SASS Wire Forum

Abbreviations and Acronyms

Hi Folks,

One of our newer shooters has suggested a post here and in the Classifieds with commonly used acronyms and abbreviations.

Following is my plan in that regard:

• Rather than have the thread get cluttered with multiple posts, I will request acronyms and abbreviations from you on this thread.
  • Put them in Excel and sort them alphabetically.
  • Then, post them in a Locked, Pinned Thread in both places.
  • That way, as I see others or people ask me to add others, I can insert them alphabetically.

What do you think?

If anyone likes the idea and has time, please post them in this thread. I'm real busy this week and need all of the help I can get.

Thanks,

Allie Mo

TSHMMAM = THAT SWEET HEART MOD MIZ ALLIE MO

Just don't forget to highlight both columns when you sort them....if not things are gonna get "WONKY"

Kajun

IDK, IIRC YMMV

Other than a very few that as somewhat CAS specific, most can be found with a quick google. And those are fairly intuitive, BP - black powder, WR - winter range, EOT - End of Trail, RNV - Ruger New Vaquero, etc.

It's like going down to Texas, picking up the lingo is half the fun! Where's the fun in looking it up on a spreadsheet?

I'm havin' fun with ya all, I reckon some folks would find it useful, they'd just miss out on the fun of discovery.

Carry on

Grizz

Since I live out in the sticks, don't have a smart phone (actually no phone except a satellite one for emergencies), no children so no grand children I have no idea what most of these acronyms stand for. I only communicate via email since I have satellite internet. I think it might be useful for a few of us.

SxS - Side by Side Shotgun

RNV - Ruger new Vaquero

Pard - a pal, friend. Short for pardner - cowboy speak

Rig - usually refers to the leather belt, holsters, shotgun belt and other items on said belt that the shooter uses.

Leather - usually refers to holsters or similar to rig.

Slicked up - Having a firearms tuned up, internals polished etc to make the faster (in theory)

FFL - federal firearms license - but usually refers to a person holding said license than can transfer firearms.

Holy Black - Authentic black powder (sometimes used to refer to substitutes as well) as opposed to smokless powders.

RNFP - Round Nose, Flat point - bullet shape that is widely used. The bullet has sloping edges and a dull, flat tip.

TCFP - Truncated cone, Flat point - another bullet shape. The bullet has a distinct cone-shaped edges and a flat tip

CAS - Cowboy Action - our beloved sport

CIA - Century International Arms. Manufacturers of reproduction firearms from the era we shoot (not to be confused with IAC)

IAC - Interstate Arms Corporation - Manufacturers of reproduction firearms from the era we shoot. (not to be confused with CIA)

1F, FFF, triple F, 4F etc... demarcates the granularity of black powder.

Soot Lords - shooters who shot black powder only.... or usually... or sometimes... depending...

12GA, 10GA, 16Ga etc.. gauge of shotgun being spoken about.

PM - Personal Message - A means of communication that is private (or personal) via the wire.

Hammered Double - A SxS shotgun that has exposed hammers, also referred to as a "mule eared" double.

Lowered Hammer - A hammer from a Single Action Army or reproduction (or Ruger Vaquero) in which the spur has been sloped more drastically than stock, making it easier to reach one-handed (or so I've been told)

SAA - Single Action Army model 1873. The iconic pistol of the American Cowboy in which the hammer must be manually cocked between shots. This acronym usually can include real colts as well as reproductions that are both faithful and updated.

GOFWG - Grumpy old farts with guns - needs no explanation

Strong side - The holster on the side of the shooters body that corresponds with their strong hand - right handed shooters are "right strong sided"

170, 170 rule, break the 170 etc.. - http://www.sassnet.com/Downloads/SHB%20Version%2021.8.pdf- page 28. read, know, obey.

SA - Single Action. See SAA

OT - Off Topic - usually used to preclude a wire posting that has nothing to do with the area it's being posted in or in regards to non-cowboy/girl doings, goings on, or generic mischief.

Where to send the gold/Gold Dust etc... Refers to money

On the Next stage - It's in the mail

WTS - Want To Sell

WTB - Want to Buy

WTT - Want to Trade

BTT - Bump to Top - causes a post or classified at to "float" to the top of the forum it's posted in to make viewing easier. Forum rules goven it's use.

