SASS Wire Forum

Guns of the Old West to Stop Publishing

Desert Pete SASS #42168

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One of my favorites... :(

Where did you get this information? I still have a year left on my 2 year subscription :(. Can someone recommend another magazine?

See post #3. Mike writes for them and posted on his Facebook page that they were shutting down the print media.

The info came from an industry trade rag - The Shooting Wire. The publisher is closing its doors after 40 years. No mention of exactly when but it affects other magazines as well. It did not sound like a bankruptcy. More like the business model no longer worked.

Sad to hear and there goes my two year I just signed up for. I suspect that the printed magazine world elsewhere is not far behind either.

Read the news elsewhere that Harris is shutting down all its prints not just GOTOW. Hope they at least let the subscribers know.

From the official announcement it does not sound like they are going to keep any publications going even in digital.

That sure is disappointing.

Trails End, Canceled,

Shoot, Canceled,

Guns of the Old West, Canceled, (and me just upping my subscription)

It was a fairly pricey subscription, but worth it, IMHO.

It would be interesting to know if it was not making money or just just shut down / not picked up for lack of interest.

I think it was a great way for mainstream people to learn about CAS.

It would be great if the SASS chronicle could be merged with GOTOW somehow.

Even if it was just above a break even, it would be good to keep mainstream awareness of our sport.

Then again, I would also like to see a new Merwin Hulbert reproduction offered. lol

It would be great if the SASS chronicle could be merged with GOTOW.

This is truly depressing news...I actually just put all of my issues into a binder too, make sure I keep them all in one place. And I too, just renewed...

See post #3. Mike writes for them and posted on his Facebook page that they were shutting down the print media.

Oh, ok. I did not know that. I was trying to confirm but didn't see anything on their website except that they haven't updated to the Spring issue yet. It's a shame, I really enjoyed GOTOW.

So we're out the money if we just renewed??? What a rip off!!! They go home with our money! I don't know about you guys but I'm pi$%#@ off!!! :angry:

At an airport, I spotted an issue of Guns of the Old West. I was delighted to learn that people were making copies of 'cowboy guns'.

I was even more delighted to learn that there were folks actually shooting and competing with cowboy guns.

And here I am today.

So we're out the money if we just renewed??? What a rip off!!! They go home with our money! I don't know about you guys but I'm pi$%#@ off!!! :angry:

I think it's a little bit too early to get upset. Give them a chance. I will be upset if they don't offer refunds, but it's too early to assume that they wont.

Unfortunately folks print media is on its way out much like buggy whips, covered wagons, film cameras it's just to expensive compared to digital media. The San Diego Union Tribune used to be worth the subscription price of $30.00 per month just for the want ads, but now there are no more want ads and they want $54.00 a month for home delivery in my area, no thank you. I can read the same news on my iPad for free. I'm thinking that in the not to distant future the powers that be at SASS will determine that the quarterly printed Chronicle will be to expensive to continue to send out.

Unfortunately folks print media is on its way out much like buggy whips, covered wagons, film cameras it's just to expensive compared to digital media. The San Diego Union Tribune used to be worth the subscription price of $30.00 per month just for the want ads, but now there are no more want ads and they want $54.00 a month for home delivery in my area, no thank you. I can read the same news on my iPad for free. I'm thinking that in the not to distant future the powers that be at SASS will determine that the quarterly printed Chronicle will be to expensive to continue to send out.

I fear you are correct about the quarterly Chronicle. We are a bunch of dinosaurs. I like paper but I realize I am a statistical minority. The magizine section at my local Safeway has shrunk over the past six months from almost half an aisle with over a hundred different titles to just a few shelves and a couple of dozen mags. Same at Walgreens and CVA.

Agreed. If GOTOW would continue digitally I wouldn't mind (although I am old enough to appreciate having a paper copy). It's just a shame that it is apparently going away all together. I enjoyed reading the articles and learned quute a bit about "cowboy" guns from that magazine.

Damn, I have only rcd one copy of my first subscription, I only just discovered it over here.

Add delivery to Australia and it is a pretty expensive magazine, but was worth it for the adds alone (I am so jealous of the variety and quality of gear you guys n gals can get).

Very sad to hear another of my favorite magazines biting the dust. These were always a great way to spread information on Cowboy Action Shooting, history of firearms new and old and the amazing wild west.

Maybe we are dinasaurs in one sense, but the future generation will still need to be informed, educated and the present generation needs to be sustained to keep the interest up. Its not easy for me anyway, to grab a handy ipad and flip glossy photos of cowboy action photos and peruse the advertisements then leave the ipad in my barber shop or doctor's office for others to read.

Rev

About the only time I read a newspaper anymore is when I get a free copy at a hotel or pick up an abandoned paper at my employer's cafeteria. I like printed media but like much of the world am use to free, electronic media. I too like the quarter Cowboy Chronicle as a printed tabloid and hope SASS can continue it.

It sort of reminds me of how thankful we were for kerosene lanterns, then my Dad signed on for electricity, then a radio, then indoor plumbing, then TV, then a telephone, then the mules were fun to ride when the tractor arrived, the 36 Ford went for a 48 coupe, mom got an electric stove, I sold seeds and got a Daisy Red Ryder, then I learned to read and write, graduated 3 times, and I'll be darned if things don't just keep changing. Sure am glad Dad bet on the Mets and bought all that Microsoft. As time brings change, it increases what we have seen change and probably and hopefully will see change. Sure like Guns of the Old West. Will miss it if ceases.

Will be missed, but I just picked up a copy of Gunslingers, published four times a year. Not a bad magazine, but not up to par with Guns of the Old West. I still like to have a magazine, even thought most info can be had on the web.

Amazon says Gunslingers is semi-annual (twice a year). Is Amazons site wrong?

Guldurnitall ! Just renewed that about a month ago for 2 years. Never got one issue off the new subscription. Really liked that rag too! Glad I kept all the old ones.....I'll just keep re-reading 'em over and over. Wait.....I already do that! Well, a couple more times won't hurt.

Deadeye Dingus

Archived