SASS Wire Forum

Ah seem to fit more Powder and shot in my 16 Ga. shells than more than one feller seems ta be able to handle in his 10 Ga. ...

I have been known to Knock-down non Knock-down targets more that a few times ....

And da .38-40 has more room fer Holy Black Powder than the .44 mag. case ........................

As fer da shoot at da Hat ,,,,,,, I ain't got No loads worked up fer my bottom feeder ,,,,,,, And I don't borrow  guns or Ammo ....

Sides it was a blowing up a storm,,, and I am at best only mildly annoyed at WB taking up time better spent having COWBOY side Matches....

I might try WB on a nice day in the future,,,,, But it doesn't turn my crank very far ......

I would far and Away prefer to see Cowboy long range matches for Single Shots in both pistol caliber and in Rifle Caliber .....

Also lever action Long range in both pistol and rifle calibers  ....

Been thinking of using my Low wall in .38-40 to take a deer next month, with my match loads ...

Now don't choke on yer coffee  an peach cobbler .........

Jabez Cowboy

• Like 1

Rainin in Middle Tennessee, hope it puts a damper on the rukus that may occur here later today. Id rather be cowboy shootin. 

Yall stay off the lawn

Imis

Well....... as long as yore using Holy Black in that .38-40 and the 16 ga, we'll let you off. (Says he, [jealously], who switched to smokieless 'cause he was too tired to clean 'em up when he got home!)

That .38-40 should work just fine on deer. I took one, close in, with my Yellow Boy in .45 Colt a few years ago, so that .38-40 should take care of business, no problem.

I managed to get a young buck, with my .45-70 hi-wall. That one was a BANG-FLOP at a bit over 75 yards!!

I hear ya on WB. I only shoot the one WB match annually: The Upper and Lower Canada Wild Bunch Match, usually held at The Grenville Fish and Game Club, hosted by The Wild Turkey Posse and Yorkshire Bob. Got all the gear, just haven't the interest.

We've had a few Buffalo Rifle matches over the years, shooting at 100 and 200 yard gongs. Had a lot of fun with that.

10 Freestyle; 10 Kneeling and 5 Standing (Those Sharps start to gain weight when you shoot standing!)

BANG..................(wait for it)...............CLANG! Trajectory on those .45-70's is like a rainbow!!

We limited the pistol calibre rifles to 100 yards and they did quite well.

Anyway, GET OFF THE LAWN!

Dang mower is in the repair shop. Right front wheel height adjustment has gone for walk-about and between my arthritis and the time needed to find the right parts to fix it, I just said (*^*&^%$%#!%) For $25.00? Here! You Do It!

Jabez, if you had been shooting in the Hat a bit more often, you would have noticed that in order to make everybody happy that long range side matches are held at the spring match & WB in the fall. I expect to seen you with your .45-70 in the spring, you old grump!

DDD;

I was in Africa last May ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

My High Wall is in .45-70 improved ,,,, .40-65 ...

Ah does have a Marlin 1895 in .45-70 and two .38-55s for lever gun matches ...

I placed 6th. at 2016 Winter Range in long range lever action pistol caliber , I was using my .45 Colt ,1892 with 270 gr. bullets over a full case of 3F Goex ...

I was the only Holy Black shooter in the Top 10 ....

Jabez Cowboy

Cold Lake Kid

I shot a Whitetail with my Uberti 66 in .45 colt using my main match loads ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, DRT.

This was at 85 yards.

I also used my High Wall in .40-65 to take a Mulie at 160 yards with my long range  load ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, DRT.

And now I'm trying to decide if I should use my 66 Sporting rifle or my Low Wall, both in .38 WCF (.38-40) to take a deer this fall...

Using My Cowboy match ammo of course ....

I have used My Marlin 1895 to take deer as well as using it as a back-up gun for Toothy Critters ...

Now all Ya grumps ,,,,, Wake Up ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, and drink some coffee ....

Jabez Cowboy

You're doing better than I did and at longer ranges!

I was in a small clearing in the bush for the '66's blooding and the.45-70's big chance was in an old Lanark County pasture, going back to bush.

Well it looks like I'll be hunting the late Elk season Dec 10-19th if I want an Elk. :angry:  But on the plus side I was in Calgary yesterday to meet with the surgeon who did my HIPC surgery last Oct and everything looks good.  Still no sign of cancer anywhere so It's hard to be to grumpy! :D

GB

Page 3 ,,,,,,,,,,,,,, that makes me Grumpy ....

Or maybe I was always Grumpy ....

Coffee fer da Grumps

Jabez Cowboy

Free range, antibiotic and artificial hormone free meat hanging.