Miroku - The folks that now make lever actions with the Winchester name on it.

BP - Black Powder

SPF - Sold Pending Funds

SPT - Sold Pending Trade

SPI - Sale Pending Inspection

FTF - Face to Face - Seller prefers to meet in person and does not want to ship an item.

FS - For Sale

'97 - Usually refers to the Winchester model 1897 pump shotgun (or a modern clone) that is legal for CAS and WB

WB - Wild Bunch

IMHO - In My Humble Opinion

IMNSHO - In my not so humble opinion.

FWIW - For What it's worth

AFAIAC - As Far as I'm Concerned

ATSL - Along the Same Lines

AFAICT - As Far as I can tell

GMAFB - Gimme a break (you can figure out the real meaning)

IDK - I don't know

WYSIWYG - What you see is what you get

M02, M2c - My 2 Cents

OP - Original Poster

IB2D - I beg to differ

FB - Facebook

WTC - Whats the Call? - usually a scenario is given and people are asked what penalties, if any, should have or have not been awarded)

Hows that for starters?

PWB = PALEWOLF BRUNELLE

RTM = READ THE %&^($&% manual (PWB favorite answer!)

Good list, HD.

Not sure if used on Classified Wire much, but I seem to hear FYI around the house...For Your Information or JFYI...Just FYI.

Also CAS related could be use of abbreviation FA or FAs, referring to Freedom Arms revolvers. 97s could be attached to this, as in Freedom Arms model 97s (small Colt size frame, '83 referring to large frame, 454 Casull size used often in hunting handgun comments)

B.O.L.D. (Benevolent Order of Law Dawgs)

D.R.T. ( Dead Right There)

AD: accidental discharge, usually of the lead type

10-10-4: very common pistol, rifle shotgun stage shot count, will vary by stage

10+1 on rifle: start with ten loaded and load one on the clock.

SS: short-stroked

And to add to TB's list, 10-10-4+, meaning must shoot 10 rifle-10 pistol - and 4 shotgun but + refers to extra shotgun rounds, if desired, for re-makes (reshooting shotgun knockdown target)

Since I live out in the sticks, don't have a smart phone (actually no phone except a satellite one for emergencies), no children so no grand children I have no idea what most of these acronyms stand for. I only communicate via email since I have satellite internet. I think it might be useful for a few of us.

I could not understand where all the Wide Butt (WB) shooters were coming from to get that many at a shoot.

ROA Ruger old Army

USFA US firearms co.

APP American Pioneer Powder

RBV Ruger Bisley vaquero

BFI- Buncha Fine Individuals

Yeah, but caliber followed by clarifier is easier to understand.

CR

Agreed, but I was not the one to name it.

TDMW

(too darn much work)

:-)

Hurricane Deck,

great list.

But I noticed that your 'What you see is what you get' acronym has a couple letters out of place. You might want to check it out.

Thanks for the good list.

..........Widder

Not acronyms, but in a similar way, I think the common names for the various types of "sweeps" should be offered as well.

There are a couple of multi-page documents listing the various "sweeps" (with Regional variations in naming) that were posted up on personal/club websites some years ago.

Crooked River Bob's

Double B Ranch

Reloading:

* FPS = Feet per second,velocity

*CUP = Copper Units of Pressure, measurement different from FPS

* gr = grain weight

* vol = volumetric weight

* Pb = Symbol for Lead

* Metplat = the flat part of the bullet nose

* FL Die = Full Length Seating Die

* COAL - Cartridge Overall Length

* Muzzle - front end of the barrel bore

* Breech - the first part of the chamber for a loaded round

* Leade - area of minor taper just ahead of the rifling origin

* Crown - degree tapering of muzzle

* Twist - The 1 inch rotation of a bullet in a barrel bore 1:14, etc

* Forcing cone - see Leade

* MOA - Minutes of Angle inches for determining trajectory settings for bullet drop at various distances

Hurricane Deck,

great list.

But I noticed that your 'What you see is what you get' acronym has a couple letters out of place. You might want to check it out.

Thanks for the good list.

..........Widder

Thanks,. I was furiously typing! I got it fixed.

Archived