SASS Wire Forum

Lets talk .22 Rimfire: 22 CB vs. .22 Quiet

I really enjoy shooting (plinking) with .22's.

Where I live allows me to shoot most anytime but I do prefer to keep some of my shooting to a low key, if you know what I mean. Especially when I'm shooting off my back deck.

Anyhow, I shoot a lot of the CCI CB Short and the CCI "Quiet", in both the Henry 'short' barrel and my Winchester 9422 with its 20" barrel.

With my hearing aids in both ears set at normal hearing freqs, I think BOTH of these rounds sound the same, pertaining to loudness (or lack thereof).

My unscientific test seem to discern NO noise level differences between the CB caps and the Quiet ammo.

The QUIET is rated at 710 fps with a 40 gr bullet.

The CB Short is also rated at 710 fps with a 29 gr. bullet.

I think the 40 gr. QUIET is more accurate and seems to cycle a little better thru both lever action rifles.

I haven't done any testing with pistols..... YET.

Neither will cycle a semi-auto like the Marlin 60 or Ruger 10/22. And my Savage Tactical bolt doesn't seem to like the CB Short's.

For some nice quiet entertainment on a nice warm Sunday in the South, having a good lever action with a good supply of CCI 'QUIET' ammo is fun.

..........Widder

Try shooting them out of a 24" its quieter than my sons daisy red rider

Not familiar with the "Quiet," but I have shot a bunch of the CCI CB Longs. I suspect they're the same animal...

And Evil's right - when I shoot 'em out of my fairly heavy-barreled MAS 45 it won't even attract attention. I used to sit in my dining room with the door open and shoot ground squirrels in the garden and wood pile. They never noticed a thing! (Except the ones who were hit ^_^ )

First one my best friend shot, he stopped, dismounted the rifle's bolt and run a cleaning rod through the barrel.

He didn't think it cleared the bore, it was so quiet.

I too have shot many of them and love them.

Stealth is good!

]

Aquila (sp) has atleast 2 types of the 'no noise' type .22 ammo.

One is specified mainly for rifle while the other is mainly for pistols.

I tried some of the Pistol stuff in my rifle once and guess what........... a couple of them didn't make it out the barrel.

So, if you ever buy the Aquila brand, make sure you get the type you prefer for pistol or rifle.

The rifle will work good in the pistol but in my experience, it was louder.

EDIT: one more thing..... the Aquila don't seem to feed as well in my lever rifles as the CCI stuff. I think it has to do with the bullet style.

..........Widder

I use Remington Sub-Sonic 38gr .22LR in a scoped Mossberg 151M to dispatch live-trapped varmints (e.g. skunks) here in town.

One well-placed head shot keeps them from spraying.

Quiet enough that it won't disturb the neighbors or their dogs.

For the "catch & release" advocates...relocating wildlife without a permit is "more illegal" than discharging a firearm within the city limits.

383954.jpg

Widder , was that Aquila ammo that you were using the "Colibri" with a bullet kinda like a pellet? I shot some of those a few years back that I couldn't hear over the sound of the hammer fall on the Low-Wall that I shot them out of. But they wouldn't penetrate well enough to shoot even small varmints with. Maybe mice.

I used an old piece of carpet for a backstop inside a big cardboard box , and had my granddaughter shooting bullseye targets in my back yard in Utah.

22s are smilemakers , in just about any platform. Rex :D

My son is a buckaroo. Last year he was using the CCI quiet in his pistols and Henry lever. It was tough, with ear plugs, for anyone to hear them let alone spot them hitting the targets. Very low noise ammo for sure.

Widder , was that Aquila ammo that you were using the "Colibri" with a bullet kinda like a pellet? I shot some of those a few years back that I couldn't hear over the sound of the hammer fall on the Low-Wall that I shot them out of. But they wouldn't penetrate well enough to shoot even small varmints with. Maybe mice.

I used an old piece of carpet for a backstop inside a big cardboard box , and had my granddaughter shooting bullseye targets in my back yard in Utah.

22s are smilemakers , in just about any platform. Rex :D

Howdy REX.

YES, the Colibri.

I've had about 2 cartons (about 1000 rounds) of them for a couple years and really don't like them. You are right about the noise of the hammer fall is louder.

..........Widder

Archived