SASS Wire Forum

Couple of New Shooter Questions

Slate

Hi all,

I'm brand new to SASS (but I've been shooting SAAs since I was a kid), and have a couple of quick questions.

I'd appreciate some suggestions and sources for a lace up recoil pad for my old Stevens 311.

Also, some suggestions for holding shot shells; I've seen bandoliers, sliders, separate shotshell belts. I'm not going for speed, I'd just like something that works reasonable well at a decent price.

TIA, I'm sure I'll have a lot more questions in the near future.

Best regards,

Any number of sources have lace-up buttstock covers... (although why one would want lace on a butt-stock escapes me)... :P:D

Bandoleers are a love/hate thing. You either love 'em... or can't stand the sight of 'em. I much prefer a slide on my pistol belt. Mine holds six, usually enough for a stage. But I have a shotgun belt for those times when you just KNOW 6 ain't gonna cut it!

A slide is usually inexpensive, and until you've been to a few matches, and get an idea about YOUR technique, will suffice. I'm no speed demon, so the slight time differential between dropping my weak hand down to my belt to retrieve a couple of shells is no big deal... some feel that a bandoleer is the cats meow because their hand doesn't have to drop as far to retrieve those shells.

You have a tremendous resource close by in the Clubs of Southern California.

I would recommend that you go to clubs and try out the equipment you like. (Cowboy/Cowgirls love to let you try out equipment)

There is a great shoot coming in a couple of weeks at Norco, California - Thecowboys.com

Stop by and watch and ask questions.......

See ya there partner.

Most folks wear a gunbelt with cartridge holders attached in various ways and a separate shotshell belt worn around the waist above the gunbelt. Personally I prefer holsters, cartridge holders, and shotshell loops all on one belt; I don't like clutter. 8 shotshell loops minimum. I have only been shooting for a year but it seem that the only ones wearing bandoleers, etc., are shooting in specialized categories.

There are many excellent vendors selling reasonably priced belts online; search the Wire and you will quickly find their web addresses. As I said I've only been shooting for a year but I reckon I'm on my 3rd or 6th belt. Best thing you can do is get to a match and see what people are doing before you decide, and get some advice. Also if you can get to a state, regional, or other big meet that's where the major vendors are and you can look, feel, and try on to your heart's content. Do these things before you buy. Good luck and welcome to the Fun!

Yep, get to a match to talk to shooters and see they like and use. 90%-plus use a separate shotshell belt.

A slider works okay but hangs kind of low. They are a low-cost option. I take one to every match as a backup for me or another shooter. It makes some sense to start with one until you decide about a belt.

The length of pull on a stock 311 is pretty long. Adding a cover to the butt will only make it longer. They are very handy for covering up a buttstock that has been trimmed. They look pretty cool also.

Come out to Norco May 20-22 for the Ambush At Mill Creek and you'll see every type of shot shell holder that's been made. Knights Leather may be there and if so Nick will answer all of your questions. If you get a chance on Saturday and Sunday when the match is being shot come over and watch what's going on and ask a few questions, we'd be glad to have you.

?..Also, some suggestions for holding shot shells; I've seen bandoliers, sliders, separate shotshell belts. I'm not going for speed, I'd just like something that works reasonable well at a decent price

Holster belt with shotgun loops. Wear the buckle to the rear.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. My GF and I were out observing at "The Cowboys" match a couple of weeks ago and I had a chance to talk to a few of the members; I plan to visit again for the big match at the end of the month.

Best regards,

To get started the slides are probably the least expensive and fairly versatile. You can wear them on your gun belt either in front between your holsters or just behind each holster this would work better if you wear your holsters in front of your hips. If you want to try a shot gun belt simply put the slide(s) on a separate belt above your gun belt. You could even sling a longer belt over your shoulder to try a bandoleer, but the slides would have to fit the belt tightly to keep from sliding.

As others have said ask around at matches most shooters have rigs they have retired for one reason or another that they might lend you to try out and if you like they would probably sell relatively cheaply.

Hope this helps,

Smoke

Best lace on recoil pad/butt covers I have found

Kick Killer® Recoil Pads

+1

Welcome!! Get ready to have some fun!

After shooting a few matches, I've found that skinny-no-belly guys can use the sliders on their holster belts effectively.

My gun belt slides down so low it is hard for me to quickly see and get to the shotgun shells in my temporary non-sass slider on my gun belt.

Thus, I will either need to start doing more situps and eating like my Doctor recommends... No food that ends with "os" or "as" or "es".