Got out the knives, zip-lock bags and the power grinder.

Still one more tag to fill.

Got another one down and into the freezer!

Still have a couple of other pards tags to fill and a week yet to go!

Edited by Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474

12 hours ago, Jabez Cowboy,SASS # 50129 said:

Well were is all the rest of da Grumps ????

Coffee and Pumpkin Pie fer da Grumps

Jabez Cowboy

I've been out calling coyotes and doing some scouting for White Tail season which opens Nov 20th.  They're starting to move some here.  Rut should be in full swing by the time the season starts.  Since it's Sunday I get a day off to watch the Rough Riders & Red Blacks game.  I'll decide if I'm grumpy or not after the games over.  :)    

GB

4 hours ago, Jabez Cowboy,SASS # 50129 said:

Done busted up my right Knee, going ta see da Doctor this afternoon ...

Coffee fer da Grumps

Jabez Cowboy

Jabez hopefully your knee is not to bad!! Take it easy and get well soon, I'll say a prayer or two to help speed the healing process.

GB

How the Heck did you do that Jabez?

Sounds sore.

Do ya want to borrow some of my knee braces?

Pards Thanks  for your concern...

Doc. says I should heal up Ok , he gave me some meds. and sent me on my way ...

Says it might be a little slow to heal ,,,, several months ....

Jabez Cowboy

As fer Knee braces I just happen to have a couple ,,,,, I was going to take them to Uganda .

I guess I can use one fer a time ....

Coffee fer da Grumps ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, but you are going to have to serve yer selves.

Jabez Cowboy

Glad it isnt too serious. Im out of orange juice, dont like coffee and grumpy cause I gotta go to the store. 

Yall stay of the lawn, somebody closer get Jabez another cup of coffee.

Imis

shooting in TN this weekend, barring rain.  tee hee

11 hours ago, Jabez Cowboy,SASS # 50129 said:

Pards Thanks  for your concern...

Doc. says I should heal up Ok , he gave me some meds. and sent me on my way ...

Says it might be a little slow to heal ,,,, several months ....

Jabez Cowboy

Well I'll just keep sending prayers and you take it easy on the knee.  Spring shooting season is at least several months away.  But when my friends are in pain it makes me Grumpy.  Now Get Off The Lawn, Yer Disterbin the Fresh Snow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Glad to hear you're back to your grumpy self Jabez. :P 

On the plus side I got a decent 4x4 White Tail yesterday in the first hour of my hunt.  As I was walking up to it I realized how lucky I was to be still able to enjoy the outdoors, gratitude for all the wonderful friends I have in CAS but mostly grateful that God decided to keep me here.  I don't think I've ever been so overcome with emotion.  Good thing there was just me and the big guy in the sky there at the time.

Think I'll go make snow angels on the lawn!! Any one want to join?     

Edited by Grey Beard

Chuck that almost makes me "Un-Grumpy" hearing about yer Hunt ... GOD BLESS !

If these winds keep it up I may soon be in SASK ...

Fresh Hot Coffee and I'll sneak a few Shortbread cookies, meant fer Christmas ....  She won't notice ,,,,,,,,,,,,,, I hope ...

Will be having a House full fer Christmas .....

Jabez Cowboy

All Rum does for me is make me Up-Chuck ....... Drink Rum ,,,,empty gut ,,,,,,

Now if I was a Drinking Man a little Scotch  might Help ...

Jabez Cowboy

NO, NO, NO! Coffee was made for Irish Whiskey.

You guys fussing about the snow, a fellar 2 miles south of me is baling hay today.

Hey Noz ;

Snows about gone from here fer Now ...

Have a cup of Coffee on me ...

Better yet come North and shoot with Us this summer ...

Jabez Cowboy

On 11/25/2017 at 1:47 PM, Noz said:

NO, NO, NO! Coffee was made for Irish Whiskey.

You guys fussing about the snow, a fellar 2 miles south of me is baling hay today.

A proper Irish Coffee is both Irish cream and Irish Whiskey....

18 hours ago, Red Eye Jim said:

A proper Irish Coffee is both Irish cream and Irish Whiskey....

Iffin you don't have the cream the whiskey works quite well.

So Jabez, is yore knee feeling better?

We don't have to put you out of yore misery (or ours?)

Kid ;

This old cripple went out this morning and Filled my Mulie Doe tag , got her skinned and hanging ....

Now I'm resting,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Didn't have to drag her more than 90 yards ....

Knee is getting better ,,,,,,,,,,,,, I think right now I ain't real sure ...

Coffee and Ginger Snaps fer da Grumps ...

Jabez Cowboy