SASS Wire Forum

TrailBoss in .45 colt

Rhsty Heatmore

Just got my Dillon setup for 45 colt and looking for recipe's for trailboss and 45 colt with 255 RNFP.

Could anybody Please PM me with recipe's for what works for them.

Any help would be appreciated.

Howdy,

Check the Hodgdon Website, www.hodgon.com. I started at the minimum load and worked my way up to find a load that performed to my satisfaction without exceeding the maximum. I have a Dillon 550 and find the large charge bar works best for Trailboss Powder.

Hasta Luego, Keystone

Trail Boss minimum loads generally perform poorly, I'd say start in the middle,work up a little at a time if need be for what you want out of it.

Use the large powder bar.

Don't need to use large bar.

I found my old model RVs, my new model RVs, my 1866 and my 1873 all shot closer to POA when the charges were high.

(Being a WARTHOG, it never becomes a problem.​)

Trail Boss is a little slow for light loads. But with a 255g bullet, it doesn't sound like you are trying for the lightest loads. Trail Boss works well, follow the references already mentioned. I used the small powder measure on my square deal, but I was shooting light charges and 200g bullets. IIRC, the small powder measure on the Square Deal was limited to about 5-6 grains of Trail Boss. So you may need to switch to the large powder measure, depending on what you are doing. I did not find a good result with Trail Boss and light loads. Switched to Red Dot. More consistent results across the chrono.

The loads suggested in the upper end load data are still low pressure loads , but burn Much Cleaner and with much lower SD ...

And are less affected by temp. changes ...

Jabez Cowboy

Thanks everyone for the great info. I guess it leads me to another question though, what weight bullet is the best for .45?

I have got plenty of time to experiment as i wont really be using the .45 colt until next season, I have been using .38s

But looking at going to CC next year.

Like you, I've been shooting .38s but the allure of the .45 is undeniable. I've been experimenting, too. Both with .45 (long) Colt and .45 Cowboy Specials. Here's my take on it, but I'm still pretty much a newbie. From what I've seen, it depends on your approach to the game. I've seen shooters a whoopin' and a hollerin' with full house black powder loads in .45 colt, with smoke and recoil as expected. Not really competitive, but having a lot of fun. If you are interested in faster times, then I think you are looking at lighter bullets (down to 160g perhaps) and maybe .45 cowboy special brass and commensurate loads to keep recoil manageable and sights on target. What are you thinking?

Thanks everyone for the great info. I guess it leads me to another question though, what weight bullet is the best for .45?

I have got plenty of time to experiment as i wont really be using the .45 colt until next season, I have been using .38s

But looking at going to CC next year.

BEST? Ford - Chevy. Less filling - tastes great. Ginger - Mary Ann. All questions that are impossible to answer. I came to SASS from the 1911 world. I shot .45 ACP with 200 grn LRN. When I first stated shooting cowboy I used .45 Colt. Since I had a few thousand on hand I saw no reason to change the bullets I was using. So the "best" weight for me was 200 grn.

BEST? Ford - Chevy. Less filling - tastes great. Ginger - Mary Ann. All questions that are impossible to answer. I came to SASS from the 1911 world. I shot .45 ACP with 200 grn LRN. When I first stated shooting cowboy I used .45 Colt. Since I had a few thousand on hand I saw no reason to change the bullets I was using. So the "best" weight for me was 200 grn.

I was with you until Ginger and Mary Ann! That one IS easy to answer........ Mary Ann without even a second thought or hesitation! :D

I don't mind heavier bullets and shoot 230g in my 1911's but the most common lead bullet I came across is the 200g RNFP so I use those in the 45 Colt loads.

I was with you until Ginger and Mary Ann! That one IS easy to answer........ Mary Ann without even a second thought or hesitation! :D

I don't mind heavier bullets and shoot 230g in my 1911's but the most common lead bullet I came across is the 200g RNFP so I use those in the 45 Colt loads.