No Tacos, Fritos, Burritos, Enchiladas, Tostadas, Quesadillas, Tortillas, Tamales, etc.

Which is almost impossible to do if you live in Texas.

So, I will be looking for a shotgun belt or separate belt with a slider to wear higher up where I can see the shotgun shells.

Or, do they make suspenders for gun belts? Haha

I, too, endorse the Kick Killer® Recoil Pads,

As to shotshell holders, I like the belt slide. Mine hold 8 shells; I have a shotshell belt if I need more than that, but just don't like wearing the extra belt if I don't need to.

Something you might want to consider, since you're shooting a double, is the double loop type of holder. They hold 2 shells together, allowing them to be pulled as a pair, great for doubles. Individual loops are OK, but the shells are a little farther apart, and sometimes one can hang just a bit if pulling two at a time.

Hit I had a dollar for everytime I offer this up to a new shooter I could buy lunch every month it seems. Don't do like I did for several reasons first it's takes a lot of money and you loose much of it. When I started back Xmas of 2004 I found that there was a club in town but they shot the first Saturday of the month and that was either New Year's Eve or day so they didn't shoot. I ordered the gun I thought I wanted from the outdoor Rec ffl on base. I ordered two Ruger valuing 44 Mag as I had a RedHawks and the reloading gear for that caliber I also ordered a Marlin 1894 in 44 Mag to go with both the vaqueros for CAS and the RedHawks for trail use. I had a norinco hammered 12 ga SxS. What came in was 45 colt vaqueros shorter than what I wanted and a Henry big boy in 45 colt the order was confused a bit. I was given a great deal if I bought them so I did. Meanwhile there was a set of 357/38 gw ii and a navy arms 92 in 357/38 at a great price I thought. Then another shooter was selling his wife's guns a pair of Ruger Bisley BCH in 51/2" that I fell in love with the rifle was a Marlin 38 spc cowboy comp that I regretted passing on. So be for the first match I had two or three sets of guns leather I made myself. After the first match I traded the gw and Ruger 45s in on a set of Ruger Bisley 45s ss51/2". After a couple of months I decided on getting and keeping two sets of Ruger Bisleys 51/2" one ss and one BCH all in 45 colt. I picket up a 73 in 45 colt and within a year had a Marlin in 45 colt. I regretted going with the 45s for several reasons cost is the main.at one time I was able to shoot in any main match category plus plains main. I had to sell the Marlin when I was broke down on the highway to pay for repairs. I regretted selling it. I just replaced the Marlin with the most sout out model I beleive a 1894 38 soc cowboy comp model. Be here next week. Only other CAS gun I'm wanting is a sharps.

Now here is what I advise new shooter to do.

Show up at monthly club shoots with money and common ammo 12ga win aa low recoil low noise shotshells and cowboy ammo in 38 spc and 45 colt if possible. Try all the guns and leather you can at each monthly shoot for four or five different ones. Try leather from all makers and prices even if it is something you will never be able to afford, try each gun stock and race ready so you can understand what the difference is, try Rugers, try SAAs by the iltialian s and by USA makers. Try each toggle link rifle(1860,1866&1873) 1892 all by Winchester or there clones then try the Marlin 1894. Next come shotguns try SxS but lightweight models and the heavy models, try 97 both originals and clones same with the 1887s. Shotgun best caliber to start with is 12ga. For the pistol and rifle try to keep them in the same caliber 32s, 38s, 38-40, 44-40, 44, or 45s. The 38 s will be the most easy and economical of the calibers. The try traditional holster and bascadaro holster sets to see which you want to start off with. If your shooting classic cowboy you'll need a traditional holster rig and if your shooting bwestern you'll need A bascadaro or drop loop rig. The other categories don't care.try a shotgun slide on you holster belt then try a dedicated shotgun belt try both single loop and double loop setups, now that you basically tried everything normally used in or game and decided which feels the best to you. You start buying your gear. Buy the best you can afford and buy it once. After you get you guns and leather you'll need a gun cart that you may find for sale at your club or online like the rugged gun carts.after that your reloading gear will be need aquiring as you can not afford to shoot factory ammo at each match unless you only shoot once or twice a year. Your clothes are the easiest unless you. Shoot one of the dress categories.

Thanks again for the help and advise.

I'm pretty much locked in on 45 Colt, which include some Colt SAAs and USFAs that I already have in that caliber; and an old Ranger branded Stevens 311. I also just picked up a Rossi 92 in 45 Colt off of the Wire Classified.

