SASS Wire Forum

Separated case .38 in a '73

Yusta B.

Heard about them, never saw one till last Sat. It was mine & it sure locks up a rifle quick. Was working on it at home & eventually found an easy way, in my case, to remove the broken case half. Remove side plates & links, bolt and FP extension. Insert a .45 bronze bore brush from breech end into chamber so that at least 1/2 of it goes in past the case end toward the muzzle. Pull out the bore brush & the separated case comes with it, at least mine did.

Brass case & no cannelure.

D.C. - just the rifle - still shoot big bullet pistols .... :D :D

Shotgun Boogie got a special tool for that.

those "tools" won't work on all split cases... just saying...

Tissue paper method?????????????

Yup. Here's how it works:

With the action closed and the piece of broken brass in the chamber, begin by putting wadded up pieces of tissue or toilet paper down the barrel and tamping them down tightly with a squib rod making sure that the first few pieces of tissue paper pass through the broken brass. the wadded tissue should be snug in the bore to start. Tap hard and seat the paper down in the chamber then flatten each piece as much as possible.I tap until I the paper feels hard to the strike. repeat this step as many times as needed to fill the chamber well past the mouth of the broken brass. Once you are sure you have it all tamped tightly, insert the squib rod, open the action, and begin lightly tapping the rod. If enough tissue paper was used and it was tamped tightly enough, the paper will have created a "slug" of paper that captures the broken piece of brass. gently tapping the squib rod will cause the paper and the broken piece of brass to come out. Works great if you're in the middle of a match and you get a separated case. hit the latrine and get some toilet paper and grab your squib rod. (you do have a squib rod, right?) and you can extract that little trouble maker.

I've had success using cheap toilet paper (1 ply) and tissue paper from a gift bag. multi-ply toilet paper will work, but you have to separate the ply's and do them one by one in order to get a tight enough slug. It can take a couple of tries to get it to work. Anything with a lotion in it will not work at all. paper towels don't seem to work either - at least not for me.

Using nothing but paper and a brass squib rod, there's zero chance of scratching the chamber or the bore. Just make sure the bore is clear of obstructions before trying to fire the rifle!

Howdy,

Case removal tool? where?

Best

CR

Shotgun Boogie or Lassiter both have them. Maybe others too.

You can email Lassister at lassiter45@aol.com or call 937-687-1039

Boogie's website ... http://www.sbgwllc.com/collections/misc

But like Cheyenne said, they don't always work.

I spoke to Lassiter last week and he is out of them. Doesn't know when he will have time to make any more, but not in the near term.

I'm on the list for two!

Just a suggestion. Check the rifle for excess headspace. I've seen several rifles that were prone to case separations and all of them had excess headspace more than .008".

If it does, call the maker of your short stroke links and see if they have a remedy for you.

Just a suggestion. Check the rifle for excess headspace. I've seen several rifles that were prone to case separations and all of them had excess headspace more than .008".

If it does, call the maker of your short stroke links and see if they have a remedy for you.

Will do, thanks.

Update: Looks to be .004-.005

This is a Cody rifle with standard links.

And I was doing so well. First time it ever happened to me. Ragged break too. Tried too hard to come back and had a terrible 2nd day. New brass for EoT!!!

Archived