I am with you on Mary Ann 100% :D

I'm a Ginger fan myself.... :)

On my .45 colt loads using trailboss I was fine with the minimum using my Ruger Vaqueros. But when I shoot my .45 Uberti opentops I was getting some backed out primers which jammed the cylinder. I bumped the charge up about half a grain and it fixed the primer issue.

EDIT: This was with 200gr bullets. I shoot 250s out of my rifle but not the pistol.

Like you, I've been shooting .38s but the allure of the .45 is undeniable. I've been experimenting, too. Both with .45 (long) Colt and .45 Cowboy Specials. Here's my take on it, but I'm still pretty much a newbie. From what I've seen, it depends on your approach to the game. I've seen shooters a whoopin' and a hollerin' with full house black powder loads in .45 colt, with smoke and recoil as expected. Not really competitive, but having a lot of fun. If you are interested in faster times, then I think you are looking at lighter bullets (down to 160g perhaps) and maybe .45 cowboy special brass and commensurate loads to keep recoil manageable and sights on target. What are you thinking?

I'm thinking if someone is looking to reduce their stage times, they will likely get more measurable results from improving their gun handling and shotgun loading than working on recoil reduction. I can and have loaded my .45s down to about equal with a light .38spl, it didn't seem to help me shoot any faster.

I'm also thinking, (it's raining so I'm thinking) that our local gun store likes their Trailboss so much that they'll charge $32/9oz, I'm gonna let them keep it.

btw; anybody know anyone that picks Ginger?

Hi I have been using Trail Boss for a while....

Hope this helps you.

Stormy, you may want to read the rules about posting load data. It's a no-no. And I will say that the load you posted is WAY under what the manufacture recommends. It may knock down plates but it's a dangerously low one.

On Trail Boss in .45 Colt- DO NOT use minimum powder charges- you will experience incomplete burning; much unburned powder spewed from the barrel of my Original Vaquaros when I tried this. Had MUCH better result turning up the wick a bit, so to speak. Got REALLY NICE results using .45 Schofield brass , due to the smaller internal volume of the cases. Watch the wt of your charges- TrailBoss "bridges" badly in some powder measures, resulting in widely varied charge weights . I used a vibrating device taped to my powder measure to help assure consistent charge weights. Crimp well- this shall aid in better ignition of powder before the bullet starts on it's way - milliseconds matter!

How to work up loads using Trail Boss for any caliber / bullet combination.

www.imrpowder.com/PDF/Trail-Boss-data.pdf

Rhsty Heathmore,

Before I switched over to Alliant Black MZ for all my cowboy pistols and rifles, I was using Trailboss for all my cowboy shooting guns and loved it. As far as loads or recipes go, there is no need to share any personal loads, all you need to do is read the link in Dave's post, follow the simple 1-2-3 steps and you can't go wrong.

I found that following IMR's formula was perfect for all my various calibers regardless of what bullet I was using.

Howdy,

I shoot 45lc 200gr RNFP out of 5-1/2" Colts & Colt Clones. I load right in the middle between the minimum & maximum recommended load with a good crimp from a lee factory crimp die. All four pistols shoot POA. Misses aren't from ammo or sight alignment just an impatient shooter. Hope you find a good load for your circumstances.

Hasta Luego, Keystone

On Trail Boss in .45 Colt- DO NOT use minimum powder charges- you will experience incomplete burning; much unburned powder spewed from the barrel of my Original Vaquaros when I tried this. Had MUCH better result turning up the wick a bit, so to speak. Got REALLY NICE results using .45 Schofield brass , due to the smaller internal volume of the cases. Watch the wt of your charges- TrailBoss "bridges" badly in some powder measures, resulting in widely varied charge weights . I used a vibrating device taped to my powder measure to help assure consistent charge weights. Crimp well- this shall aid in better ignition of powder before the bullet starts on it's way - milliseconds matter!

You know, I don't get it. I've been using a min charge of Trail Boss with a 200 grain bullet in .45 Colt, .44-40, 44 Special, .44 Magnum for years with no ill effects. How is that that I have had no problems when there seems to be a conventional wisdom that this is a bad idea?

