SASS Wire Forum

Side by Side

Waimea

Call Johnny Meadows at Camp Verde Gunworks. He will advise you according to your budget. All of us shoot SKB 100's.

Waimea, The SKB's and Brownings are really nice guns but expensive. It costs almost as much to convert an SKB trigger from inertia to mechanical as a Stoeger costs! I'm told that the conversion is about $300, while I paid $325 for my single trigger Stoeger (used of course).

I have been using a Stoeger Supreme, single trigger for about 4 years now and after some initial modifications for function, I've had no problems with it. I have found that with some people the gun will double but it never has with me. I tried to analyze what caused the doubling and came to the conclusion that the problem was with the trigger squeeze.

Some folks squeeze a shotgun trigger just like they would squeeze a target rifle trigger, pressing back slowly until the trigger breaks unexpectedly. When the gun recoils from the first shot, the finger is separated from the trigger for a split second, but during recovery the finger re-engages the trigger and pulls it a second time. The result is a double shot.

I think that this could be remedied with heavier trigger springs and/or changing the angle on the sear engagement for a little heavier pull.

You are welcome to try out my Stoeger any time you'd like. Let me know. I'll have it at our match in Orlando on May 7.

The only Stoegers I've seen with problems have been the stainless frame models. I still love my two double triggers Stoegers. The one has 30 years of competitive shooting behind it... still tight

Waimea, The SKB's and Brownings are really nice guns but expensive. It costs almost as much to convert an SKB trigger from inertia to mechanical as a Stoeger costs! I'm told that the conversion is about $300, while I paid $325 for my single trigger Stoeger (used of course).

I have been using a Stoeger Supreme, single trigger for about 4 years now and after some initial modifications for function, I've had no problems with it. I have found that with some people the gun will double but it never has with me. I tried to analyze what caused the doubling and came to the conclusion that the problem was with the trigger squeeze.

Some folks squeeze a shotgun trigger just like they would squeeze a target rifle trigger, pressing back slowly until the trigger breaks unexpectedly. When the gun recoils from the first shot, the finger is separated from the trigger for a split second, but during recovery the finger re-engages the trigger and pulls it a second time. The result is a double shot.

I think that this could be remedied with heavier trigger springs and/or changing the angle on the sear engagement for a little heavier pull.

You are welcome to try out my Stoeger any time you'd like. Let me know. I'll have it at our match in Orlando on May 7.

I think you're right about the dbl fires,,,,, I was shooting birds with my skb, mechanical trigger, switched to heavy loads and whamo and dbl,,,, thot I had broken it!!!!

"You are welcome to try out my Stoeger any time you'd like. Let me know. I'll have it at our match in Orlando on May 7."

Thanks, Sam.

Some really good info there.

You appealed to my frugal nature.

Frugal nature? I'd never have guessed in tens of seconds.

:lol:

You need to tell Culpepper, I'm not rich.

:o:lol:

Waimea

:FlagAm:

• 3 weeks later...

I received a lot of information on doubles offline.

Many offers of help and guns.

In the end I got an offer from a good friend and awesome gunsmith for his personal backup gun that I couldn't pass up.

THANKS ROUGHNECK ROD!!

The gun is a Baikal with two triggers.

VERY SWEET.

Waimea

It is not difficult. Pull the forearm off the barrels and look at the underside. It should be apparent what is needed.

Johnny M.

928-300-6684 during daylight hours

• 6 months later...

I bought a Stoeger new in the box back in about 1995-1996 (double trigger). Still using it, and I did some minor work on it. Polished the chambers and disconnected the safety. Had to tight the plates that hold the firing pins every now and then but have not had any problems with it. I have had several more Stoegers since then for backups but have never really ever needed them. I have one extra right now that I might part with.

If you have lots to spend, get a Browning or SKB. If you just want to try one, get a Stoeger and save the cash. I have not had any luck with any of the Chinese or Russian doubles, and the old Stevens may cost as much as a new or used Stoeger. Usually, you can get 90% of your cash back on a Stoeger if you upgrade or keep it for a backup. Also, use shells with the smooth sides, Winchester AA's or Remington STS's, as these work best in double barrel shotguns.

Still have an extra Stoeger that you are willing to part with? I made the rookie mistake of buying a Century Arms Hammered double 2 years ago and have been fighting with it ever since! Not a bad shotgun...but I just cannot get used to cocking those hammers, I often forget and lose time. What are your thoughts on triggers...double vs single on the Stoegers?

What no 87? I agree get it from Johnny and you'll love it I've gotten baikals and a skb from him and they all work great between the two the baikal is heavy and a tank the skb is light the browning is exspensive I prefer the double trigger mechanical setups over the recoil cocking setup less to go wrong never had a stoeger but I read a lot had cracked receivers from the abuse we give them. I like the skb for sass loads but the recoil with anything heavier is felt whereas the weight of the baikals absorbs a lot of it. I'm shooting cc so both are out for me I shoot my 87 or ttn.

10 gauge 3-1/4" AyA Matador!!! :D

-97 & Stoeger 20 plus a .410 for students and for loaners.

I have 3 baikal single trigger.Two 12 ga and one .410 all done by Johnny Meadows.I have a SKB done by Johnny Meadows.They all are super slick.All are mech. trigger.

Edited by Pit Bull Tex

Dutch

You would think that being all thumbs would work in my favor for a hammered double but alas it REALLY does not.

I gotta keep it simple.

You may recall I had a stock TTN double.

I shouda spent some money and had it worked on but I'm stubborn and cheap.

Still thinking hard about the bandoleer thing though. :)

Waimea

Dutch

You would think that being all thumbs would work in my favor for a hammered double but alas it REALLY does not.

I gotta keep it simple.

You may recall I had a stock TTN double.

I shouda spent some money and had it worked on but I'm stubborn and cheap.

Still thinking hard about the bandoleer thing though. :)

Waimea

Yep that's it..go no further ..SKB 200 & a Bandoleer..'Perfect''

I bought two Stoegers about 9 years ago.

Slicked one up and keept the other one for a back up.

Never need it.

Double trigger Stoegeris tough to beat for the money .