SASS Wire Forum

Prayers up for Grey Beard and hisn'

Cowboy is over for 2016 here in Upper Canada.

Lookin' at deer season. The geese is flyin' around my ranch in big flocks and when I go by the local golf courses, I se the Floggers tippy toeing through the goose drops. LOL!

Finally feeling like I can safely handle a gun again and lookin' forward to trying my pair of new Open tops.

Have to make sure the deer rifle is shooting where I point it first.. Come on November 7

Oh! And 1859 post before the thread goes POOF!

New Open-Tops ?????

Let us here about them !!!

I just got a Mate for my Uberti 1872 Open-Top in .44 Spl. 7 1/2 inch with Navy Grips ,,,, So now I have "Buck" & "Boom" ...

I haven't had a chance to shoot "Boom" yet .... I have been shooting full case loads of 3f in "Buck" for the past 3 years ...

Our outdoor CAS season is done up here also ... So it's smokeless time for indoors ...

Jabez Cowboy

Hi Jabez

Granny and I made it back from Calgary about 8:30 last night. Thankfully someone had shoveled a path across our deck for us because there is 2 feet of frozen snow and ice on it. Pretty sore today but very happy with the way thing have gone so far, I'm out of hospital and back home a full 10 days than they had predicted and doing much better than predicted as well. Now we just need to wait until the biopsy results come back to see what the next steps are going to be. The surgeons said they were able to remove everything they could find so here's hoping there was nothing hiding anywhere.

Thanks for all of the prayers. GB

The new to me Open Tops are really new, tuned, matched pair of 1871's by Cimmaron/Uberti, in .45 Colt with 7 1/2" barrels.

The Pard who owned them first shot maybe 20 rounds out of each of them before he put them in his safe to languish. No drag lines on the cylinders or idiot marks. Yet. He just has too many CAS revolvers to play with them all and I was around to help him out!

Tried them with snap caps in the family room, pointing them at cabinet knobs and they seem to find the target on their own with those long barrels.

The action job on them is nice and slick. Takes a little getting used to with the higher hammer, compared to my SASS NMVaqueros, which I shoot regularly.

I still have to see what kind of load the open tops like. I have some 250 gr over a couple of Trail Boss charges, so we shall see what we will see. If I get real lucky, they'll like the same lighter load my little Spencer handles so well. Too bad it doesn't load 10 rounds. It would be fun to shoot Classic using the open tops and the Spencer, instead of the Yellow Boy!

Rained a bit here today; windy and warm (24°) as well. Temperature dropping overnight and cool the rest of the week, down to 4° or as high as 9° and no more rain, so I'm hoping to get out to the club and do some shooting with the .30-06, to make sure nothing has gone awry with the scope since it was put away. (Deer opens Nov 7 around here)

Later Jabez - you take care

Still praying for you and yours Grey Beard and remembering my days out west and north of you around Cold Lake/Grande Centre.

Hey Kid ;

Mine are Navy grip guns in .44 Spl. and I'm filling the case with 3F , like yours mine have 7 1/2 inch barrels ...

For shooting indoors this Winter I am trying a upper range load of Trail Boss under a 240gr. RNFP...

I am using my .38-40 66 with 3f under 180gr. RNFP bullets full case loads ,,, Or I am trying Trail Boss using the max Cowboy load in the Manuel ...

I'm still using my Husky under lever (made in 1884) or my other hammered doubles mostly loaded with Black ,,,,, but for indoors I'm using "Score" low recoil ...

Grey Beard , Keep up the fine job you are doing of healing and we will shoot together down the road a spell ,...

Give Granny a Hug ...

Jabez Cowboy

Imis;

It was only 70 here today SO ,,,,,,,,,, Yes I'll keep it up here ....

All in all a rather nice day ....

Jabez Cowboy

Snow here, yesterday, in Canada's Capital. Rain washing it away today.

Cool and damp to help develop the cold and flu season, but I got my flu shot yesterday and made an appointment to get my snow tires out of storage and have them installed.

Jabez: Tried the Open Tops at Eastern Ontario Shooting Club, (Home of the Ottawa Valley Marauders, www.ovmcowboys.ca )

From a rest, they shoot high with the light TB loads, I use in the Spencer. The heavier TB loads tightened the groups and lowered the POI and were pretty good to shoot. I still have some room to load up the TB, a coupe of points, before it gets into red line territory, according to the bible.

I'm using a 250 gr RNFP lead bullet, but I wonder what a lighter bullet might do?

Grey Beard: You and Granny get better. Prayers still heading your way west.

Might ask for a couple for She-Who-Must-Be-Obeyed here with me. Her diabetic condition and the complications are worsening.

Edited by Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474

Grey Beard is back in the Hospital due to get an infection , But it was caught early ,,,,,So they should be able to get it stopped soon... Prayers Needed ...

Kid , You should try some 3F in those Open-Tops ...

Jabez Cowboy

Grey Beard is back in the Hospital due to get an infection , But it was caught early ,,,,,So they should be able to get it stopped soon... Prayers Needed ...

Jabez Cowboy

Granny just got me back home from the hospital due to an infection in the incision from my Oct 7th surgery. Last Thursday morning I woke up to an incision that was oozing profusely. Everything was good when I went to bed on Wednesday so it must have started during the night. I ended up in the ER and was admitted to the hospital after the opened up the incision to drain the puss. Thank goodness they caught it early but now I'm really laid up. It incision has to heal from the inside out without the aid of stiches or staples. So here I sit for at least 6 weeks, not allowed to bend or lift anything heavier than a cup of coffee. The good news is no house work. LOL

GB

Tell Granny to NOT over fill yer mug as ya don't need the strain...

Many fills is what you need ... Tell her pie really goes well with coffee ...

