SASS Wire Forum

Best sights for 200 yd Lever long range rifle

Hopalong Mac McLin

Need some recommendations from some long range shooters. I am looking to modify my old Marlin 30AW (30-30) to a long range competition rifle...200 yards. Does anyone have any recommendations for the best SASS legal sights for this application? I love the Skinner peep sights, but have been told that they are not SASS legal.

The "Smith Ladder" site goes into the rear site dovetail and flips up for longer ranges ,,, Or just get a "Lyman"

peep for the tang ...

Jabez Cowboy

Tried a Smith flipup style but didn't care for the clicks for adjustment. Had a smith mount new improved Marbles tang sight. Marbles is a great sight, but my 86 Win (Miruko) has a tang safety so uses a short base which I have heard later you can just remove tang safety and mount long base over the hole. Bad side of Marbles is the ears on the bolt center around the sight, so your windage adjustment is almost nonexistent. good luck GW

Lee Shaver.

Best bang for the buck. Windage, elevation, and repeatability. Get the econo Soule.

Hopalong - you will be sorry if you don't put a vernier, ie Lee Shaver on the rifle vs a Smith or a Marbles peep.

Why? Accuracy is lacking with a Smith and a Marbles is a pure PITA making sight adjustments for variable distances turning the correct number of clicks up and down.

With a vernier - you obtain your base line setting and then move to the proper MOA for the next distance - the next and so on.

Then say going to 200yds from 100 or 50, etc or reverse - just set the slider to the MOA number you determined when you got your range setting for that distance for the load you shoot - Done

I had a Lyman tang sight on my Marling 45-70. Worked fine out to 200, but the problem was I kept knocking it loose. Plus, it got in way of my thumb. I went to a full buckhorn. I set my sights at 100 yards with the front sight lined up between the 2 horns, kind of like a 3 dot pistol sight. for targets under 100 yds that works pretty well for me out to 150 yds or so. then just aim a tad higher for 200.

I would like to try a Smith ladder sight, but they are pretty pricey.

Lyman or Marbles tang peep and a Lyman 17A. Barrel sights on either a Winchester or Marlin (or clone), are ok for out to about 200 yards if your eyesight is good, but this combination is both a vast improvement and not hard on the pocketbook. ALWAYS wear eye protection.

Need some recommendations from some long range shooters. I am looking to modify my old Marlin 30AW (30-30) to a long range competition rifle...200 yards. Does anyone have any recommendations for the best SASS legal sights for this application? I love the Skinner peep sights, but have been told that they are not SASS legal.

at 200 yds thats still "point and shoot" range

I still use the stock buckhorn sights

Scratch

Archived