SASS Wire Forum

What is the value of a Colt Python?

I thought I had posted this, but apparently got distracted before I got it on line, so here goes. I am looking to get rid of one of my Colt Pythons and was wondering if someone could place a value on them.

4" 357 stainless Python and a 6" 357 nickel plated. Appreciate your comments...

Thanks

KK

Original boxes and documents elevate prices quite a bit. Nickel 6" I believe are running $2,000 -$2,500 w/box in very nice to LNIB condition. Stainless models are higher, and can vary quite a bit if bright stainless or matt finished from the factory.

Here are completed gunbroker auctions for stainless pythons

http://www.gunbroker.com/Revolvers/Completed%2FBCI.aspx?Keywords=*Python&Timeframe=1&NoReserve=1&Condition=3&ff=6500005

4" only stainless

http://www.gunbroker.com/Revolvers/Completed%2FBCI.aspx?Keywords=*Python&Timeframe=1&NoReserve=1&Condition=3&bl=200002&ff=6500005

Here are some completed auctions for 6" nickel

http://www.gunbroker.com/Revolvers/Completed%2FBCI.aspx?Keywords=*python&Timeframe=1&NoReserve=1&bl=200004&ff=6500007

Edit - I looked at the links, and I may have been under value on the 6" nickel.

I just checked auction results from Belcher McPherson Auction Co, Marshall, MI. January auction one with lots of modifications and out of time sold for $1,900. Another with a 6 inch barrel, looked like new, sold for $3000. In March there were two sold one with a 6 inch and one with a 4 inch barrel sold for $2000 each.

Frazee

Thanks for the responses....

KK

I thought I had posted this, but apparently got distracted before I got it on line, so here goes. I am looking to get rid of one of my Colt Pythons and was wondering if someone could place a value on them.

4" 357 stainless Python and a 6" 357 nickel plated. Appreciate your comments...

Thanks

KK

Will be happy to give just what I paid when I bought mine...256 dollars, new...

Texas Lizard

I still have it, box and all...

Average wear, no box, shooter grade run about $2500 around here.

LNIB in your versions run about $3500-$4000 in these parts.

To me, these are more speculative prices than values. Once the heat cools on these guns, the prices will likely drop by as much as half for shooter grade guns, according to a very knowledgeable local dealer.

Regarding value vs. speculative prices: there was a discussion on this topic on the Colt forum today, and I posted this reply:

"If I get a "snake" gun at a low price, I try not to let the sun set before I log it in the books, take plenty of images, and list it for sale somewhere. I don't want to be holding one when the "market" corrects. SAA pistols I will hold for awhile, but I like to play with them more. That is just my way of doing it, not recommending that way to anyone else."

I would rather have two nice SAA pistols, than one Python.

Regarding value vs. speculative prices: there was a discussion on this topic on the Colt forum today, and I posted this reply:

"If I get a "snake" gun at a low price, I try not to let the sun set before I log it in the books, take plenty of images, and list it for sale somewhere. I don't want to be holding one when the "market" corrects. SAA pistols I will hold for awhile, but I like to play with them more. That is just my way of doing it, not recommending that way to anyone else."

I would rather have two nice SAA pistols, than one Python.

I would rather have one Python than two SAA simple because you are right. I can flip the one Python for two SAA and probably have extra left over for a Bob James action job haha.

I thought Bob James was a piano player. Didn't know he now did gunsmith work!

I thought Bob James was a piano player. Didn't know he now did gunsmith work!

Bob James, 'The Arizona Thumber', SASS #319

Check out his website, something like 'The James Gang'.

..........Widder

Archived