Might be able to slip-in a Sask. shoot in the up-coming year ...

Jabez Cowboy

Still sending some knee mail for Grey Beard and Granny.

I guess we won't have to heat up the cauterizing iron Grey Beard, but you get healing! (Hey, it's period correct!)

As for me, the ribs are healing and the cortisone shot in the knee is helping me walk without looking like Chester."​Marshal Dillon, Marshal Dillon" ☺

Looks like I'll be well enough to be a nuisance at Winter Camp come February and poison folks as camp cook.

Jabez: In regards to the new-to-me Open tops and 3F: I used to shoot Holy Black, when I started out in CAS, but I found I was too tired to clean up things properly after I dragged my aching bones home, so I switched to the Heathen smokeless and gave up being a Soot Lord.

In those days, I shot a '58 Remington and a Dragoon in .44, a '92 Rossi in .44 special and a '97 Winnie. A case of "Shoot what ya got"

Don't have any of them any more. Now it's two SASS NMV's, a '66 and a SASS '73 in .45 Colt and a Wyatt Earp open hammer in 12 ga.

Oh, and a 1911 and another '97 for Wild Bunch.

Them Open-Tops is easy ta Clean ,,, Fill a Basin/Sink (in Camper) with hot water and little dish-soap..Pop the wedges, drop da barrel , cylinder and wedge in the water,,,, wipe the rest down with a rag

soaked in Ballisol .... A couple of passes through each cylinder hole and bore with a brush, wipe the

wedges then set the warm paets on some paper towel to dry ... Have a Cold one for da grump!!!

Then make a couple of passes threw each hole with Balistol on a patch put them back together ,,, good

to go ... It's da rifle that takes the time ta clean ,,, or the 97/87 ...

Doubles is easy ta clean and my 66 in .38-40 only needs the bore cleaned and a shot of balistol on the carrier and a wipe down with an oily rag ... It gets the side plates taken of bout once a year for a

more complete cleaning ....

Coffee fer da Grumps ...

Jabez Cowboy

I think I'll stay with my TB for regular shooting and save th Holy Black for special occasions, (Like when the mosquitos invade the range☺)

I find it a bit trickey loading BP and shotshells are a real treat.

I find shooting .45 Colt in my '66 and '73 gets a lot of stuff in the action, from blow-back, in spite of a tighter than usual crimp.

Maybe if I was using .44-40 it would improve, but that means more irons and .44-40 brass around here seems a little scarce.

Packing up right now to head off to the deer camp for next week's opening.

Wish me luck.

Kid ;

I wish da deer luck .....

There that should make him Grumpy ....

I would suggest .38-40 over da .44-40 ............

Jabez Cowboy

Kid ;

Da .38-40 is a 40 ..................

Forty Rod good to see you is still on da green side off da grass ...

Coffee an Cinnimon Buns fer da Grumps ....

Jabez Cowboy

I'm guessing it's hard to be Grumpy in the USA ,,,, Now ...

All the best ...

Coffee and peach crumble fer da Grumps ...

Jabez Cowboy

Oh LORD ​!, there is even celebrating among a lot of us here in Upper Canada, never mind in Rupertsland!!

(Sure hope there will be some spill across the Medicine Line.)

Back from getting my Free Range, Antibiotic and hormone free winter meat supplement. Couple of nice bucks for Doctor-Doctor Bob and I.

Only trouble is he got both!

Oh well. There's always next year. Good thing I picked up a chain block and replaced our grinder with a powered version. Those lads were heavy!

Well, She-Who-Must-Be-Obeyed is calling, the fresh perked coffee and slices of fresh baked Banana Loaf are waiting.

Chimo.

Already made up a Sweet and Sour Stew, from my SIL's receipe. Picking her up from the Nursing Residence to enjoy it.

She likes game meals and became a real Canadian Outdoor GIrl before her stroke. (Not bad for a girl from Amritsar!)

Well where is all da Grumps.........................

Bring yer Butcher Knives ,,,,,,,,,, We got some meat cutting ta do ....

Coffee's on ....

Jabez Cowboy

• Like 1

Coffee's on ....

Jabez Cowboy

Way to go Jabez!!!!! I wish I could help all this couch time is making me grumpy or at least that's what Granny says. She also says no hunting for me this year and is threatening to hide my truck keys. Speaking of my truck I took it in to have new tires put on for the winter and when they where moving it out of the shop the mechanic driving side swiped a car in the parking lot ripping off the passenger side running board and severely denting the cab. That got me a tad grumpy as well. To top it off they tried to charge me an extra $23.00 a tire over the quote. We had a chat and I wasn't grumpy any more. LOL Well until I had to sit back down on the couch that is.

Edited by Grey Beard

Coffee's on ....

Jabez Cowboy

ALL RIGHT Jabez !!

​Whatcha get? Huh? Whatcha get?

​Where? When How?

Details pardner, Details.

​The powered grinder is here, all cleaned up and ready to go.

The weigh scale I calibrated.

Got a bunch of Zip-Lock bags in unopened boxes ready for hamburg, stew meat, roasts and steaks.

Oh dang. Wait a minute.

You're out in God's Country and I'm stuck here in Latte Land.

Dang.

Well, as long as he offers a few tid-bits to his sire......

And I said Tid-Bits, NOT Tim-Bits.

(​Do ya think we'll have to explain that one to our pards south of the Medicine Line?​)

​​Grumpy here right now. Foggy as all get out and rain turning to flurries later. Supposed to drop 15 cm of snow Sunday.

Monday's drive into work should be a load of laughs; between the ones who haven't put on their snow tires and everyone who forgot how to drive in snow and ice.

Since I'm retired, I don't have to go anywhere. So I won't.