or stolen guns to law enforcement.

10. Under current law, people who commit felonies and other serious crimes are prohibited from possessing firearms. Yet existing law provides no clear process for those people to relinquish their guns when they become prohibited at the time of conviction. As a result, in 2014, the Department of Justice identified more than 17,000 people who possess more than 34,000 guns illegally, including more than 1,400 assault weapons. We need to close this dangerous loophole by not only requiring prohibited people to turn in their guns, but also ensuring that it happens.

11. Military-style large-capacity ammunition magazines – some capable of holding more than 100 rounds of ammunition – significantly increase a shooter’s ability to kill a lot of people in a short amount of time. That is why these large capacity ammunition magazines are common in many of America’s most horrific mass shootings, from the killings at 101 California Street in San Francisco in 1993 to Columbine High School in 1999 to the massacre at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Connecticut in 2012.

12. Today, California law prohibits the manufacture, importation and sale of military-style, large capacity ammunition magazines, but does not prohibit the general public from possessing them. We should close that loophole. No one except trained law enforcement should be able to possess these dangerous ammunition magazines.

13. Although the State of California conducts background checks on gun buyers who live in California, we have to rely on other states and the FBI to conduct background checks on gun buyers who live elsewhere. We should make background checks outside of California more effective by consistently requiring the State to report who is prohibited from possessing firearms to the federal background check system.

14. The theft of a gun is a serious and potentially violent crime. We should clarify that such crimes can be charged as felonies, and prevent people who are convicted of such crimes from possessing firearms.

SEC. 3. Purpose and Intent.

The people of the State of California declare their purpose and intent in enacting “The Safety For All Act of 2016” (the “Act”) to be as follows:

1. To implement reasonable and common-sense reforms to make California’s gun safety laws the toughest in the nation while still safeguarding the Second Amendment rights of all law-abiding, responsible Californians.

2. To keep guns and ammunition out of the hands of convicted felons, the dangerously mentally ill, and other persons who are prohibited by law from possessing firearms and ammunition.

3. To ensure that those who buy ammunition in California – just like those who buy firearms – are subject to background checks.

4. To require all stores that sell ammunition to report any lost or stolen ammunition within 48 hours of discovering that it is missing.

5. To ensure that California shares crucial information with federal law enforcement by consistently requiring the state to report individuals who are prohibited by law from possessing firearms to the federal background check system.

6. To require the reporting of lost or stolen firearms to law enforcement.

7. To better enforce the laws that require people to relinquish their firearms once they are convicted of a crime that makes them ineligible to possess firearms.

8. To make it illegal in California to possess the kinds of military-style ammunition magazines that enable mass killings like those at Sandy Hook Elementary School; a movie theater in Aurora, Colorado; Columbine High School; and an office building at 101 California Street in San Francisco, California.

9. To prevent people who are convicted of the theft of a firearm from possessing firearms, and to effectuate the intent of Proposition 47 that the theft of a firearm is felony grand theft, regardless of the value of the firearm, in alignment with sections 25400 and 1192.7 of the Penal Code.

Joe, I'm not quite sure where you are getting all of your information and maybe it is a county regulation but having more than one family member in law enforcement, I know that if you have a gun stolen or if it comes up missing, you must report it to law enforcment within ten days.

Joe, I'm not quite sure where you are getting all of your information and maybe it is a county regulation but having more than one family member in law enforcement, I know that if you have a gun stolen or if it comes up missing, you must report it to law enforcment within ten days.

That is straight off the website Newsome has pushing his abomination. I think the bill making reporting a requirement statewide has stalled in the Legislature.

Archived