The only think I can think of is that while everyone else uses a powder measure or a dipper or a charger or something, I weigh each and every charge on a scale before it goes into the case. (I do this with every caliber I load.) Could this be the difference that lets it work for me and be spotty for everyone else?

You know, I don't get it. I've been using a min charge of Trail Boss with a 200 grain bullet in .45 Colt, .44-40, 44 Special, .44 Magnum for years with no ill effects. How is that that I have had no problems when there seems to be a conventional wisdom that this is a bad idea?

The only think I can think of is that while everyone else uses a powder measure or a dipper or a charger or something, I weigh each and every charge on a scale before it goes into the case. (I do this with every caliber I load.) Could this be the difference that lets it work for me and be spotty for everyone else?

I doubt that your lack of issues with minimum TB loads has anything to do with measuring every charge. I've found that TB meters extremely accurately through my RCBS Uniflow. Powder measures measure volume and not weight, and since TB is a high volume, low density powder, it takes a relatively large variation in volume to have any significant change in the weight of a charge.

Best regards,

I don't understand some of the concerns mentioned above myself but I don't see it as conventional wisdom either. I do know that you can find published load data on various web sites for Trailboss and you can also use IMR's published formula for determining your own loads which are based on a case, a bullet and some simple measuring! Using THAT formula, I have been shooting at the IMR 70% levels for the past year with absolutely no issues. But then again I have never understood the need to buy the shorter cowboy45 cases or whatever they are called for my 45Colts either. I'm guessing that some shooters are loading REALLY light powder loads in their quest to have a 45Colt recoil like a 32! Perhaps some are loading even lower the IMR 70% level and calling those lower loads their "minimum" loads.

On a forum like this the term "minimum" can mean different things to different people and think there are more of us having no problems than you realize.

Just got my Dillon setup for 45 colt and looking for recipe's for trailboss and 45 colt with 255 RNFP.

Could anybody Please PM me with recipe's for what works for them.

Any help would be appreciated.

Howdy -

I load the .45 Colt with 250 gr LRNFP cast bullets from Missouri Bullet Co., and have for some 7-8 years now, always using either

Titegroup or Trail Boss. Both perform quite well, and since my guns have the sights unaltered, the 250 gr bullets hit to point of

aim at 20 yds without a problem.

I did accuracy testing over the sand bags with both my Colts and Rugers, barrel lengths of 4.6 (Rugers) 4 3/4 (Colt) and 7.5 inches

(both types), and all these guns shoot the same (POA=POI) ragged one hole groups, using the published minimum load of TB.

I shoot a little hotter load of Titegroup for the same accuracy, it runs about 730 f/s from my 7.5 inch guns.

The published min of TB gives me a chrony'd 606 f/s at 10 yds, out of the 7.5 inch guns, and 585 or so out of the 4 3/4 inch guns.

The cases might get sooty, but they get tumble cleaned each time so that's irrelevant. The guns stay fairly clean for a couple of

hundred rounds or practice or a long match, and I clean the after each match, or if it's a two day, I wipe the cylinder face and

swab the bore.

It's a good powder to work with. I use an RCBS progressive loader, and set up my powder measure by throwing ten consecutive

charges into the pan and weighing. I do that until it's throwing exactly the charge weight I want, and then I remeasure it every 4-500

rounds. It's never moved on me, so I'm pretty confident that I'm getting a consistent measure, and that's a hard powder to do that with.

Hope this helps,

Shadow Catcher

I use the Schofield brass with great success in the pistols & sometimes with the 250g bullet in the rifle, was using TB but now switched to AS30 [ which is your clays ] , also switched to 160g in both .I try all combinations but now the current recipe is used by both of us. [ comfortable to shoot & meets all requirements ]

TB is good but clays is IMHO a mite better. !

17 years ago I asked the son, "If we are going to try SASS, what caliber?"

Without hesitation he said, "45 Colt."

Since (IMHO) 45 Colt is a man stopper caliber we went with 250 grain bullet and Titegroup powder a grain under Manufacturer's maximum recomdations.

Archived