SASS Wire Forum

Mec 9000

Red Cent

The depriming and resizing apparatus is locking up the Mec. Almost everytime, the handle stops in the horizontal position. A light up and down movement of an inch or so and it will finally continue. I removed the apparatus and smoothed anything that looked sharp or had a possible burr. Lubricated it, put it back and it is still locking up.

Any opinions?

I use a Pacific/Hornady 336. I've had that happen a couple of times. Different press, but could be same reason. A piece of shot got lodged in shell plate, underneath it, (where not easily seen) blocking it.

The lifter in the sizing collet is suppose to be dry and clean, not lubed. Sounds like the lifter is not going down to the bottom every time. If you really need help a phone call to MEC can be your best bet. Or you can go to Shotgunworld.com and read or post in the reloading forum for the best advice.

Lifter is not dropping down or you have shot smashed in to the hull rim slot in the bottom of the sizer.

Remove it from the machine and using a light look for lead flakes in the groove.

This condition will stop the hull rim from going fully in to the groove and stop the sizer from closing.

Handle stops about 1/2 way through stroke.

or the sizer is just barely out of adjustment. that can cause this. on occassion the sizer on my 9000 will do the same thing.It's usually an errant piece of shot makes it wat down there, or the collet doesn't drop completely. I had to totally disassemble the collet to get it working back when I got my 9000.

ive MEC a call, they'll move heaven and earth to get you up and running. Fine folks!

I removed the collett along with the other items associated. I cleaned everything out, rinsed with cutting oil, wiped everything down and re-installed the parts. Put a little anti-seize stuff on the outside of the fingers of the collett and still does it.

I will check the shell lifter in the morning. Maybe make a call to Mec.

I fight with mine often with this problem.. only thing I don't like about the 9000... have had it apart way way too many times!! and can never figure out just exactly what fixes it!!

Try this link for information might find solution..... I use the help guides often. DD

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=148737

Yes it is. Thanks.

When I closed the reloading shop last night, I was a little ticked. This morning, I went to the shop, put hulls in some stations and................it worked. No catch. No click. I was ready to do battle.
Now we will see how long the Mec runs. FYI, the Mec ain't mine. We set it up to get it running. I have an old Mec manual progressive :) that has been a great reloader. And just to left of the Mec 600 is a Ponsness-Warren 800 Plus.

Apparently Mec went to the same school that the Lee Pro 1000 people attended. There are a few items that are in dire danger when one has an 18" lever to lower. For instance, the wad guide is very flimsy. And the "ball index" is kinda funny at first but it works. But the collet thing seems to be an intricate device compared to the simplicity of the Mec 600 resizer. Have not looked at it hard but why didn't they automate the 600?

Gotta go load some shotgun shells. Thanks folks.

I went out and oiled mine,, the shaft, and a lil on the collett and such,,,, works so much easier!!! once in a while the new empty wont fall all the way down to resize and I have to wiggle it,,, I can live with that, for now

Loaded up 100 rounds without a lot of grief!

I gave up with the sizer on the Grabber. Bought the SizeMaster (yes I know, same damn thing) and do the sizing of the base with SizeMaster w/o issues. tried every adjustment on the Grabber possible, finally backed off all adjustments of the Grabber sizer and all that station does now is deprime. Go figure.

And my Grabber sizes better than even a standalone Super Sizer. Can't complain myself.

Sometimes you just get a press that has a bad part or bad tolerances.

Good luck, GJ

I have loaded tens of thousands of shotshells on my 4 MEC 9000's. The Shotgunworld link from Driftwood is right on. In fact I use that forum almost as much as This one. Great info and advice for loaders.

When you are having issues with these machines most of the time it is a simple minor adjustment or a piecework shot or two getting crushed in the collet. While the concept of these presses is pretty simple you have a lot of things going on at the same time and being clean and in proper adjustment is key. Before any session I always take ten minutes to be sure everything is right before cranking away.

The other thing in my opinion is that if you load a few shells once in a while it is hard to pinpoint the little issues that are quite normal. I use them so much it is just second nature to me. I think these are great presses that will give years of great service.

Archived