I have no interest in speed or shooting modified "race preped" guns, or extra light loads; I just want to make some noise, have some fun, and shoot my Colt SAAs which I've enjoyed shooting most of my life. I'll probably shoot duelist, and maybe I'll load up some BP in the Colts on occasion, and I'll probably break out some of the earlier SAAs once in a while. I just want to relax, slow down and have some fun; I'll leave the record times and trophies to others to compete for.

Best regards,

Sportsman's Guide sells a shotgun belt that will work for our game. Perhaps not as stylish as those custom made, but the price is reasonable and it functions well.

Item # WX2-666079

Duffield

A used shotgun belt of some kind is what you probably want then. You'll find one at a shoot you go to eventually but if you need to purchase a "jack of all trades" belt right now a basic canvas belt with a lot of loops tightly spaced so you can just put shells wherever you like works well. They have short loops because the shells are impossible to pull if they go any farther into a loop than that and a leather stop strip on the bottom to keep them up where you can grab them. For literally just a few dollars more you can also get the belt made with some cartridge loops for your 45 on one side or the other of the shotgun loops... saving you from needing any slides at all on your gunbelt. Belt should run you somewhere around $75 +/- some. You can spend almost that much on slides in a blink and this will work better.

For specific styles of shooting or faster pulls more specific belts are better (double leather loops, elastic loops, etc.) but one of these canvas belts will last you forever and work average for everything.

Here's a sample pic I found in a few seconds of searching. I have one just like it in the bottom of my leather bag, made by someone else years ago.

http://www.jaxleather.com/Shotgun%20loops%20w%20lthr%20stop%20-%20Lg.jpg

Thanks again for the help and advise.

I'm pretty much locked in on 45 Colt, which include some Colt SAAs and USFAs that I already have in that caliber; and an old Ranger branded Stevens 311. I also just picked up a Rossi 92 in 45 Colt off of the Wire Classified.

I have no interest in speed or shooting modified "race preped" guns, or extra light loads; I just want to make some noise, have some fun, and shoot my Colt SAAs which I've enjoyed shooting most of my life. I'll probably shoot duelist, and maybe I'll load up some BP in the Colts on occasion, and I'll probably break out some of the earlier SAAs once in a while. I just want to relax, slow down and have some fun; I'll leave the record times and trophies to others to compete for.

Best regards,

Colts are the worst possible choice of gun you can choose in this game, especially with black powder. I'll tell you what, I'll trade you for them and you'll be much better setup. Nah, I'm just kidding. If you want to shoot duelist and BP, colts really are the way to go. You get style points in shooting the original gun in the original caliber, plus the grip is just made to fit a one handed shooter like a glove. And I find the recoil with BP is much nicer than even middle of the road 45 Colt smokeless loads

Thanks all for all the help and the warm welcome.

I'm new to SASS, but not to shooting, SAAs (and other guns) and reloading, so I'll try to return the favors by contributing where I can.

Best regards,

...Show up at monthly club shoots with money and common ammo 12ga win aa low recoil low noise shotshells and cowboy ammo in 38 spc and 45 colt if possible. ...

While this is good advice don't be surprised if the cowboy loaning out the firearms will only let you us his reloads.

It's not personal, it's more a matter of safety. He know what went into them and he is confident about them going 'bang' and not 'boom.

Brand new shotgun shells (low noise, low recoil--Feather Lites) on the other hand should be good to go as most don't reload shotgun shells

cr

Thanks all for all the help and the warm welcome.

I'm new to SASS, but not to shooting, SAAs (and other guns) and reloading, so I'll try to return the favors by contributing where I can.

Best regards,

You will find yourself returning the favor down the road.

Right now, just listen to everyone, filter their words through a filter of common sense, watch what the good shooters do, and above all, have fun.

An extra hand is always appreciated on the ranch/range. :)

I have a nice belt with about 20 loops for shotshells on it. It's a very nice belt, and I don't use it all that often. I shoot all brass shells, and they fit just a little more snugly than plastic plastic ones, so they don't come out as quickly. So, I went back to just a simple open pouch on my pistol belt that I reach in and grab shells out of. With a little practice, I got to be reasonably quick with this method.

I have a nice belt with about 20 loops for shotshells on it. It's a very nice belt, and I don't use it all that often. I shoot all brass shells, and they fit just a little more snugly than plastic plastic ones, so they don't come out as quickly. So, I went back to just a simple open pouch on my pistol belt that I reach in and grab shells out of. With a little practice, I got to be reasonably quick with this method.

I hope it has a flap.

Archived