SASS Wire Forum

Star lube sizer for cowboy ammo

Hurricane Deck 100366

Is it worth the cost of the magma star to lube/size hand cast bullets for cowboy ammo?

I cast my own using Lee molds. they typically drop right at .358 with my alloy recipe so I've been just tumble lube with a hybrid alox concoction and loading without sizing. I have zero leading issues and cleaning is usually a snap, but I'm not a fan of the ugliness that is usually left on the exposed portion of the bullets that is left from the tumble lube process.

So at this point I'm looking at trying other methods of lubing. The way I see it I have two choice. I can powder coat or I can go more traditional and get a Magma sizer. I don't really want to go with the slower lyman type sizers as I typically lube a couple thousand bullets at a sitting and it's just too slow.

I'm leaning towards the star sizer cause lets face it... I like new toys. BUT: is it really worth the cost for the star sizer/luber just to make cowboy ammo? Is there a less expensive option that has an auto-bullet feeder like the Magma sizer that I am not thinking of?

In order to Powder Coat, I'd have to invest in all the hardware (oven, gun etc.. everything but the compressor) and I'd end up spending about the same amount, but it seems like it would be more involved and

thoughts?

I just switched from pan lubing to a star sizer. I will not go back. It is very fast. I have mine set up where the sized and lubed bullets drop directly into plastic tubes that I then use to feed my Hornady bullet feed die. Dropping the bullet into the sizing die is the only time I touch them.

I cast all my handgun bullets, 9 mm, 45 acp, 45 Colt, 45 Sharps rifle. The Star lube/sizer if one of the best loading investments I have made. It is super fast, and does a great job. Be sure and get the lube heater, you will end up getting it at some time anyway. Also the spade handle is a good investment. You will not believe how fast you can lube bullets.

The Star is the best way to size in volume. But if you only do one caliber and are just looking o make your bullets look better, I think just using less tumble lube would be much easier. Only you know if the better looking bullets is worth the 350 bucks the Star will cost.

Hurricane Deck

Sounds like you have got it sorted out as far as options. Stick with what you are doing which is working fine, or spend money on Star lube-sizer (new toy) to make your bullets pretty. Sounds like you want a new toy (not a bad thing) and financial analysis has nothing to do with 'want'..If Star luber puts a smile on your face, then go for it.

I have owned and used Stars since 1971. They are the top of the line and the easy way to do your lubing on a large scale at a fast speed. I also hand lube my large bore 45-70 rounds and although time consuming, it's a fun part of the hobby. If you have a heavy load and want things done fast, and correctly, then the Star is it. The Star machine does your bullets more concentric than either the RCBS or Lyman presses. I've had as many as three set up at once for different lubes and bullets. I have a extra one at this time if you are interested, contact me @ dshultz47@gmail.com

I have owned and used Stars since 1971. They are the top of the line and the easy way to do your lubing on a large scale at a fast speed. I also hand lube my large bore 45-70 rounds and although time consuming, it's a fun part of the hobby. If you have a heavy load and want things done fast, and correctly, then the Star is it. The Star machine does your bullets more concentric than either the RCBS or Lyman presses. I've had as many as three set up at once for different lubes and bullets. I have a extra one at this time if you are interested, contact me @ dshultz47@gmail.com

Sent ya an email. Thanks!

The Star is a great machine. But whether it's worth it or not is up to you. I've used one for about 15 years. I've also got a Lyman that I use for some of the bullets that I don't shoot very much - no comparison!

Thanks Rusty Shackleford for a great suggestion. Now I may just have to look at bullet feeders!

Well, I found a good deal on Armslist and pulled the trigger. PIcked up a Magma Star lube sizer with three sizers, bullet feeder setup, heater, shovel handle, air cylinder for feeding lube, two inline air line dryers, two regulators (one spare), a PID for temp control and two different bullet punches and 6 sticks of blue lube, and some other misc reloading stuff (case guages, a set of go/no go gauges for 308 etc . . .) for $400. I had to order the 358 sizer die a caliber conversion from Magma.

All told I think I did pretty good. We'll see when it gets here. Now I need a little pancake compressor for the reloading room!

All told I think I did pretty good. We'll see when it gets here. Now I need a little pancake compressor for the reloading room!

Howdy HD, yep sounds like a good deal. Unless yer doing some super duper high speed volume you won't need the air. It's real easy to keep it adjusted by hand. Good Luck :)

Jefro :ph34r: Relax-Enjoy

Well, I found a good deal on Armslist and pulled the trigger. PIcked up a Magma Star lube sizer with three sizers, bullet feeder setup, heater, shovel handle, air cylinder for feeding lube, two inline air line dryers, two regulators (one spare), a PID for temp control and two different bullet punches and 6 sticks of blue lube, and some other misc reloading stuff (case guages, a set of go/no go gauges for 308 etc . . .) for $400. I had to order the 358 sizer die a caliber conversion from Magma.

Here ya go!

Kajun

I've been poly coating my cast bullets and sizing them by pushing them through a Lee sizing die. I mounted the small C press upside down so I can feed the bullets in the top and they push out the bottom. Works same as manual Star. $24 per die set with jar of Lee Alox I stopped using. Takes about two minutes to change calibers.

I'm late to the party...apologies.

I cast my own bullets and do not own a lubricator/sizer.

I shoot mostly black powder. The bullets are Big Lubes from Dick Dastardly, the .38 Slim 125 grain. I dip them into melted beeswax/Crisco (50-50) up to just above the lube groove, and then load them into the cases on a Dillon 550. Any excess lube is easy to clean out of the dies, but I wipe the bullet before it is crimped at the final station, so there isn't much excess to worry about. I get that big groove full of lube plus a coating on the bottom of the bullet. I do not use a wad in the blackpowder cartridges, just powder and the lubed bullet. I am not a fast reloader, but I don't have squibs. If I were shooting for small groups at long range, then I would invest in a lubricator/sizer. But i'm not. I get a good lube star on my rifle muzzle and do not have problems with leading in either the rifle or cartridge handguns.

For those times I shoot smokeless, or load cartridges for my missus and me to use as practice with our concealed carry guns, I lube with Lee Alox. If you can see Alox on the bullet you are probably using too much. I dilute the Alox before tumbling with mineral spirits. You just want to see a slight color change or dulling of the surface on the bullet after the lube has set and dried. If the bullet feels very sticky, you have too much Alox on there.

Is it worth the cost of the magma star to lube/size hand cast bullets for cowboy ammo?

I cast my own using Lee molds. they typically drop right at .358 with my alloy recipe so I've been just tumble lube with a hybrid alox concoction and loading without sizing. I have zero leading issues and cleaning is usually a snap, but I'm not a fan of the ugliness that is usually left on the exposed portion of the bullets that is left from the tumble lube process.

So at this point I'm looking at trying other methods of lubing. The way I see it I have two choice. I can powder coat or I can go more traditional and get a Magma sizer. I don't really want to go with the slower lyman type sizers as I typically lube a couple thousand bullets at a sitting and it's just too slow.

I'm leaning towards the star sizer cause lets face it... I like new toys. BUT: is it really worth the cost for the star sizer/luber just to make cowboy ammo? Is there a less expensive option that has an auto-bullet feeder like the Magma sizer that I am not thinking of?

In order to Powder Coat, I'd have to invest in all the hardware (oven, gun etc.. everything but the compressor) and I'd end up spending about the same amount, but it seems like it would be more involved and

thoughts?

If you are only shooting smokeless, go with Lee's Liquid Alox and put on a thin coat.

Archived